Sage 5 Lightweight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ailevin

Re: Sage 5 Lightweight

Post by ailevin »

cycleguy wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:57 pm
Now in stock at DLT Trading...

CG
Thanks cycleguy. Santa just bought me a Sage 5 Lightweight. Sage 1 and Chaparral Lightweight are two of my favorite Spydercos, and this will be my first compression lock.

Alan
Unadan

Post by Unadan »

I have a Sage 5 LW on the way from DLT Trading. Looks like a nice knife thanks Sal/Spyderco.
amue

Post by amue »

cycleguy wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:57 pm
Now in stock at DLT Trading...

CG
Thanks for the heads up! I just ordered two. Could have waited for it to be available in Europe, but our German distributors apparently don't have an ETA yet. :rolleyes:
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

I thought the whole point of the Sage series was to show off different lock designs. So IMHO instead of a LW version Spyderco should have came out with another lock.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

cbrstar wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:13 am
I thought the whole point of the Sage series was to show off different lock designs. So IMHO instead of a LW version Spyderco should have came out with another lock.
I think you're right, but...
Doing an existing model in a different handle material kind of breaks the ice, maybe we'll see some in different steels too?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

cbrstar wrote:
This is not a new Sage model but a variation of an existing one
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Done
Last edited by BLUETYPEII on Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Sage 3 had two handle material versions as well... G10 and CF laminate.

This knife is not the same design as the Para3, but I would have expected the price to be more in line with the Chaparral FRN vs CF.

Regardless, it should be in my mailbox right now :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:50 am
I’m kinda surprised that Spyderco didn’t go with
CTS-BD1N like in the Para Lightweight, to keep the cost down. This iteration is only about $30 less than the standard Sage 5. I would have picked one up if the price was closer to that of the Para 3 Lightweight.
Maybe they did not want TOO much challenge for the Para 3 LW?!
As I said before, I won´t get either Para 3 or Sage 5, but if I´d be in the market for a small FRN compression lock folder, I would take the Sage 5 LW over the Para 3 LW any day of the week - even more so, if they where priced about the same.

But that´s just me, I am really courios how people who are more into that particular "class" (Para 3 size, comp.lock.,FRN) than I am feel about "Para 3 LW vs Sage 5 LW".
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Post by sal »

cbrstar wrote:

Hi Cbrstar,

The FRN version is our attempt to get the design to more people, raise the quantities available, get the price lower and make more options available. We picked the lock that we felt would be most popular for most people. A new lock would created new limitations and probably higher costs. The model does have some interesting improvements that explain some of the costs. It also adds the options of colors and steels that many of you have asked for in this pattern. Hope that makes sense.

sal
elena86

Post by elena86 »

sal wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:28 pm
cbrstar wrote:

Hi Cbrstar,

The FRN version is our attempt to get the design to more people, raise the quantities available, get the price lower and make more options available. We picked the lock that we felt would be most popular for most people. A new lock would created new limitations and probably higher costs. The model does have some interesting improvements that explain some of the costs. It also adds the options of colors and steels that many of you have asked for in this pattern. Hope that makes sense.

sal

Awesome ! Gray handle and Elmax would be a dream ! Thank you Sal for the options :spyder:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Sage5 Lightweight FRN has a street price of $122.50 which is a higher price than the normal 35% off MSRP ($175.00) and it's only 30% off MSRP. The regular Sage5 CF/G-10 is being sold for $152.10 which is the normal 35% off MSRP ($234.00).

Are all the newer models going to be just 30% off MSRP or will that apply to all existing models come 2020?
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ramzar,

At this time, the plan is to try to set a 30% off MAP. It's still a nightmare scenario to try to please everyone on pricing. You kind understanding and patience is appreciated.

sal
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

sal wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:45 pm
Hi Ramzar,

At this time, the plan is to try to set a 30% off MAP. It's still a nightmare scenario to try to please everyone on pricing. You kind understand and patience is appreciated.

sal

Thank you Sal.

The new 30% off MSRP (instead of 35% off) for MAP will be effective January 1, 2020 on all existing and future models?
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

sal wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:28 pm
cbrstar wrote:

Hi Cbrstar,

sal
Sal,

I appreciate that you and the rest of the team are open to this. You have a design that's in demand. Despite the original intent, you're willing to spin off at least one variant of it as a semi stand alone model to meet demand for the design. Thank you for listening to us, your customers.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Done
Last edited by BLUETYPEII on Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Unadan

Post by Unadan »

Sal can we expect some sprint run/exclusive runs of the Sage 5 LW in different colors/steels? Thx. A Sage 5 LW in K390 would be pretty cool.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:36 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:11 pm
BLUETYPEII wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:50 am
Maybe they did not want TOO much challenge for the Para 3 LW?!
As I said before, I won´t get either Para 3 or Sage 5, but if I´d be in the market for a small FRN compression lock folder, I would take the Sage 5 LW over the Para 3 LW any day of the week - even more so, if they where priced about the same.

But that´s just me, I am really courios how people who are more into that particular "class" (Para 3 size, comp.lock.,FRN) than I am feel about "Para 3 LW vs Sage 5 LW".
You know the main reasons I purchased the Para 3 Lightweight were the hype surrounding its g10 counterpart and I very much enjoy the Paramilitary 2. I figured I couldn’t go wrong with a Benchmade Bugout killer and it would give me a chance to check out th Para 3 platform.

Turns out I really do like the Para 3 Lightweight. However the things I enjoy really do not apply to the G10 version. Ridiculously lightweight and the wire clip.

I can say I still prefer the ergonomics of the Sage 5 (original) over the Para 3 Lightweight however in all honesty the Sage is a safe queen and the Para is a user so I may be talking out of my @_$. Both are awesome though, I honestly think they are extremely similar.

If I had it to do over again I may have skipped the Sage 5 and Para 3 Lightweight and bought the Sage 5 Lightweight. No regrets though I have more Spydercos this way lol ;)
Thanks for your reply!

To be clear, I have neither Para 3 nor Sage 5, so all I say is mostly just guessing (concerning handle size, blade stock, tip, I can just somewhat estimate from my PM2 how the Para 3 probably will be and feel).

Wouldn´t have guessed though that they are "extremly similar" (other than blade length, FRN and lock).
I think personally I´d prefer on the Sage LW: Thinner blade stock (especially on such a small knife), a bit more robust tip; leaf shaped blade; and first and foremost: Handle shape. The Sage should offer more space behind the choil for a true four finger grip for bigger hands, cause the available space is not confined by a "hook" at the end of the handle (Para 3), cause the Sage (much like the Chap) is just flat there.

Again, just theoretical thoughts. I am not into smaller compression lock knives, but if I were: The Sage 5 LW would be my choice out of the whole Spycderco lineup (unless they´d make a Mini-Caribbean... :D )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Post by sal »

Unadan wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:22 am
Sal can we expect some sprint run/exclusive runs of the Sage 5 LW in different colors/steels? Thx. A Sage 5 LW in K390 would be pretty cool.
Anything is possible.

I'm carrying one today. I wouldn't mind one in K390.

sal
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

May not be everyones' personal preference, but this is one freakin' awesome knife. Spyderco really nailed it. Great job Spyderco! :spyder:

CG

P.S. Sorry 'bout the parallax; had to angle shoot as the light source was overhead.
Attachments
IMG_1288.JPG
So many knives - so little funds!!!