Sage 5 Lightweight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: Sage 5 Lightweight

Post by Sharp Guy »

Enactive wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:45 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:41 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:35 pm
The price difference between this and the Para 3 version is a bit puzzling. They are essentially the same knife, besides the size of the thumb ramp and depending who you talk to...S30V being a better steel. They are the same size, feel similar in hand (at least the G10 versions do) I had a Para 3 LW and imagine the feel on the Sage would be the same regarding the changes from G10 to FRN
Doesn't the sage 5 lw have full skeletonized liners?
Yes. Totally different construction. The Sage 5 LW has nested skeletonized liners. Vs one partial liner on Para 3 LW.
It's also made in Taiwan instead of Spyderco's own plant in Golden. May (or may not) have something to do with the price difference.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Ahhh, I was unaware of that! Thanks for filling me in you two. Though I don't think that should justify a $30 or so price increase for the extra liner.

As Pat mentioned, being manufactured in Taiwan vs Golden could also play a factor. I'm just not seeing it though, justifying the price between the two.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

Could anyone post a side-by-side shot of the para 3 LW and the sage LW? I'm interested in comparisons between the two.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:16 pm
Ahhh, I was unaware of that! Thanks for filling me in you two. Though I don't think that should justify a $30 or so price increase for the extra liner.

As Pat mentioned, being manufactured in Taiwan vs Golden could also play a factor. I'm just not seeing it though, justifying the price between the two.
The Sage 5 LW also has a actual metal stand-off with 2 screws and a metal lanyard tube vs molded plastic ones on the Para 3 LW. If you discount 35% from the retail price of both knives there's a $23.00 difference. I agree it's still a pretty substantial price difference between the two. Not sure why the Sage 5 LW is only being discounted 30% but it could be a sign of things to come. Also, if you compare the price of the Sage 5 vs. Sage 5 LW the price of the former seems to be about right. Regardless, Sal has said they do their best to keep the prices consistent between the various models and still make what they need to run the place. I'm sure there's a reason the price of the S5 LW is where it is. Sometimes it's hard for us ELUs understand but it is what it is.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Skidoosh wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:24 pm
Could anyone post a side-by-side shot of the para 3 LW and the sage LW? I'm interested in comparisons between the two.
Open up the two links in separate tabs in your web browser and then click between the two. The look pretty much the same except for the handle material and texture of course. The LW is .5 oz lighter than the CF/G10 laminate model.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... ock--36444

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... ght--97437
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I just saw the Nick Shabazz disassembly video and evidently the sage 5 lw has a pivot bushing like the qci kapara. Could make a big difference for the action snobs.
Gamecock

Post by Gamecock »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:29 am
I just saw the Nick Shabazz disassembly video and evidently the sage 5 lw has a pivot bushing like the qci kapara. Could make a big difference for the action snobs.
So, for those less knowledgeable of the details like myself, is the pivot bushing a good thing for the action, or not?
buckleys

Post by buckleys »

Gamecock wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:43 am
Notsurewhy wrote:
So, for those less knowledgeable of the details like myself, is the pivot bushing a good thing for the action, or not?
It's good. Makes it drop shut right out of box. There is no "break in" to get it smooth.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

buckleys wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:46 am
Gamecock wrote:
Notsurewhy wrote:
It's good. Makes it drop shut right out of box. There is no "break in" to get it smooth.
Yup, the bushing reduces friction in the pivot for smoother opening/closing action without using bearings.

Link to the video below. Nick makes really nice disassembly videos and reviews and is worth checking out. He's not for everyone, but a very good source of info. particularly if you're trying to take apart a knife with a tricky locking mechanism or just one that is new to you.

https://youtu.be/Sc0bGpqhqcM
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:16 pm

Looking at full MSRP, the Para 3 LW is 68% of the price of the standard Para 3. The Sage 5 LW is 75% the price of the standard Sage 5. Compared to the standard Para 3, the Para 3 LW uses a cheaper blade steel*, the Para 3 LW has a single liner vs dual liners, and the Para 3 LW replaces the metal lanyard tube and standoff with plastic components. In contrast, the Sage 5 LW retains all of those features from the standard version. To me, that sounds like a way to shave an extra 7% off the price of the para 3 LW vs the original, when comparing the relative prices of the four models. It's not just $30 for an extra liner.

*BD1N is a conventional cast ingot steel vs S30V being a powder metallurgy steel with a more complex alloy.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

You must be an engineer or something, no way did I look into this this deep! Just from my simple minded observation :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:20 pm
You must be an engineer or something, no way did I look into this this deep! Just from my simple minded observation :p
Lol, no, but a friend with two PhD's in hard sciences says I'm the most analytical person they know. I guess I'm continuing to prove them right :D
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ugaarguy,

In my opinion, that is not a flaw and there are probably a few out there with the same "disease" (like me and some of the other OC members). In fact I enjoy your analysis.

sal
Gamecock

Post by Gamecock »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:53 pm
buckleys wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:46 am
Gamecock wrote:
Notsurewhy wrote:
Yup, the bushing reduces friction in the pivot for smoother opening/closing action without using bearings.

Link to the video below. Nick makes really nice disassembly videos and reviews and is worth checking out. He's not for everyone, but a very good source of info. particularly if you're trying to take apart a knife with a tricky locking mechanism or just one that is new to you.

https://youtu.be/Sc0bGpqhqcM
Very helpful video, thanks. Anybody know a place that has these in stock?
DTPrime

Post by DTPrime »

GP Knives got them in a couple hours ago and they appear to still be in stock.

https://www.gpknives.com/spyderco-sage- ... 23pbk.html
Gamecock

Post by Gamecock »

DTPrime wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:50 pm
GP Knives got them in a couple hours ago and they appear to still be in stock.

https://www.gpknives.com/spyderco-sage- ... 23pbk.html
Thank you! They had a little bit better deal on them too.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I was just there, at their website, and they were still available. Thanks for the tip!

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

GPKnives OOS

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

Great action to it!