Super Hard (70 Rc) High Speed Steels – Maxamet, Rex 121, and More Explained

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Larrin

Super Hard (70 Rc) High Speed Steels – Maxamet, Rex 121, and More Explained

Post by Larrin »

New article about super hard high speed steels. I included information on the history of the development of these steels. Toughness and edge retention values on Maxamet, and a comparison with the toughness of Rex 121. Also a comparison with other knife steels in terms of toughness, edge retention, etc. https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/12/02/ ... explained/
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
The Meat man

Re: Super Hard (70 Rc) High Speed Steels – Maxamet, Rex 121, and More Explained

Post by The Meat man »

Thank you Larrin! Great read and very informative.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Awesome, Larrin! Thanks for your work. I read it once, but will have to read again for better understanding.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Again Larrin another great thread :) Since I had my ups and downs with ZDP-189 I've kind of strayed away from exceedingly hard steels. It seems like many of those super hard steels have an Achilles Heel when used as a knife blade steel. At least that's been some of my own experience anyway.

Oh I like stuff in the Rc 59 to 62 range but it seems like when you go higher than that there are a lot of trade offs with overall performance.

But this is great information as you always are so gracious to share with us.
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:32 am
Again Larrin another great thread :) Since I had my ups and downs with ZDP-189 I've kind of strayed away from exceedingly hard steels. It seems like many of those super hard steels have an Achilles Heel when used as a knife blade steel. At least that's been some of my own experience anyway.

Oh I like stuff in the Rc 59 to 62 range but it seems like when you go higher than that there are a lot of trade offs with overall performance.

But this is great information as you always are so gracious to share with us.
For certain steels they can maintain quite good toughness even up to 64 Rc or so. In the 66 Rc and beyond though there are definitely limits.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Larrin, another excellent article!
I think we are very fortunete that Spyderco is not afraid to work with Maxamet and it´s crazy when you think about it that you have one the best edge holding steel in production knife.

HAP 72 would be cool as a Seki-City sprint run.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Pancake wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:57 am
Larrin, another excellent article!
I think we are very fortunete that Spyderco is not afraid to work with Maxamet and it´s crazy when you think about it that you have one the best edge holding steel in production knife.

HAP 72 would be cool as a Seki-City sprint run.
I agree Spyderco is probably the best production company in terms of providing a diverse array of steel options, often in sprint runs, to please the steel nerds. I'm sure it's not cheap or easy to do.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Great read Larrin, thanks! This article covered some things I have tried to look up over the years. It's easy to get info on the more well known steels but the old ones that are no longer used have been largely forgotten. You must have a better library than I do. :)

Joe
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

The Mastiff wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:33 pm
Great read Larrin, thanks! This article covered some things I have tried to look up over the years. It's easy to get info on the more well known steels but the old ones that are no longer used have been largely forgotten. You must have a better library than I do. :)

Joe
For steel history I have had to work really hard. Getting articles that are not available digitally and obviously are not searchable. When patents are available that makes it easier but even finding those is more challenging than I expected. It took me several months to find the patent for D2, for example. But there are many common tool steels without patents and you have to track down contemporary journal articles. Most articles by metallurgists do not cite the history of a steel in it, and most of them do not know the history. At best you might get, "D2 has been used for several decades for dies." I believe I may know more about the history of tool steel than anyone alive. If anyone knows more I would definitely like to know who they are because they could have saved me a lot of time. Certainly searching the Wikipedia is going to tell you almost nothing.
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

Awesome I'll read this tonight once I get home and relax a bit.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Very interesting. Thanks.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Thanks once again!
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Thank you, always. As usual, I'll have to read it several times to digest the material completely.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Thanks again Larrin!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Thanks for another great article, Larrin. The historical aspect of your research is greatly appreciated.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

For steel history I have had to work really hard. Getting articles that are not available digitally and obviously are not searchable. When patents are available that makes it easier but even finding those is more challenging than I expected. It took me several months to find the patent for D2, for example. But there are many common tool steels without patents and you have to track down contemporary journal articles. Most articles by metallurgists do not cite the history of a steel in it, and most of them do not know the history. At best you might get, "D2 has been used for several decades for dies." I believe I may know more about the history of tool steel than anyone alive. If anyone knows more I would definitely like to know who they are because they could have saved me a lot of time. Certainly searching the Wikipedia is going to tell you almost nothing.
I didn't get as far as you have and I have tried researching the M and t series for several years. There may be some university libraries here and there that benefited from some retirees donated papers but largely the only information online is more inclined to be advertising than reference material. I even bought a 1920's era salesman's General Catalog ( Tool and special steels : Vanadium Alloys Steel Co., Colonial Steel/Anchor Drawn) on Ebay in my pursuit as an example of the places I've looked. So far your writings have the most comprehensive info I've found so thanks! :)

Joe
sal

Post by sal »

Hi
Larrin,

Excellent!

Thanx for posting here and sharing your hard work. I also found the CATRA accurate in most cases, from our own research. Also your "predictions" were also good.

We are pleased to be able to provide many of these steels in blade formation so those interested can actually use and test the steel on their own.

sal
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

A big takeaway for a laymen like me is
Maxamet with a value of 222 for 68 Rc has approximately 2.2x the edge retention of 440C at 59 Rc if both have the same edge geometry and sharpening.
Maxamet will only cut twice as long as 440C. :eek: I'll stick to my softer steels. It really doesn't seem worth the hassle of decreased toughness and being harder to sharpen just to get 2x the cutting.
husq2100

Post by husq2100 »

Thank you Larrin for the info and to the spyderco team for giving us the varities.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:07 am
A big takeaway for a laymen like me is
Maxamet with a value of 222 for 68 Rc has approximately 2.2x the edge retention of 440C at 59 Rc if both have the same edge geometry and sharpening.
Maxamet will only cut twice as long as 440C. :eek: I'll stick to my softer steels. It really doesn't seem worth the hassle of decreased toughness and being harder to sharpen just to get 2x the cutting.
That's an interesting point and well worth further discussion on the forum, I think. Especially as lower carbide steels will have greater edge stability at more acute angles - which in turn has a strong influence on edge retention.

It's probably veering a little off topic for this thread - sorry Larrin - but I'm reminded of this experiment by Cliff Stamp, where he tested how much more acute the microbevel angle of VG10 needed to be to match the edge retention of S30V on 1/2" manila hemp rope.

The answer was a mere 2 1/2 degrees. Yep, that's right - just by applying a slightly more acute microbevel angle, VG10 would match S30V. Then consider the ease of resharpening and relative toughness, too.

https://youtu.be/OSDFLgq4EDs

The implication is that sharpening a lower carbide volume steel to an even more acute angle may outstrip the edge retention of a higher carbide volume/more wear resistant steel, which requires a more obtuse edge angle to stay stable.

Don't get me wrong, I love that Spyderco provide these interesting high hardness, high carbide volume steels for us to play with, but there's certainly something to think about in Bornin1500 and Cliff's points.