Sharpies

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 21117
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Sharpies

Postby Evil D » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:26 am

prndltech wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:09 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:47 pm
prndltech wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:54 am
I have never had good luck with the ultra fine tip sharpies
What issues have you had?

They don’t like to get wet which is an issue I have fairly often which is why I still carry a ball point pen.
They never seem to write well... or at all. Maybe the few I’ve tried have just been bad examples but I seem to have no issues with regular ones


I loved the idea of the pen/marker combo being able to get both in one writing instrument but I can't go without some kind of pen with a Fisher cartridge. They haven't let me down now for 3.5 years of all weather/ nearly all surface writing. My only complaint is if you drop it once and it lands on the tip it's probably ruined and refills are $6 each.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

prndltech
Member
Posts: 708
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: Sharpies

Postby prndltech » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:17 am

Evil D wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:26 am
prndltech wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:09 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:47 pm
prndltech wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:54 am
I have never had good luck with the ultra fine tip sharpies
What issues have you had?

They don’t like to get wet which is an issue I have fairly often which is why I still carry a ball point pen.
They never seem to write well... or at all. Maybe the few I’ve tried have just been bad examples but I seem to have no issues with regular ones


I loved the idea of the pen/marker combo being able to get both in one writing instrument but I can't go without some kind of pen with a Fisher cartridge. They haven't let me down now for 3.5 years of all weather/ nearly all surface writing. My only complaint is if you drop it once and it lands on the tip it's probably ruined and refills are $6 each.
I love them as well
The planter, the farmer, the mechanic, and the laborer... form the great body of the people of the United States, they are the bone and sinew of the country men who love liberty and desire nothing but equal rights and equal laws. - Andrew Jackson

User avatar
jpm2
Member
Posts: 814
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:40 pm
Location: TX - in the sticks

Re: Sharpies

Postby jpm2 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:50 pm

Regular and fine tip sharpies are tools I use at work, along with ball point pen, pencil, soapstone, and scribe.
Last edited by jpm2 on Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 17773
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Sharpies

Postby JD Spydo » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:20 pm

I keep Sharpies, Magic Markers and various other types of felt pens handy and find myself using them for a wide array of uses. I'm finding myself using Fine and ultra-fine Sharpies and Felt Pens a lot more than I do the ones that print big.

For the past 3 years I've pretty much only used gel pens for my everyday writing, note taking and most other necessary writing. Most people laugh, mock and make fun of me because I make hard copies of everything. We had a severe Power Outage here in Blue Springs, MO where I live this past Spring of 2019 and most of the people that live close to me and in my neighborhood all had vital information like phone numbers, addresses, names and contact information for goods and services stored in their phones and electronic devices which most of them were not working at the time>> because most of them had no way to re-charge their devices. They were all asking me for the numbers, addresses and names because most of them relied solely upon their electronic devices instead of writing them down and making a hard copy record of them. Whereas I made printed hard copies of every bit of vital information I thought I would need. It turned out to be a real life saver here where I live not only for me but also for my friends and neighbors as well.

But oddly enough those same people that were found helpless in that same Black Out are still relying on their phones and other electronic devices to store vital information :confused: . I'll always make hard copies of everything. And I will never do without my pens, sharpies, felt pens, gel pens and notebooks for important record keeping. I don't care how high tech our society gets because I'll always keep hard copies of everything I might need.

weeping minora
Member
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:30 pm

Re: Sharpies

Postby weeping minora » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:21 pm

Been using an Industrial Super Permanent Ink Sharpie that was handed to me about a month back which I carry with me for work purposes in a scabbard (not on me). Seems true to specs so far and holds ink in abrasive and wet conditions. Time will tell just how well, but it hasn't turned that "purple" hue that regular sharpies seem to fade to over time. I always get paranoid carrying a pen or sharpie in and outside of work due to any leakage that might occur and ruin my pants/shirts if I bump into anything and cause a possible leak :eek: :mad: :(.
On the quest for equilibrium...

prndltech
Member
Posts: 708
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: Sharpies

Postby prndltech » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:09 am

weeping minora wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:21 pm
I always get paranoid carrying a pen or sharpie in and outside of work due to any leakage that might occur and ruin my pants/shirts if I bump into anything and cause a possible leak :eek: :mad: :(.
I won’t say it’s impossible... but I’ve carried, used and abused sharpies for 50-60 hours a week, for over a decade in the shop and never had one leak. The get thrown, bumped, dropped, etc...
The planter, the farmer, the mechanic, and the laborer... form the great body of the people of the United States, they are the bone and sinew of the country men who love liberty and desire nothing but equal rights and equal laws. - Andrew Jackson

kiwisailor
Member
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:26 pm
Location: Northern New Zealand

Re: Sharpies

Postby kiwisailor » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:30 pm

soc_monki wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:31 pm
I take notes on my phone if I need to, and have my knives.
You will probably scratch the screen.. :mad:

User avatar
RustyIron
Member
Posts: 213
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: La Habra, CA

Sharpie: Hot Tip

Postby RustyIron » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:32 pm

Sharpie Paint Pen. It's somewhat similar to a Dalo marker, but it's a felt tip so it's a little more controllable. Comes in a pack of five colors for eight bucks. So far I'm happy with these for a technical/industrial environment. The Sharpie Metallic Pens aren't very good unless you're a teenage girl coloring up her notebook.

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 21117
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Sharpies

Postby Evil D » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:06 am

I've been using these Sharpie Pros for coloring knife bevels and they work significantly better than any other that I've used and I have a couple other industrial Sharpies. These seem almost more like a paint than ink and go on very dark.


Image


I hope they make these in a fine/ultra fine combo but I doubt it.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

User avatar
soc_monki
Member
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:54 am

Re: Sharpies

Postby soc_monki » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:45 am

kiwisailor wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:30 pm

You will probably scratch the screen.. :mad:
Screens been broken for a few years now, no big deal! :D
Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam
Kershaw : Tone, Cryo, Cryo 2, Thermite, Atmos, Natrix 7007cf, Natrix 7008cf, Bareknuckle 7777, Bareknuckle 20cv, Concierge
Zero Tolerance : 0566CF, 0770CF, 0770GRYBW, 0562CF, 0470, 0456CF, 0095BW, 0801TI
Ontario : Rat 1
CRKT : Caligo
Civivi : Plethiros, Baklash
Cold Steel : AD10
Benchmade : 810-1401 Contego, 15080-2 Crooked River, 15080-Custom Crooked River, 560BK-1 Super Freek, 15085 Mini Crooked River, 940-2, 550-1 Griptilian, 950bk Rift
Buck : 110, Bucklite 422, 110 LT, 110 Slim Select, 112 Slim Pro
Artisan : Tradition

prndltech
Member
Posts: 708
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: Sharpies

Postby prndltech » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:02 am

Evil D wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:06 am
I've been using these Sharpie Pros for coloring knife bevels and they work significantly better than any other that I've used and I have a couple other industrial Sharpies. These seem almost more like a paint than ink and go on very dark.


Image


I hope they make these in a fine/ultra fine combo but I doubt it.
I haven’t seen these... I’d like one that’s like a regular fine point... the “classic” sharpie
The planter, the farmer, the mechanic, and the laborer... form the great body of the people of the United States, they are the bone and sinew of the country men who love liberty and desire nothing but equal rights and equal laws. - Andrew Jackson

prndltech
Member
Posts: 708
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: Sharpies

Postby prndltech » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:05 am

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:20 pm
I keep Sharpies, Magic Markers and various other types of felt pens handy and find myself using them for a wide array of uses. I'm finding myself using Fine and ultra-fine Sharpies and Felt Pens a lot more than I do the ones that print big.

For the past 3 years I've pretty much only used gel pens for my everyday writing, note taking and most other necessary writing. Most people laugh, mock and make fun of me because I make hard copies of everything. We had a severe Power Outage here in Blue Springs, MO where I live this past Spring of 2019 and most of the people that live close to me and in my neighborhood all had vital information like phone numbers, addresses, names and contact information for goods and services stored in their phones and electronic devices which most of them were not working at the time>> because most of them had no way to re-charge their devices. They were all asking me for the numbers, addresses and names because most of them relied solely upon their electronic devices instead of writing them down and making a hard copy record of them. Whereas I made printed hard copies of every bit of vital information I thought I would need. It turned out to be a real life saver here where I live not only for me but also for my friends and neighbors as well.

But oddly enough those same people that were found helpless in that same Black Out are still relying on their phones and other electronic devices to store vital information :confused: . I'll always make hard copies of everything. And I will never do without my pens, sharpies, felt pens, gel pens and notebooks for important record keeping. I don't care how high tech our society gets because I'll always keep hard copies of everything I might need.
That’s a very good idea. I wouldn’t even know what numbers/addresses/information I would need in a power outage? I guess it was long term? How would one make phone calls? I don’t have a house phone... not that it would work either...
The planter, the farmer, the mechanic, and the laborer... form the great body of the people of the United States, they are the bone and sinew of the country men who love liberty and desire nothing but equal rights and equal laws. - Andrew Jackson

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 21117
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Sharpies

Postby Evil D » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:39 am

prndltech wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:02 am
Evil D wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:06 am
I've been using these Sharpie Pros for coloring knife bevels and they work significantly better than any other that I've used and I have a couple other industrial Sharpies. These seem almost more like a paint than ink and go on very dark.


Image


I hope they make these in a fine/ultra fine combo but I doubt it.
I haven’t seen these... I’d like one that’s like a regular fine point... the “classic” sharpie


Same here. These really aren't the best for writing unless you're doing some larger markings or something like that but for sharpening purposes I'd still recommend one. I do hope they make other versions with this ink though.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

User avatar
Ez556
Member
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:16 pm

Re: Sharpies

Postby Ez556 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:00 am

I carry a sharpie with my in my EDC bag and I also carry one at work, both have been very useful! I generally have a Pilot G2 pen that I do most of my writing with though.
soc_monki wrote: I may carry a pen if I think I might need one, but my wife is usually with me and she carries pens and whatnot... That's what a wife is for! :D
I actually started carrying an EDC bag because my wife never had anything I needed when I asked her. Lotion, a tissue, pen, bandaid, etc... I don’t know what she has in that big purse of hers, but now she asks ME when she needs something! :p
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests