Sharpies

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

Re: Sharpies

Post by Evil D »

prndltech wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:09 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:47 pm
prndltech wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:54 am
I have never had good luck with the ultra fine tip sharpies
What issues have you had?

They don’t like to get wet which is an issue I have fairly often which is why I still carry a ball point pen.
They never seem to write well... or at all. Maybe the few I’ve tried have just been bad examples but I seem to have no issues with regular ones

I loved the idea of the pen/marker combo being able to get both in one writing instrument but I can't go without some kind of pen with a Fisher cartridge. They haven't let me down now for 3.5 years of all weather/ nearly all surface writing. My only complaint is if you drop it once and it lands on the tip it's probably ruined and refills are $6 each.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:26 am
prndltech wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:09 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:47 pm
prndltech wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:54 am
I have never had good luck with the ultra fine tip sharpies
What issues have you had?

They don’t like to get wet which is an issue I have fairly often which is why I still carry a ball point pen.
They never seem to write well... or at all. Maybe the few I’ve tried have just been bad examples but I seem to have no issues with regular ones

I loved the idea of the pen/marker combo being able to get both in one writing instrument but I can't go without some kind of pen with a Fisher cartridge. They haven't let me down now for 3.5 years of all weather/ nearly all surface writing. My only complaint is if you drop it once and it lands on the tip it's probably ruined and refills are $6 each.
I love them as well
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Regular and fine tip sharpies are tools I use at work, along with ball point pen, pencil, soapstone, and scribe.
Last edited by jpm2 on Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I keep Sharpies, Magic Markers and various other types of felt pens handy and find myself using them for a wide array of uses. I'm finding myself using Fine and ultra-fine Sharpies and Felt Pens a lot more than I do the ones that print big.

For the past 3 years I've pretty much only used gel pens for my everyday writing, note taking and most other necessary writing. Most people laugh, mock and make fun of me because I make hard copies of everything. We had a severe Power Outage here in Blue Springs, MO where I live this past Spring of 2019 and most of the people that live close to me and in my neighborhood all had vital information like phone numbers, addresses, names and contact information for goods and services stored in their phones and electronic devices which most of them were not working at the time>> because most of them had no way to re-charge their devices. They were all asking me for the numbers, addresses and names because most of them relied solely upon their electronic devices instead of writing them down and making a hard copy record of them. Whereas I made printed hard copies of every bit of vital information I thought I would need. It turned out to be a real life saver here where I live not only for me but also for my friends and neighbors as well.

But oddly enough those same people that were found helpless in that same Black Out are still relying on their phones and other electronic devices to store vital information :confused: . I'll always make hard copies of everything. And I will never do without my pens, sharpies, felt pens, gel pens and notebooks for important record keeping. I don't care how high tech our society gets because I'll always keep hard copies of everything I might need.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Been using an Industrial Super Permanent Ink Sharpie that was handed to me about a month back which I carry with me for work purposes in a scabbard (not on me). Seems true to specs so far and holds ink in abrasive and wet conditions. Time will tell just how well, but it hasn't turned that "purple" hue that regular sharpies seem to fade to over time. I always get paranoid carrying a pen or sharpie in and outside of work due to any leakage that might occur and ruin my pants/shirts if I bump into anything and cause a possible leak :eek: :mad: :(.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

weeping minora wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:21 pm
I always get paranoid carrying a pen or sharpie in and outside of work due to any leakage that might occur and ruin my pants/shirts if I bump into anything and cause a possible leak :eek: :mad: :(.
I won’t say it’s impossible... but I’ve carried, used and abused sharpies for 50-60 hours a week, for over a decade in the shop and never had one leak. The get thrown, bumped, dropped, etc...
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

soc_monki wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:31 pm
I take notes on my phone if I need to, and have my knives.
You will probably scratch the screen.. :mad:
RustyIron

Sharpie: Hot Tip

Post by RustyIron »

Sharpie Paint Pen. It's somewhat similar to a Dalo marker, but it's a felt tip so it's a little more controllable. Comes in a pack of five colors for eight bucks. So far I'm happy with these for a technical/industrial environment. The Sharpie Metallic Pens aren't very good unless you're a teenage girl coloring up her notebook.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've been using these Sharpie Pros for coloring knife bevels and they work significantly better than any other that I've used and I have a couple other industrial Sharpies. These seem almost more like a paint than ink and go on very dark.

I hope they make these in a fine/ultra fine combo but I doubt it.
~David
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

kiwisailor wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:30 pm

You will probably scratch the screen.. :mad:
Screens been broken for a few years now, no big deal! :D
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:06 am
I've been using these Sharpie Pros for coloring knife bevels and they work significantly better than any other that I've used and I have a couple other industrial Sharpies. These seem almost more like a paint than ink and go on very dark.

I haven’t seen these... I’d like one that’s like a regular fine point... the “classic” sharpie
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:20 pm
I keep Sharpies, Magic Markers and various other types of felt pens handy and find myself using them for a wide array of uses. I'm finding myself using Fine and ultra-fine Sharpies and Felt Pens a lot more than I do the ones that print big.

For the past 3 years I've pretty much only used gel pens for my everyday writing, note taking and most other necessary writing. Most people laugh, mock and make fun of me because I make hard copies of everything. We had a severe Power Outage here in Blue Springs, MO where I live this past Spring of 2019 and most of the people that live close to me and in my neighborhood all had vital information like phone numbers, addresses, names and contact information for goods and services stored in their phones and electronic devices which most of them were not working at the time>> because most of them had no way to re-charge their devices. They were all asking me for the numbers, addresses and names because most of them relied solely upon their electronic devices instead of writing them down and making a hard copy record of them. Whereas I made printed hard copies of every bit of vital information I thought I would need. It turned out to be a real life saver here where I live not only for me but also for my friends and neighbors as well.

But oddly enough those same people that were found helpless in that same Black Out are still relying on their phones and other electronic devices to store vital information :confused: . I'll always make hard copies of everything. And I will never do without my pens, sharpies, felt pens, gel pens and notebooks for important record keeping. I don't care how high tech our society gets because I'll always keep hard copies of everything I might need.
That’s a very good idea. I wouldn’t even know what numbers/addresses/information I would need in a power outage? I guess it was long term? How would one make phone calls? I don’t have a house phone... not that it would work either...
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

prndltech wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:02 am
Evil D wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:06 am

I haven’t seen these... I’d like one that’s like a regular fine point... the “classic” sharpie

Same here. These really aren't the best for writing unless you're doing some larger markings or something like that but for sharpening purposes I'd still recommend one. I do hope they make other versions with this ink though.
~David
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I carry a sharpie with my in my EDC bag and I also carry one at work, both have been very useful! I generally have a Pilot G2 pen that I do most of my writing with though.
soc_monki wrote: I may carry a pen if I think I might need one, but my wife is usually with me and she carries pens and whatnot... That's what a wife is for! :D
I actually started carrying an EDC bag because my wife never had anything I needed when I asked her. Lotion, a tissue, pen, bandaid, etc... I don’t know what she has in that big purse of hers, but now she asks ME when she needs something! :p
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.