How was your 2019?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

How was your 2019?

Post by vivi »

The year is almost up. How was your knife life?

Make many purchases? Slim down the collection, selling off Spydies you haven't used in a while? Finally catch a grail you've spent years hunting for? What are you looking forward to in 2020?

I picked up more knives than usual this year. 2020 I'll definitely be slimming the collection down, though I'll be keeping everything on this list.

When the Pacific Salt was discontinued I had to grab a few back-ups. I think I grabbed 3 SE, two blacked out, one satin finished. That gives me five SE and a couple PE, should last me the rest of my days.

Picked up the Bow River. Lovely knife. Really good ergonomics, I like the way the handle swells towards the rear giving extra grip security on draw cuts. The flowing curve of the cutting edge is great for food prep - mine was my only kitchen knife on vacation this fall. I feel like I understand Phil's design philosophy much better after using the Bow River. Been planning to order the kydex sheath for it, but it keeps slipping my mind. Mixed feelings on the origin though...I think this might be my last chinese knife.

Grabbed the Street Beat lightweight. This along with the next knife on my list are basically the only Spydercos I've been carrying October & November. It's funny how perfect this knife fits my hand, how useful I find the blade shape and overall size, and how comfortably it carries. It's the perfect EDC fixed blade for me yet I sold the original version I owned. That was back when I had no clue how to comfortably EDC one. Tastes sure do evolve. This version doesn't feel as high-end, but it performs just as well for half the price.

I bought a CE Tenacious for a co-worker that was always asking to borrow my knife. He's been doing things to it that'd make folks here cringe, but its held up well. Always good to see them put to use :)

Police 4 LW was a no brainer. Had a feeling it'd kick all my other folding Spydercos out of my pockets and I was right. Some days I feel like I should sell off all my folders besides this and some serrated Pacific Salts. This one is such a perfect EDC for me, I love it.

---------------------------

In 2019 I didn't pursue any sprints. None caught my fancy. I love the idea of micarta scaled Spydercos but the Shaman isn't my cup of tea. It was nice sticking to in stock, in production, run of the mill models aside from the Pacific Salt.

In the second half of the year I did something I haven't done in a long time....bought more non-spydies than Spydercos. Mostly Opinels and Swiss Army Knives. I stopped carrying the knife I've EDC'd the longest - a Leatherman Micra - and replaced it with a Victorinox Spartan. Then replaced that with a Tinker, which I've settled on as the perfect companion to my Police or Street Beat.

In 2020 I'm looking forward to the Siren, Swick 5, and the possibility of a sprint Police Lightweight. Also excited to see what surprises Spyderco has in store for us. They always have something hidden up their sleeves :)
:unicorn
TomAiello

Re: How was your 2019?

Post by TomAiello »

Definitely added too many in 2019. I'm in the process of trying to slim down the collection (again).
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

My two main knife goals for the year fell short in 2019. But I still have hope for the upcoming 2020 knife season/year. The two I wanted so bad were the re-introduction of the G-10 Harpy and the re-introduction of the C-60 Ayoob with a G-10 handle and to be made again in PE & SE both.

No I won't shut up until we get those two great Spyderco models back on line. Because we have a lot of new Spyderville citizens that deserve a shot at those two awesome, classic models.

And I'm still holding out hope that they will consider bringing back the TEMPERANCE 1 model in the Salt Series with LC200N blades in PE & SE both.

Other than those issues I can't really complain about the year 2019 in the big picture. But I won't shut up until I get I want and what the citizens of Spyderville deserve :cool:
vivi

Post by vivi »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:14 pm
My two main knife goals for the year fell short in 2019. But I still have hope for the upcoming 2020 knife season/year. The two I wanted so bad were the re-introduction of the G-10 Harpy and the re-introduction of the C-60 Ayoob with a G-10 handle and to be made again in PE & SE both.

No I won't shut up until we get those two great Spyderco models back on line. Because we have a lot of new Spyderville citizens that deserve a shot at those two awesome, classic models.

And I'm still holding out hope that they will consider bringing back the TEMPERANCE 1 model in the Salt Series with LC200N blades in PE & SE both.

Other than those issues I can't really complain about the year 2019 in the big picture. But I won't shut up until I get I want and what the citizens of Spyderville deserve :cool:
JD, if the Ayoob ever does come back, count me in for one. Your posts about the model got me interested in it years ago. That strong negative angle looks like it'd give incredible leverage on utility cuts.
:unicorn
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

It was good because I bought too many.

What Im looking forward to.
Pacific salt 2
Shaman in a good steel and good handle color that I can actually get ahold of.
Military in a good steel and good handle color.
Police 4 lightweight k390/zdp

What Im hoping for that seems reasonable.
Spyderhawk salt 2.
Pacific salt 2 wharncliffe
Native chief lightweight and all options that would entail. (Salt, s110v, s30v, maxamet, pe, ce, se, etc)

Also any new large lockback models, especially ones out of Golden Im always looking forward to.
Last edited by VooDooChild on Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

2019 was a great year for me. I've really begun to figure out what models, styles, blade shapes, sizes really work for me. I've bought a bunch, but also sold a bunch (thank god I got off the Para 3 bandwagon, sold 5 of the 7 I had)

I was fortunate enough to land every exclusive model I sought after without having to look on the secondary market.

I've really fallen in love with carbon steels this past year, especially when they have DLC, though I'm not against a non DLC (looking at you K390 when I get the chance to recoop some funds)

2 models that have quickly become favorites, that last year I would have said were too big, or too expensive for my needs (Shaman and Military) It's funny that I think of my Manix's not as small knives, but not the big knife I always considered them to be. Larger knives are so much more versatile, compared to last year thinking the Para 3, Sages, Delica were ideal size. Nothing wrong with them, but larger is the way to go for me now.

2020 - I'd like to see some more of the great Golden models treated with some Rex45. Manix, or even a Native would be instant buys for me (yet to have a Native with all the knives I've cycled through the past few years, pretty incredible really haha)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Got better at sharpening which is my goal every year... You can always learn something and get better at that IMO.

Only have 3 spyderco folders because I wanted to focus on designs I will actually use and carry.

Really have enjoyed going clipless.

Looking forward to next year and the new designs.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

This year was a big mixed bag.

I bought lots of Spyderco's more than any other brand but also branched out into Cold Steel in CTS-XHP like the Broken Skull and the Tanto folder , purchased some Buck Exclusive 110's.

This year also saw me selling a large amount of my collection most of them back up models and ones I fell out of love with like the Spydiechef. Sold all of my fixed blades with the exception of the Benchmade Cleaver in S30V.

Sold all my M390 in favor of 20CV.

Gained a new appreciation for S30V which only came with education and freehand sharpening.

Really came to understand how great VG-10 really is.

Developed a high appreciation for low carbide steels.

Purchased some models I never thought I would like the Smock.

Bought the Parata just for the sheer oddness of it and the stop lock.

Gained a finer appreciation for Cruwear. Purchased my first Delica in it and love the Delica.

Learned about the Hawkbill knives and will be selling them.

Gained a greater appreciation for DLC and how to maintain it ( Thanks TKOSPY)

Fulfilled some models I always was interested in but never pulled the trigger on like the Gayle Bradley 2 and the recent Caly 3.5 inches in VG-10

Exhausted my curisity over the Endura and Delica in Wharncliffe versions.

Have turned my back on Fixed angled sharpening systems.

Stopped being a cheap skate trying to learn how to sharpen free from forums and you tube and purchased training lessons and water stones from Murray Carter.

Gained allot of respect for the videos Vivi makes which led me to want to free hand sharpen, learned allot for people like Pelagic, Cambertree and Deadboxhero.

Gave myself eye strain trying to comprehend some of Larrins articles. :) Lol

Complained allot about the way this years way of selling Spyderco products has been.

Still love the knives Spyderco produces.

Come the first of the year intend to sell the majority of my collection as I now know exactly what I like best and why.

Come the first of the year contemplating selling my fixed angle sharpening systems stones that have never been used etc.... Cut down on all the stuff I have accumulated Knives, Sharpening systems, strops, etc.....
anycal

Post by anycal »

Much lighter than previous years. Also scored Spyderco bench stones. Shaman Cruwear should have been on here.

Peter
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Having just got back from my fourth Seconds Sale in a row, I'd say my "Spyderco 2019" was phenomenal! :D

On top of that, I bought a number of models this year that were discontinued that I didn't want to miss out on for the collection.
Also, I've pretty much gotten over "FOMO" with every single sprint and exclusive that drops. I'm much more content buying the ones that really pique my interest and focusing more on buying design variety.

I'm looking forward to everything Spyderco has to offer in 2020! :cool:
-Nick :bug-red
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

This was probably the best year ever for my knife life. This was the year I scored the ultimate (in my opinion) Delica, the Hap40 Pakkawood Knifecenter exclusive. Having started my Spyderco journey with a Delica, Manix 2 and PM2, it's good to get an upgraded version of a knife I've used for nearly a decade.

I found and fell in love with the P4 G10. It felt as if the knife was specifically made for my hands and uses. Unfortunately I found it around the time it was discontinued, so I ordered a 2nd.

Last week I recieved a Mantra 2, it was my first time handling one, and much like the P4, I found a knife that fit my needs as if it were made with me in mind. I'm planning to write up a review soon, so I'll leave the juicy details out of this thread.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Best ever. The Cruwear Shaman and Cruwear Delica are two Grail knives for me. Hope to see much more Cruwear and Micarta in 2020 and beyond!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Expensive. In every category of life.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Insane... I really got bit by the knife bug and have purchased 50+ knives this year. Now I am starting to feel a little burned out and actually sold one off.

With all the new additions nothing has changed, I still like Delica 4 FRN best of all folders.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I moved to the Boston area, which has really affected how I am collecting/carrying knives. I sold off some knives before the move. Sadly, my beloved Sage 2 doesn't leave my apartment (sigh...). But I got myself an Urban in AEB-L to try out the steel and get a knife that is legal to carry. I also talked myself into the P4 LW. I have to say, I never thought I'd find such a big knife to be so comfortable. It's thin and light, which make it feel smaller than I initially expected. I've found myself passing on many knives that I previously thought I would purchase. If I can't carry them, then I am less inclined to purchase a new knives. So I am very happy with these latest two purchases, and I don't really feel like I'm missing out. I probably won't be purchasing any more pocket knives for the time being (with a possible exception).

I've been working on my freehand sharpening. I'm getting better albeit slowly. I am thinking about what stones to get when my King combo stone wears out. I'm also really interested in the new Murray Carter Spyderco collabs, because I'm always using a kitchen knife. So that might be a better way to stay in the knife game.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast on any given day but I don’t think I bought too many knives this year. The Province was undoubtedly my favourite purchase as was the Waterway and Advocate as Spyders go. I didn’t even like the Advocate when I first got it but I played around with it polished the lockbar insert etc. like Connor did his and now it’s a favourite.

I find it hard to get excited over folders in general which just seem to be variations of existing themes and the Reveals have had next to nothing that took my fancy. Squat little DLC coated blades hold no interest and back locks about the same.

All said, I took the plunge and learned to sharpen SE’s (‘on yah, Viveo and D! ;)) so I learned something which is always good and I’ve had plenty of laughs hanging out with all the good people on our Forum. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

As far as my knife life is concerned my 2019 went pretty well, At the beginning of the year I told myself was going to show some restraint and not buy as many knives as the previous few years. I did ok I guess. I didn't buy as many early on because a new hobby had my attention. I still managed to buy several knives but also sold off some. I think I still need to work on the restraint thing a little but at least that new hobby is bringing in some income to help pay for my knife habit. :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

cycleguy wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:38 pm
Insane... I really got bit by the knife bug and have purchased 50+ knives this year. Now I am starting to feel a little burned out and actually sold one off.

With all the new additions nothing has changed, I still like Delica 4 FRN best of all folders.

CG
I did warm up to carbon fiber handles ... Sage 1, Sage 5, Chaparral, PM2, and Magnitude. I like all of these carbon fiber variants.

I tried really, really hard to fall in love with the Shaman as so many others have, but I have had no luck with this!

I hope, most of all, the mule team keeps running strong well into the foreseeable future. :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

And yes, my knife sharpening skills have improved over the last 365 days...

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

It's been a good year. I've definitely slowed down on the buying. Sold a bunch of the knives I had, gave some away.

Notable acquisitions for the year include the CPM Cru-Wear and M390 Delicas, the St. Nick's Lil Native exclusive, and the Autonomy 2.

The Delicas are nice, but seeing as I rarely carry them anymore, I've been toying with the idea of selling them.

The Lil Native is a keeper for now. It's my tough do-anything small knife. I like the DLC 4V.

The Autonomy 2 has really taken over my pocket time. It is such a great knife in every way; I have literally no complaints with it at all. In fact, just today I was showing it to a customer of ours who's sort of into knives, and he was very impressed, took some photos and wanted to know the model and price so he can buy one. :)

Over the year I've learned a lot about sharpening, and have improved my own skills. Got a ways to go yet though.

I don't feel like I have to try to get every cool Sprint, which is fortunate because I can't. :rolleyes: I'd have liked to try the 4V or Cru-Wear Shamans but just couldn't afford it at the time. Not a big deal.
I am looking forward to the new year, particularly the Siren and the hoped-for BBB collaboration, and any other interesting new model or steel.

Big thanks to all you fellow members for making this such a cool place to be. :cool:

Thanks also to the moderators for doing such an amazing job keeping this place running smoothly. Your efforts are truly valuable and greatly appreciated! :)

I think 2019 has been Spyderco's best year yet and I can't wait to see all the surprises they have planned for 2020!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

This year I started modded and making knives. It was really good timing as Spyderco seemed to slow down on stuff that interested me. I’m hoping 2020 brings a lot more surprises from them.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra