Favorite movie fight scenes

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Tims

Re: Favorite movie fight scenes

Post by Tims »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:27 am
Ah, hahaha! Yes, that actually made the six o’clock news a couple of years ago now. :)

Big buck Roos (Boomers) are best left alone, Jim. They’re not scared of too much and as you can see they stand their ground. If chased by dogs, they’ll lead them to water and drown them if they can. :cool:
This reminds me of a story I was told by an old lady who grew up on a sheep station. Over the years she saw, more than once, their dogs get strangled by buck roos. Usually they caught a bullet in the head before killing the dogs but on one occasion they were too late and the roo finished the job.

On the other end of the scale, when my Son was very young we were visiting a zoo that allowed you to feed and pat the roos. There was one big old fella propped in the corner keeping an eye on things and of course, my young bloke wanted to pat him. Under my watchful eye, pat him he did, right before grabbing the poor old bastard right on the nuts :eek: The look on that roos face. To his credit he took it like a champ and accepted a handful of fodder for his trouble.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There have been so many movie fight scenes over the years that I've watched over the years that there are really no particular, certain ones that have indelibly stamped my memory. But during the 60s when I was growing up in my formative years I do remember a lot of the great fight scenes on many of my favorite Western shows. GUNSMOKE of all shows seemed to have a lot of very entertaining fight scenes. Ken Curtis the guy that played Festus Hagen on Gunsmoke always seemed to be a ferocious fighter and might have even had that talent in real life.

Also I remember so many fight scenes in the TV Show BONANZA where Hoss Cartwright would get into some awesome fight scenes. And as big and stout as that ol' boy was I sure wouldn't have wanted to mess with him :eek:

Now in some of the old James Bond movies there was some really intense fight scenes but I saw so many 007 James Bond movies over the years that there are just so many that I can't think of any one or two scenes that stood out. But where Sean Connery played 007 James Bond those movies had all kinds of incredible action scenes.
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:03 pm
There have been so many movie fight scenes over the years that I've watched over the years that there are really no particular, certain ones that have indelibly stamped my memory. But during the 60s when I was growing up in my formative years I do remember a lot of the great fight scenes on many of my favorite Western shows. GUNSMOKE of all shows seemed to have a lot of very entertaining fight scenes. Ken Curtis the guy that played Festus Hagen on Gunsmoke always seemed to be a ferocious fighter and might have even had that talent in real life.

Also I remember so many fight scenes in the TV Show BONANZA where Hoss Cartwright would get into some awesome fight scenes. And as big and stout as that ol' boy was I sure wouldn't have wanted to mess with him :eek:

Now in some of the old James Bond movies there was some really intense fight scenes but I saw so many 007 James Bond movies over the years that there are just so many that I can't think of any one or two scenes that stood out. But where Sean Connery played 007 James Bond those movies had all kinds of incredible action scenes.
Sean Connery was hands-down my favorite James Bond, and he had very good intensity in his fight scenes, but TBH, I always felt that Connery was physically stiff and awkward when it came to fighting, though some of the action scenes in those movies were brilliant, especially in Thunderball. I see Connery as the most suave and smart-quipping 007 who could kill someone in a single action with zero hesitation, but in extended fight scenes his stiffness showed.

As a child, I’d seen the fight scenes in the Batman TV show, and The Green Hornet (which co-starred Bruce Lee), but fight scenes in general didn’t register with me until I was about 7 (around 1970), when I saw a TV cop show I can’t recall, that had a scene where a distinguished-looking older gentleman in a suit single-handedly beat up two or three young thugs who attacked him in a parking lot. I only saw it once, and I just cannot remember which show it was (possibly an episode of The Mod Squad?), but for some reason that particular scene left a lasting impression on me.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Police Story 2 (1988, Hong Kong). Director: Jackie Chan. Action directors: Jackie Chan, Chris Lee Kin-Sang, Sing Ga-Ban & Wan Faat.

This first fight scene in particular displays some of the creative genius and brilliance of Jackie Chan and his stunt team, back when Jackie was at his physical and creative peak, during his bone-bruising (and often breaking) Hong Kong stunt era.

Playground fight: Jackie Chan vs thugs (scene also features Maggie Cheung & Charlie Cho):

https://youtu.be/nyTXcwPHeYQ

Final fight: Jackie Chan vs John Cheung & Benny Lai:

https://youtu.be/jo8YsSP1FH0

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Fearless Hyena (1979, Hong Kong; filmed in Taiwan). Director: Jackie Chan. Action directors: Jackie Chan, Peng Kang & Wang Yao.

This movie marked Jackie Chan’s full directorial debut, although he had previous experience as an action director.

Intro fight: Yen Shi-Kwan vs Han Ying:

https://youtu.be/29YHQGXxjHA

Final fight: Jackie Chan vs Yen Shi-Kwan:

https://youtu.be/kGdtR3KwOhE

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
Ah, hahaha! Yes, that actually made the six o’clock news a couple of years ago now. :)

Big buck Roos (Boomers) are best left alone, Jim. They’re not scared of too much and as you can see they stand their ground. If chased by dogs, they’ll lead them to water and drown them if they can. :cool:
Wow!! does this bring back some funny memories. There was an old episode of the Beverly Hillbillies where Ellie Mae brings home a Kangaroo and it got in a fight with Granny. Then it got in a fight with Jethro. I thought I was going to rupture myself as hard as I was laughing. Those old shows just can't be beat. And I'm telling you in real life I wouldn't want to get into a fight with a Kangaroo or an Emu either for that matter. Few people know that they've got one helluva a claw on their hind legs which can literally open a guy up with very little effort. The Kangaroos and Emus both are not to be messed with in real life.. That guy was lucky that he was able to intimidate that Roo.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:41 pm
Wow!! does this bring back some funny memories. There was an old episode of the Beverly Hillbillies where Ellie Mae brings home a Kangaroo and it got in a fight with Granny. Then it got in a fight with Jethro.
Ah, hahaha! I vaguely remember the episode, Joe. :)

Something else that's peculiar with Roos is they sometimes come to a fox whistle.

Why a Roo would be attracted to the sound of a rabbit in distress is beyond me but they do turn up. :confused:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
James Y

Post by James Y »

Bloke wrote:

I definitely agree that kangaroos should not be messed with! They’re not much fun for cats, either! :)

https://youtu.be/dZU9C2oARmQ

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

New Kids in Town (1990, Hong Kong). Director: Lau Kar-Yung. Action directors: Lau Kar-Leung & Lau Kar-Yung.

At the time this came out, period costume kung fu movies had been out of style in Hong Kong cinema for several years. The trend in Hong Kong action cinema was modern-day crime stories, mostly kickboxing-style fighting, dangerous stunts, and the “girls with guns” sub-genre. It would be another year after this (1991) until period kung fu films would make a comeback in a big way (see Once Upon a Time in China entries earlier in this thread). Master Lau Kar-Leung, known for directing his period classics from the ‘70s to the mid-‘80s, here adapts his traditional kung fu fighting to a modern setting.

The parts of the final battle involving guns and explosives are nothing to write home about. The feature attraction is Lau Kar-Leung’s fight with kickboxer Eddie Maher. As far as Chin Siu-Ho’s character’s ability to withstand a straight thrust into his throat without injury, his character is trained in ‘Iron Shirt’ or ‘Iron Cloth’ skill which supposedly renders him less immune to injury from strikes.

Final fight: Lau Kar-Leung vs Eddie Maher; Chin Siu-Ho & Moon Lee vs Wong Chi-Yeung. Lau’s fight begins at 1:55:

NOTE: Unfortunately, when you press to view this, you’ll then have to press “watch this video on YouTube,” as playback on other websites has been disabled by the video owner.

https://youtu.be/HtGWRZaCW7s

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Jade Claw (AKA Crystal Fist; 1979, Hong Kong). Director: Hwa I-Hung. Action directors: Brandy Yuen, Corey Yuen, Yuen Shun-Yee, Chin Yuet-Sang, Hau Chiu-Sing.

Indonesian actor/martial artist Billy Chong (AKA Willy Dozan) was one of the most naturally talented performers, yet he only made a few films in Hong Kong and Taiwan, before returning to Indonesia. He was born into a rich family, so he wasn’t hurting financially, and remained a highly popular actor/action star in Indonesia for many years. Nowadays, the most famous Indonesian star is Iko Uwais, star of The Raid and The Raid 2 (the latter was an earlier entry in this thread); but before Iko Uwais there was Billy Chong. This was Billy Chong’s first Hong Kong movie.

Chu Tiet-Wo, who played the arch-villain, was an outstanding veteran performer who (no surprise) mostly played bad guys.

The music in the opening credits and the training sequence (and other parts of the movie) are from the 1974 album Mandingo III.

Intro fight: Ta Hsi-Yen, Brandy Yuen & Chu Tiet-Wo vs Hau Chiu-Sing. Opening credits sequence featuring Billy Chong:

https://youtu.be/R-gxrSUayMM

Training sequence: Billy Chong with Yuen Siu-Tin:

https://youtu.be/qnLQ132n8WU

Final fight: Billy Chong vs Chu Tiet-Wo:

https://youtu.be/nnHUhWBJ7M8

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Dirty Ho (1979, Hong Kong). Director and action director: Lau Kar-Leung.

OK, I get it; the title is funny, hardy-har-har. :rolleyes: This movie was given its English title (and came out) many years before it would become street slang. The main character (played by Wong Yue) is a thief/con man named Ho Ching, hence the title.

Wong Yue (1955 - 2008) was mostly a comic actor, normally cast as thieves and con men. He could be annoying at times, but was able to partake in difficult, complex fight sequences, and the movies he was in were usually good (sometimes great).

Gordon Liu plays the 11th Manchurian prince trying to determine which of his 14 siblings/fellow heirs to the throne are trying to have him assassinated. So he enlists the help of Dirty Ho, a commoner, by giving him additional training. *Spoiler alert for anyone who decides to seek out the entire movie*: Although the 11th prince is presented as a protagonist, in truth he is not, as the Manchurians were usually depicted as villains, and the very end of the movie (not in the clip) shows that he was only using Ho Ching all along.

Lau Kar-Leung’s choreography was known for its astounding level of detail, complexity and stylization. As mentioned in earlier posts, Lo Lieh (who plays the main fighting villain) was an actor and not a classically-trained martial artist nor a Peking Opera performer, but learned enough for each film he was in. That he could perform at the level in this scene is amazing, and credits not only his intelligence and ability to pick things up, but mainly to Lau’s masterful choreography.

Final fight: Wong Yue & Gordon Liu vs Lo Lieh, Lee King-Chu & Chu Kai:

https://youtu.be/p59Q3ZGD3Xo

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Five Superfighters (1979, not 1978 as mentioned on the clip; Hong Kong). Director: John Lo Mar. Action director: Hsu Hsia.

This is the only clip of this fight on YouTube. Unfortunately, it only shows about two-thirds of this final fight scene, and for whatever reason, whoever posted the clip cut it off just as the fight is about to really heat up and get more serious.

The plot to this kung fu comedy movie is extremely simple: An arrogant kung fu fighter/bully (played by Kuan Feng) goes around challenging and humiliating any martial artists he comes across. Eventually he comes across an old teacher (Hau Chiu-Sing) and his three students, humiliating all three before beating the teacher, ruining his business and driving him to alcoholism. To avenge their teacher, the three students run away for one year to find and train under three different teachers, then return to challenge the bully on their teacher’s birthday, as a gift to him. I mention this because, if someone is unaware of that, the beginning of this clip might give the impression that it’s the teacher’s students who are the bullies.

This movie is a cult favorite among many hard-core kung fu movie fans.

Final fight (partial): Wu Yuan-Chun, Tony Leung Siu-Hung & Austin Wai vs Kuan Feng:

https://youtu.be/FFtxfQh__kA

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Return of the Tiger (1977, Taiwan). Director: Jimmy Shaw Feng. Action director: Hsieh Hsing.

Leading man Ho Chung-Tao (who was given the stage name Bruce Li) was a decent actor and hard-working performer who was featured in a number of films portraying Bruce Lee, or Bruce Lee-like characters, known as “Bruceploitation” films. He himself stated that he did not like that, and only wanted to be himself. To be realistic, Ho Chung-Tao did not look, act, or move anything like Bruce Lee. Fortunately for him, unlike most of the Bruce Lee imitators, Ho Chung-Tao was able to star in some pretty decent movies where he was allowed to drop the Bruce Lee schtick; Return of the Tiger is one of those films.

What makes this movie special is the presence of Paul L. Smith, a physically imposing actor who appeared in a long list of famous movies, including:

Exodus (1960)
Midnight Express (1978)
Popeye (1980)
Red Sonja (1985)
Maverick (1994)

Here Paul L. Smith plays a foreign crime boss. He is presented as nearly invulnerable to blows and having superhuman strength, not due to any “Iron Shirt/Iron Cloth/Golden Bell” -type training, but strictly due to his physical size. He plays the part quite well.

Final fight: Paul L. Smith vs Lung Fei; Paul L. Smith vs Chang Yi; Ho Chung-Tao vs Paul L. Smith. Also featuring: Angela Mao Ying, Hsieh Hsing, Blacky Ko, Cheng Fu-Hsiung, etc.

https://youtu.be/4gq2wXO7t8A

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Two on the Road (AKA Fearless Dragons; 1980, Hong Kong). Director: Li Chao. Action directors: Chen Shao-Lung & Ta Hsi-Yen.

Final fight: Leung Kar-Yan & Phillip Ko Fei vs Wang Lung-Wei:

https://youtu.be/oo1grtx_SKQ

Jim
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Dirty Ho is a good movie. It has played on El Ray network a few times in the last year.

How can anyone forget Paul Smith. He was the guard/rapist in Midnight Express and wasn't he "Bluto" in Popeye?

Jim, was Bolo Yeung a real martial artist or just a body builder? I read somewhere he was good friends with Bruce Lee which is why he showed up in a couple of his movies.

Joe
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Mastiff wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:54 pm
Dirty Ho is a good movie. It has played on El Ray network a few times in the last year.

How can anyone forget Paul Smith. He was the guard/rapist in Midnight Express and wasn't he "Bluto" in Popeye?

Jim, was Bolo Yeung a real martial artist or just a body builder? I read somewhere he was good friends with Bruce Lee which is why he showed up in a couple of his movies.

Joe
Hi, Joe.

Yes, Bolo is a real martial artist. His favorite style, believe it or not, is Tai Chi. Although in his youth he studied different systems, and also trained a little with Bruce Lee. In the movies, among many hard-core KF movie fans, Bolo was often known (for better or worse) for his “no-look style,” where he would often fight looking away from his onscreen opponent.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Project A (1983, Hong Kong). Director: Jackie Chan. Action directors: Sing Ga-Ban & Sammo Hung.

Final fight: Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao & Mars (AKA Huo Hsing) vs Dick Wei, Kwan Yung-Moon & other pirates:

https://youtu.be/OpmPyQfqDi8

Jim
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Yes, Bolo is a real martial artist. His favorite style, believe it or not, is Tai Chi. Although in his youth he studied different systems, and also trained a little with Bruce Lee. In the movies, among many hard-core KF movie fans, Bolo was often known (for better or worse) for his “no-look style,” where he would often fight looking away from his onscreen opponent.
Thanks Jim. I had read about him winning a bunch of bodybuilding titles but not much about his martial arts. He always looks larger than 5'6" onscreen too.

Joe
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:10 am
Thanks Jim. I had read about him winning a bunch of bodybuilding titles but not much about his martial arts. He always looks larger than 5'6" onscreen too.

Joe
Yes, he does look bigger than he is. I’m at least 3” taller than he is, and I’m on the lower side of average height. But he is thick and probably still packs quite a punch in real life, even now in his 70s.

There are some clips from movies that are lesser-known in the West featuring Bolo Yeung that I’d like to include in this thread, with him fighting guys like John Cheung, Wang Lung-Wei, and Phillip Ko Fei, etc., but unfortunately, the best ones include other scenes that are totally inappropriate for the forum.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Odd Couple (1979, Hong Kong. Director: Lau Kar-Wing. Action directors: Sammo Hung & Lau Kar-Wing.

This kung fu comedy features some of the finest and most difficult martial arts weapons choreography.

Final rivalry match: Sammo Hung vs Lau Kar-Wing:

https://youtu.be/eyhEIFezCyc

Jim