Ikuchi

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JohnAPA

Re: Ikuchi

Post by JohnAPA »

I've been experimenting with openings. If you use your last three fingers to press the edge of the pocket clip, and therefore the spine of the knife into your palm, you will have your thumb free to roll down the opener. Index finger just stays out of the way.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

JohnAPA wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:50 pm
I've been experimenting with openings. If you use your last three fingers to press the edge of the pocket clip, and therefore the spine of the knife into your palm, you will have your thumb free to roll down the opener. Index finger just stays out of the way.
Yep that's how I did it. Gotta get one this new one...
Sirens1

Post by Sirens1 »

Can't flip mine open, but I noticed it has to be due to the strong detent/tension of lock bar. This is my second dude from Taiwan. Mantra 2 being the first. I can't believe these leave the factory like this. I'm not trying to be overly negative. I love Spyderco, just very disappointed.
Lucabrasi

Post by Lucabrasi »

Mine has loosened a bit the more I’ve worked it. Can now get it pretty reliably. Still chewing up my finger. But it’s getting closer, and I like it enough that I’m hanging onto it.
Current Spyderco: Native 5 LW s35vn; Delica zdp; Caly 3.5 zdp/CF; Chapparel FRN cts xhp; Southard 204p; Kapara s30v; Ikuchi s30v; Spydiechef lc200n, Waterway Lc200n; Manix 2 LW 20cv

Past Spyderco: Endura zdp; Manix 2 LW s110v; Paramilitary 2 s30v
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sirens1 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:22 pm
Can't flip mine open, but I noticed it has to be due to the strong detent/tension of lock bar. This is my second dude from Taiwan. Mantra 2 being the first. I can't believe these leave the factory like this. I'm not trying to be overly negative. I love Spyderco, just very disappointed.
I mailed mine to spyderco today. Hoping they'll exchange it.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Sirens1 wrote:
Really makes you wonder did they open it and check it? How do you even open that knife without flipping it? They just hold the lock bar and see if it swings?
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

koenigsegg wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:10 am
Sirens1 wrote:
Really makes you wonder did they open it and check it? How do you even open that knife without flipping it? They just hold the lock bar and see if it swings?
I think Spydergirl mentioned doing that, and that does work - the blade swings freely. But I'm definitely not comfortable opening it by just disengaging the lock bar and swinging it open. Since it's such a thin knife, the sharpened edge of the blade is very close to the lock bar when shut.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Got mine today and it too had a really strong detent. After working it a while with my index finger and thumb openings I drop some knife pivot lube on the detent and it really fires nice now! I’m so use to light Taichung detents that this was a surprise for me. I hate to have to send it back, so if it gives me any more trouble I might dissemble it and high polish the detent ball path. Now I just need to find some smooth scales and I’m set.

Btw, the action is very smooth in and out just like my CGI Kapara.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

This is why I prefer a light detent. ;)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Would someone humor me by checking for side to side play preferably with the lock disengaged? I watched a vid and saw how free dropping the blade is which made me think the pivot is probably not tight either because the screw is not fully snugged or because of the bushing. Sometimes a bushing will prevent a pivot from getting tight enough to eliminate side to side play.
Leader2light

Post by Leader2light »

Got mine today. Drops shut. Works great. Does wear on your finger though if you open and close it too much. Rolling it open with your thumb is the best way to not give yourself a blister.
Terp61

Post by Terp61 »

I’ve got the pre CQI Ikuchi and it mostly works great. My question is why wouldn’t this be a recall issue? Would someone who bought the first version be able to turn it in for the CQI version? With claims of cut fingers and such, some deemed the Ikuchi a bit dangerous for practical use. Another question...has anyone bought both versions of this knife? Other than mine not falling shut, I’m pretty satisfied with the design. Not one cut on the fingers (yet).
SSD_777

Post by SSD_777 »

ABX2011 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:27 am
Would someone humor me by checking for side to side play preferably with the lock disengaged? I watched a vid and saw how free dropping the blade is which made me think the pivot is probably not tight either because the screw is not fully snugged or because of the bushing. Sometimes a bushing will prevent a pivot from getting tight enough to eliminate side to side play.
I purchased a CQI version from DLT last week. With the lock disengaged, there is definitely some side-to-side blade play. The screw slightly tightened when I turned the torx driver, the blade play is gone, but I've now lost the drop-shut action. The blade isn't difficult to move by hand, but there is now enough pressure in the pivot area that it has affected the closing of the blade.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

SSD_777 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:15 pm
I purchased a CQI version from DLT last week. With the lock disengaged, there is definitely some side-to-side blade play. The screw slightly tightened when I turned the torx driver, the blade play is gone, but I've now lost the drop-shut action. The blade isn't difficult to move by hand, but there is now enough pressure in the pivot area that it has affected the closing of the blade.
Thank you! That's exactly what I wanted to know.

Post by 013 »

Sirens1 wrote:
I believe that people were complaining of weak/soft flipper detent issues from Taichung, so they fixed it. I believe most prefer a stronger detent on flippers so that they fire with authority.
I don't have an Ikuchi, but I do have a Mantra 2. I purchased it in early October of this year. The detent is in the goldilocks zone & it fires lightswitch in any position. Lockup has settled at 40%.
I've recently been contemplating the purchase of an Ikuchi....
The sword the body wounds, sharp words the mind.
- Menander :spyder:
araneae

Post by araneae »

I bought a second, flips great. Frankly, I love this thing. Nothing else like it design wise, sorry to hear there are people getting duds.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

I'm at OutBack Steak House and the Ikuchi is AMAZING at trimming and cutting steak!
Lucabrasi

Post by Lucabrasi »

Mine went from dud to awesome by just working through the chewed up finger. Now it fires out reliably without any problem, doesn’t require eating up my finger and has no blade play while dropping shut. I’m glad I stuck with it. It’s also a surprisingly sturdy feeling knife.
Current Spyderco: Native 5 LW s35vn; Delica zdp; Caly 3.5 zdp/CF; Chapparel FRN cts xhp; Southard 204p; Kapara s30v; Ikuchi s30v; Spydiechef lc200n, Waterway Lc200n; Manix 2 LW 20cv

Past Spyderco: Endura zdp; Manix 2 LW s110v; Paramilitary 2 s30v
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I now have a CQI ikuchi and I'm happy to report that the detent is good and stiff as it should be for snappy action.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Got one and the detent is good. Not overly strong, IMO. I have no problem deploying with wheel using index finger or thumb.

It did come with side to side play. Edit to add: the non clip side screw can be tightened. I tightened it all the way down and the play is now very slight although still there.