Discussion: What do you think is the best size for an EDC folder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zuludelta

Re: Discussion: What do you think is the best size for an EDC folder?

Post by zuludelta »

The Meat man wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:23 pm
zuludelta wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:44 pm
... I had a manager who said that my Dragonfly looked "scary").
Isn't that pitiful? One wonders how he/she manages to get through life being so timorous.
The funny thing is, he was pretty much a regular dude except for his very specific aversion to/fear of knives. If I had to play armchair psychologist, it's probably the result of some past trauma that never got addressed. Or maybe it's just a fear born out of ignorance—many people reflexively fear that which they are unfamiliar.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:42 pm
Bloke I am truly appreciative of your contributions here. I have had many truly excellent laughs thanks to things you have posted (such as the above).

And as you said, there is no truly "best" of anything. I always want to kick myself when I ask something like "what is the best thing that happened to you yesterday". The only true right answer is "it depends" -- and hopefully there were a lot of good things that happened to you yesterday, any one will do.

And I suppose that is what the original post asked when it said "what do you think?" So I said what I think -- PM2 is ideal for me -- but I don't have any legal issues to contend with here in Arizona. In general for me bigger is better -- but that is simply "what I think".

I guess the thread may have veered off when some peoples reasons for EDC carry turned to self defense. Ssome people carry a knife to open packages and clean dirt out from under their nails. Nothing wrong with either one in my book, but it tends towards different answers.
You’re kind words humble me Tom, and it pleases me immensely that you and a few others get a laugh from my silly humour.

I feel “The Best” is always subjective and one man’s meat is another man’s poison. I tell my kids and anyone else who cares to listen: Always hope for the best. The best you can hope for is to die in your sleep but not just yet, is all. Ah, hahaha! :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:42 pm
Bloke I am truly appreciative of your contributions here. I have had many truly excellent laughs thanks to things you have posted (such as the above).

And as you said, there is no truly "best" of anything. I always want to kick myself when I ask something like "what is the best thing that happened to you yesterday". The only true right answer is "it depends" -- and hopefully there were a lot of good things that happened to you yesterday, any one will do.

And I suppose that is what the original post asked when it said "what do you think?" So I said what I think -- PM2 is ideal for me -- but I don't have any legal issues to contend with here in Arizona. In general for me bigger is better -- but that is simply "what I think".

I guess the thread may have veered off when some peoples reasons for EDC carry turned to self defense. Ssome people carry a knife to open packages and clean dirt out from under their nails. Nothing wrong with either one in my book, but it tends towards different answers.
I like Bloke too. I don't know how he responds so quickly with the appropriate gif, but he never fails.

As far as forum discussions and where they may lead, I am sure that Spyderco's Marketing Department reads what people are thinking and it gives them insight in to how these tools are being used. I think we should feel free to say what is on our mind... Spyderco needs and appreciates that hard data. It helps them plan, advertise, and see beyond their walls.

I have a lot of knives, but I'm pushing 60, not 20. I buy new and they are meant to be users, and I'm in to self defense and bush-crafting tools. I don't get out to do as much as I'd like, but I buy for those occasions where they may be used. I'd love to go on a 6 month bug out to Alaska, and see what these knives could do.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

This varies for me. Mostly it ranges between Delica size at the small end and Military size at the large end. If I had to choose just one size it would be 3.5” blade, no choil, in a 4.25” handle.
nativeleek

Post by nativeleek »

Bill1170 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:11 pm
This varies for me. Mostly it ranges between Delica size at the small end and Military size at the large end. If I had to choose just one size it would be 3.5” blade, no choil, in a 4.25” handle.
Why no choil?

I personally consider forward finger choil as one of the best designs from Spyderco because it keeps my fingers safe.
Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Native 5, Sage 5, Chaparral, Techno 2, Positron, SpydieChef, Para 3, Lil' Native lockback
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I prefer a blade whose edge comes back to the handle. I’d much rather use only the handle to grasp the knife.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Me too. I've never had issues using choil-free designs safely.
:unicorn