Street Beat Discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Street Beat Discussion

Post by vivi »

The Street Beat has quickly become one of my most carried Spydercos. Don't see much discussion on them, so thought I'd start one!

I owned the original Street Beat years ago....
Vivi wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:24 am

More photos here: http://imgur.com/a/p6ZuS#0
But it didn't see much carry time, so I traded it off.

Over the years I developed a greater appreciation for fixed blades, and came back to this model. Didn't see any of the originals in stock, so went with the lightweight version.

I'm very happy with this iteration of the Street Beat. While it doesn't have the striking, classy appearance of the micarta version, its every bit as functional, includes some new refinements, and retails for close to half the price.

Comparing the original to the current version, here are some changes I've noticed:

1. Coated VG10 and FRN VS satin VG10 and Micarta

2. The jimping on the spine extends further back into the scales like the Street Bowie.

3. The sheath design is different. It has stronger retention and less rattle.

4. The tang area between the index choil and cutting edge has been rounded.

5. I'm going from memory here, but the handle feels like it has slightly more 3D depth to the palm swell. Could be wrong though.

I think these small touches improve on the design, especially the updated sheath. While the micarta scales looked better, the FRN scales provide better grip. The lightweight version makes a great user.

I really like the handle design on the Street Beat. Looking at photos I was always worried about how straight the overall shape was; I tend to prefer a more negative angle. Once I held it the first time my concerns ceased. It's very ergonomic and secure, working well in a wide variety of grips. In fact I prefer its handle to the Street Bowie, and I usually go for larger handles on my knives.

I like pairing mine with a multitool.

Any other Street Beat fans out there?
:unicorn
prndltech

Re: Street Beat Discussion

Post by prndltech »

I just got a street beat. It came surprisingly un-sharp and super thick behind the edge. I’ve got butter knives that are sharper... seriously. It wouldn’t cut skin out the box let alone paper of any kind. Not a big deal, just gonna take it to the Atoma 400 plate and thin it out. Just haven’t had time yet, but I’m looking forward to it!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
vivi

Post by vivi »

prndltech wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:44 pm
I just got a street beat. It came surprisingly un-sharp and super thick behind the edge. I’ve got butter knives that are sharper... seriously. It wouldn’t cut skin out the box let alone paper of any kind. Not a big deal, just gonna take it to the Atoma 400 plate and thin it out. Just haven’t had time yet, but I’m looking forward to it!

Same here. Pretty thick, dull, and even worse the edge was recurved. If I lay the flat part of the cutting edge on a ruler there's a big gap between the start of the belly and the start of the edge. Took a lot of steel removal to get it where I wanted, but it cuts very well now:

I'm leaving mine with a pretty toothy finish.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I will as well... I didn’t look at it to in depth. Felt it and immediately put it up to be reprofiled. I’ve had it course a week or 2. Been crazy busy. May start on it tomorrow or Saturday. Not much planned for those days... I didn’t think it was recurved. I’ll have to look at it again?
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
vivi

Post by vivi »

prndltech wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:00 pm
I will as well... I didn’t look at it to in depth. Felt it and immediately put it up to be reprofiled. I’ve had it course a week or 2. Been crazy busy. May start on it tomorrow or Saturday. Not much planned for those days... I didn’t think it was recurved. I’ll have to look at it again?
It's not supposed to be :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I have owned 3 of them over the years. Like I mentioned in another recent thread here on the Forum my late Best Friend used his STREETBEAT for his main EDC. He had a really cool ankle sheath and he was able to quickly deploy it almost faster than I could deploy my M390 Military model.

The one that I still own I rarely use>> however I've given deep consideration to sending it to Wiley Knives or one of the other knifemakers that can put serrations on a plain edged knife for a fee. For years I've wondered just how good the STREETBEAT model would be in SE. My late best friend was always complaining to me that he wanted a serrated version of the STREETBEAT model as well.

Now I never could get to like the lightweight version as much as I always liked the original Micarta version. Although if I found one in a pawn shop really cheap I would get it>> that might be the better one to put serrations on anyway. The STEETBEAT is a classic and will be for a long time I'm sure.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I’ll report back. It’s in the safe as I’m currently carrying hawkbills. But I have some time over the next day or 2, hope to put an edge on it!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
blues

Post by blues »

This little "Subway Bowie" was a surprise Fred Perrin made for me while visiting him in Paris twenty years ago.

Figured you'd appreciate the pedigree and lineage...

- Retired from the chase -
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

blues wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:15 pm
This little "Subway Bowie" was a surprise Fred Perrin made for me while visiting him in Paris twenty years ago.

Figured you'd appreciate the pedigree and lineage...

Holy Mackeral!!! that would make one really cool neck knife. I wish Fred Perrin would talk to Spyderco about that. Truly that would be a cool way for Spyderco to stake their claim in the current "Neck Knife" market.

And I love that name "Subway Bowie". I wonder if Laci Szabo or any of the other knife makers that Fred Perrin deals with would also make that model. That is really cool!!
blues

Post by blues »

Fred made it with a small kydex sheath for pocket carry while I was in Paris but I carry it as a neck knife primarily. I named it "Le Metro" in honor of the Parisian subway system.

I don't remember if I ever showed this one to Laci.

(I bought my first Perrin Griffe from Laci back in the 90's while I was still living and working in South FL. Just drove down to his place in Kendall at the time. A couple years later he, Fred and I drove up to the Blade Show and back together. My other Griffe was given to me by Fred when he took it from around his neck. It was an honor.)

Forgive the old pix and sidetrack. First is the one I bought via Laci. Second image is the "Tribal Griffe" Fred gave me from around his neck.

- Retired from the chase -
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Some fixed blades with similar handle design language: Perrin Le Bowie, Spyderco Street Beat LW, and White River Backpacker Pro.

Not surprisingly, the Street Beat has the best ergonomics as the handle fills my hand well. I've always wanted the micarta version because it looks so cool, but from the previous comments, I guess the FRN version is pretty good in its own way.
Attachments
white_river_backpacker_pro_etal.jpg
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

One of the best small fixed blades ever made.I hope Sal will bring the micarta version back.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I really like mine but it never gets carried because my wardrobe is too complicated. I really wish there was a wharnie version of this knife with the same handle and same blade length.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I LOVE the micarta version! It sees quite a bit of carry.

Mine took a bit of effort to make the edge passable, but now it's very sharp. Also, I'm pretty sure the recurve isn't a mistake, but part of the design. I love the slight recurve, it keeps the material in the cut.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

I too had a micarta version which I stupidly sold :(
Saw Vivi mention the LW version and I will pick one up soon to give it a try. Will have to give some thought as to where and how I'll carry it. Really wish the blade was available in satin.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Have 4 Fred Perrin neck knives from when he first started out and sold his knives in a snaplock bag with a photocopy paper label.

Le Kiridashi D2
Le Shark
Le Heron
La Griffe Bowie
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've really enjoyed the photos and stories of Perrin's other designs, thanks for sharing guys! I've thought about getting a La Griffe, this thread might push me over the edge!
Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:49 am
I LOVE the micarta version! It sees quite a bit of carry.

Mine took a bit of effort to make the edge passable, but now it's very sharp. Also, I'm pretty sure the recurve isn't a mistake, but part of the design. I love the slight recurve, it keeps the material in the cut.
I figured it wasn't supposed to have recurve since my original didn't, but it'll cut fine either way. Just made it trickier getting the middle of the blade 100% as sharp as the rest.

Cycletroll wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:52 am
I too had a micarta version which I stupidly sold :(
Saw Vivi mention the LW version and I will pick one up soon to give it a try. Will have to give some thought as to where and how I'll carry it. Really wish the blade was available in satin.
It would only take 20 minutes or so to strip the coating with a product like citristrip. I've done it to a lot of ESEE knives.

Anyways I carry mine around 3 o clock day to day, and clipped to my pocket when I hike. I switched the G-clip to the other side so it works better clipped RFP. When I belt carry I put the sheath in between my belt and pants. It rides a little closer to my body thanks to the tension from my belt, which keeps it from bumping into things as much.
KitsuneSan

Post by KitsuneSan »

I initially hated my street beat lightweight because of the slight recurve and blade angle, but after grinding the recurve away and reprofiling the blade angle I love it!

I'll have to try that citristrip out. Scratched the crap out of my dlc finish while I was getting rid of the recurve
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Always thought it was on the small side for a fixed blade, I normally don't like anything under 4".

Good to put in a kit or a go bag I think.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Slight recurve here to, but seems a little further back.
Starting to remove material via the Atoma 400 now... LOTS of work to do here.

- Shannon

MNOSD 0006