The Superior Delica

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

Re: The Superior Delica

Post by Sumdumguy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:39 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:31 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:23 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:33 pm

Edit: I want to see the whole Seki line up done in these glow scales. They are fantastic, I would buy the whole set.
I’m with you on that. I wonder if they can do orange GITD?
Outside of a glow stick, I can't say that I've ever seen orange glow.

I've only seen green, blue and purple on a knife.
Blue would be nice. I have some orange para cord that glows green.
Must have strands of glow mixed in, that's neat.

Yea, the blue is nice. It's like an ice blue color with a neon blue glow. I don't think it glows as long though.

The Delica glows pretty dang good. Straight out of the box, into a very low lit room and it was visible. I charged it up with my phone light for a few seconds and it was sounding off! Was still glowing the next morning, albeit not as brightly. Still 100% visible though.

I'm happy with both the knife and the glow!

Edit: Best quality I've ever seen out of Seki. It has a beautiful edge(visually) that shaved a chunk of hair off my forearm, clean(sharp), with one pass.

You can tell they know where their bread is buttered!
Last edited by Sumdumguy on Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:51 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:39 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:31 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:23 pm

I’m with you on that. I wonder if they can do orange GITD?
Outside of a glow stick, I can't say that I've ever seen orange glow.

I've only seen green, blue and purple on a knife.
Blue would be nice. I have some orange para cord that glows green.
Must have strands of glow mixed in, that's neat.

Yea, the blue is nice. It's like an ice blue color with a neon blue glow. I don't think it glows as long though.

The Delica glows pretty dang good. Straight out of the box, into a very low lit room and it was visible. I charged it up with my phone light for a few seconds and it was sounding off! Was still glowing the next morning, albeit not as brightly. Still 100% visible though.

I'm happy with both the knife and the glow!
A Stretch, which is a hunting knife, and an Endura, an outdoor knife, make a lot of sense in GITD FRN.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

There are exactly and just two (for my taste) small models left I want to get eventually:

One is the upcoming sun and moon Chaparral.
But the other is another Delica: Wharncliff serrated. That thing must be a monster cutter...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ric

Post by Ric »

@Wartstein
Sorry for the late response.
I was busy picking um BBS K390 Para 3 ;)
I meant more the thread owner.
I am glad you found "your knife".
Everyone has different tastes and that is good so.

The choil adds safety to me.
Left hand closing, firm grip.
I am also a medium handed urban guy, therefore probably different tasks as you have.

I must have knives in hand and use them to see if they work form me.
Delica was not mine. The Endura I love in the kitchen.
For experiencing that you have to be open to try any knife. Therefore I constantly ring the Para 3 bell to get heared in the Delica choruses ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ric wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:28 pm
@Wartstein
Sorry for the late response.
I was busy picking um BBS K390 Para 3 ;)
I meant more the thread owner.
I am glad you found "your knife".
Everyone has different tastes and that is good so.

The choil adds safety to me.
Left hand closing, firm grip.
I am also a medium handed urban guy, therefore probably different tasks as you have.

I must have knives in hand and use them to see if they work form me.
Delica was not mine. The Endura I love in the kitchen.
For experiencing that you have to be open to try any knife. Therefore I constantly ring the Para 3 bell to get heared in the Delica choruses ;)
Thanks for your reply, fellow Austrian compatriot! :)

Really had to look up to which post you DID reply! ;)

I am courious: You say, the comp lock is easier to close for lefties than a backlock?? (Or do you refer to a left hand comp.lock)?

And yes, it´s a good thing everyone has different tastes, this great disuccion forum would be a rather boring place otherwise...;)
All I wanted to say really is that the Para 3 just for me persionally does about everything different to the Delica (lock, blade stock, usable grip area on the actual handle and so on) and that I happen to prefer the Delica in almost every aspect

But it´s not exactly like I found "my knife" in the Delica. I also vastly prefer the Endura, just because it has the perfect size for me, while the Delica is way to small to fit my personall needs concerning a main EDC knife.
Still it is clearly my favorite in that particular size range (if I don´t count in the Chap FRN, which indeed is even smaller).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:18 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:33 pm
Two recent threads, one by Hobnob called Smile, it’s a Delica, and another by Tabo called Delica GITD FRN, made me pull out my Delicas. Upon doing so I got to wondering why I ever needed to buy another knife? Every time something new comes along that seems to be a better solution I consider buying one or actually do. But then with knife in hand I look at the Delica and think to myself there is no Knife of its size better than this. The blade is adequately long, the handle is very slim and yet just long enough for my hand, and the blade is very thin and slicey but not too thin. Why do I continue to think that there is a better mouse trap so to speak When clearly the Delica is as good or better than anything else out there. I just bought another Delica, a glow in the dark version.

The answer being ... :D

P.S I only hope Sal will keep the "high-hollow-ground-thin-behind-the-edge-Delica" project alive and kicking. THAT would be the perfect mid size edc Spydie in my book :eek:
Dear Sal, please let this still happen.

-Your son, Eric

:D
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:11 am
I am courious: You say, the comp lock is easier to close for lefties than a backlock?? (Or do you refer to a left hand comp.lock)?
If the action on a comp lock is dialed in so the blade is free dropping, you can push the lock bar over with your thumb and let the blade fall so the choil lands on your finger. You have to really watch to make sure your finger is far enough forward otherwise the edge will land on your finger. I close some of my right-handed comp locks with my left hand this way but it's awkward depending on the knife. However, I still find a good back lock is much easier to close the same way left or right-handed. I close my Natives & Chaparrals this way all the time. If the blade doesn't fall when the lock is depressed (like some of my Delicas & Dragonflies) I simply push the lock bar with my thumb while my index finger is in the Spydie hole and I guide the blade down. For this reason I find all my back locks to be overall easier to close left-handed than any of my comp lock knives.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:56 am
A Stretch, which is a hunting knife, and an Endura, an outdoor knife, make a lot of sense in GITD FRN.
I’ve cleaned more animals with a delica than an Endura or stretch.... it’s the perfect blade length. At least for here in Texas. I honestly don’t NEED a blade larger than that. This is coming from someone who prefers the Endura. I’ve never packed a delica and wished I’d had more blade in my folder, but I have packed an Endura and wished I’d had a smaller overall package in order to get in some tight spaces for some cuts.... it all depends on what you need to do. But pack an Endura and a delica... you’re set for life as far as folders go!

I guess this goes to say a delica is an outdoors knife... if you take it outdoors!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:28 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:11 am
If the action on a comp lock is dialed in so the blade is free dropping, you can push the lock bar over with your thumb and let the blade fall so the choil lands on your finger. You have to really watch to make sure your finger is far enough forward otherwise the edge will land on your finger. I close some of my right-handed comp locks with my left hand this way but it's awkward depending on the knife. However, I still find a good back lock is much easier to close the same way left or right-handed. I close my Natives & Chaparrals this way all the time. If the blade doesn't fall when the lock is depressed (like some of my Delicas & Dragonflies) I simply push the lock bar with my thumb while my index finger is in the Spydie hole and I guide the blade down. For this reason I find all my back locks to be overall easier to close left-handed than any of my comp lock knives.
Thanks for your reply, that´s what I thought. I just asked cause "Ric" meant, that one of the advantages of the comp.lock Para 3 over the backlock Delica was (better) "left hand closing", and I could not really see that.

I personally prefer a backlock anyway, and find it as fast and easy to close one handed as a comp.lock, plus safer and in more possible ways.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:35 am

But the other is another Delica: Wharncliff serrated. That thing must be a monster cutter...
That it is, quickly became a EDC for a few months
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

prndltech wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:56 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:56 am
I’ve cleaned more animals with a delica than an Endura or stretch.... it’s the perfect blade length. At least for here in Texas. I honestly don’t NEED a blade larger than that. This is coming from someone who prefers the Endura. I’ve never packed a delica and wished I’d had more blade in my folder, but I have packed an Endura and wished I’d had a smaller overall package in order to get in some tight spaces for some cuts.... it all depends on what you need to do. But pack an Endura and a delica... you’re set for life as far as folders go!

I guess this goes to say a delica is an outdoors knife... if you take it outdoors!
The Delica would be awesome as a skinning knife on deer and smaller game. It’s close to the blade length of my custom skinner that I prefer. Most people use too big of a knife. The only thing I would hesitate on is large joints and bones. I’ve quartered deer in the field to make it easier to pack out.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

My favorite Delica so far. It packs terrific cutting power.

Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I love Wharncliffs, especially on a Delica.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Ric

Post by Ric »

@wartstein
I meant the choil to be positive and safe(r).
Backlocks are ambidextrous. Comp.lock not.
Therefore the choil is a plus.

My knife dealer tries my Spydercos out regularly.
I mainly buy choiled Spydies (Para3 3, lil native, Dfly)
As he is a lefty the choil helps at closing the compression locks.
Then I bought a Mantra 3 - blood run...

I can close my new Dfly due to the choil with little to none danger to cut myself. With the Delica it is a bit more by scary.

Bought a Dfly today, opens smooth.
Closing needs much Elbow-grease.
Even a stiff CL is smoother to operate as a backlock.
How it gets smoother soon...
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

My favorite “delica” at the moment :p

- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Ric wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:17 am
I can close my new Dfly due to the choil with little to none danger to cut myself. With the Delica it is a bit more by scary.
Try this Ric. You still need to be careful but it offers much better control of the blade

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ric wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:17 am
@wartstein
I meant the choil to be positive and safe(r).
Backlocks are ambidextrous. Comp.lock not.
Therefore the choil is a plus.

My knife dealer tries my Spydercos out regularly.
I mainly buy choiled Spydies (Para3 3, lil native, Dfly)
As he is a lefty the choil helps at closing the compression locks.
Then I bought a Mantra 3 - blood run...

Bought a Dfly today, opens smooth.
Closing needs much Elbow-grease.
Even a stiff CL is smoother to operate as a backlock.
How it gets smoother soon...
Three "non scary" methods to close a backlock ;) (see my old vids below)
Each done one time slow, two times normal speed.
There are more, see in Vivis signature for example

https://streamable.com/myzlt
https://streamable.com/bhhzs
https://streamable.com/j7fjd
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

You're all wrong :p

The most superior Delica is the lil Matriarch. ;)

IMHO this is the best length and shape for an EDC reverse S blade. It has just enough hook at the tip to puncture or pierce with the belly shallow enough and far enough back not to interfere with the tip like on the Cricket.

I bought it on a whim more to see how sharpening a reverse S worked out. I ended up liking the knife so much I just ordered a second one. (First time I've ever bought a backup knife! )

-Turbo
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

bbturbodad wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:56 am
You're all wrong :p

The most superior Delica is the lil Matriarch. ;)

IMHO this is the best length and shape for an EDC reverse S blade. It has just enough hook at the tip to puncture or pierce with the belly shallow enough and far enough back not to interfere with the tip like on the Cricket.

I bought it on a whim more to see how sharpening a reverse S worked out. I ended up liking the knife so much I just ordered a second one. (First time I've ever bought a backup knife! )

I have never had an interest in these, but last night I was looking at a couple pictures you posted and decided I’m going to try it out. About to order one.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I WANT ONE WITH TEETH SO BAD!!!!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006