What are you having for Thanksgiving?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

What are you having for Thanksgiving?

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanksgiving is a great time of year. We give thanks and then it’s time for Christmas. Basically from Thanksgiving until January 6 everything is a big celebration.

This year we are having a lot of friends over. And since I don’t like turkey and my wife does not either we are going to roast a couple of chickens. I’m going to rub them down very good with Zaterains creole seasoning and then roast them in the air fryer.

Someone is making lamb and someone else is bringing some sort of fish. We’re going to be stuffed. I’m going to make a sweet potato casserole and I don’t know what everyone else is bringing along that line. I think I’m going to have mashed potatoes instead of dressing or stuffing as some call it.

The main thing is to be around people that you love and to celebrate with them with a thankful heart.

Edit: I should have mentioned that there will be people of differing ethnicities and cultures attending, so the food will reflect that as everyone is bringing something.
Last edited by Doc Dan on Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Re: What are you having for Thanksgiving?

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm seriously considering having a roast duck. We have a grocery chain here in our town that sells frozen ducks from a company known as "Maple Leaf Farms" and their ducks are just absolutely delicious. And for those of you who have never yet eaten a oven roasted duck I'm telling you that it's one of the most delicious birds you will ever eat.

But I'm torn between that and a deer roast I was just given today. It's going to be a winner no matter which one I ultimately choose. But at this time I'm leaning on the roasted duck as my present first choice.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:44 am
I'm seriously considering having a roast duck. We have a grocery chain here in our town that sells frozen ducks from a company known as "Maple Leaf Farms" and their ducks are just absolutely delicious. And for those of you who have never yet eaten a oven roasted duck I'm telling you that it's one of the most delicious birds you will ever eat.

But I'm torn between that and a deer roast I was just given today. It's going to be a winner no matter which one I ultimately choose. But at this time I'm leaning on the roasted duck as my present first choice.
I vote for the duck! A good duck is hard to beat.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Bought a turkey a couple weeks back, was going to move it from the freezer to the refrigerator to thaw today but got lazy and decided to save it for a later date, maybe Christmas, and just go with a Marie Callender turkey pot pie on Thursday.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The Deacon wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:55 am
Bought a turkey a couple weeks back, was going to move it from the freezer to the refrigerator to thaw today but got lazy and decided to save it for a later date, maybe Christmas, and just go with a Marie Callender turkey pot pie on Thursday.
Paul, are you eating alone?

I’ve done that too often as I am usually a long way from home.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

This year I will be having stern words (again) from the Mrs about my Black Friday spending.

We don’t do Thanksgiving but Black Friday has taken off here over the last few years.

We do have a church Harvest Festival, however, traditionally held on the Sunday near or of the Harvest Moon, the full Moon that occurs closest to the autumn equinox in late September, which tells you all you need to know about it’s Pagan roots.

The early Church appropriated many pre-Christian festivals, and I guess the American Pilgrim Fathers didn’t feel the need to follow suit on this one!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Went to a big pot luck this saturday at a friends house. There were almost 40 people so we had a little of everything.

I have to work on turkey day so we are gonna just do a simple meal at home with the family. Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, green bean casserole and some chunky cranberry sauce. :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:23 am

Not counting four legged companions, I've been living alone for the last 19 years or so and have to admit I prefer it this way. This year I'll have my new little buddy, Romeo, with me. :)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:03 am
JD Spydo wrote:

Doc if you can check your local grocer and see if they have any ducks put out by the company known as "Maple Leaf Farms" you will be amazed at how good those ducks taste. They come with a pouch full of a type of sauce you can bake them with and it is excellent.

It is true that ducks are just a bit on the greasy side but it's not as bad as many people say it is. Not only that but if you only eat them on holidays and special occasions it's not bad at all. That same local grocer that I get my "Maple Leaf Farms" ducks from also has fresh turkey's if you order them at least a week in advance. And those fresh turkeys are sure nice and tender and tastes great as well.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

We've done the same for years, big bird, always with oyster stuffing. Mashed taters, gravy, green beans, squash casserole (onions, bacon, sour cream cream cheese and sharp American) homemade cranberry orange relish, cranberry nut bread, pecan pie (my wife makes the absolute best) and my son wanted a pumpkin pie this year. Already eating less, walking more, and reducing calories to make up for the "big day". We all have sooo much to be Thankful for. Several years ago I made the mistake of doing a ham without telling family. Almost had a mutiny, and cooked a bird the next weekend. Never do that again.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Same as always. Pack up the car tomorrow and head down to visit my parents in Florida over the holiday. Only difference this year will be my oldest coming on his own after his college classes tomorrow. Then we basically sit around, eat, play cards, go see a movie one night, and read.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:50 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:03 am
JD Spydo wrote:

Doc if you can check your local grocer and see if they have any ducks put out by the company known as "Maple Leaf Farms" you will be amazed at how good those ducks taste. They come with a pouch full of a type of sauce you can bake them with and it is excellent.

It is true that ducks are just a bit on the greasy side but it's not as bad as many people say it is. Not only that but if you only eat them on holidays and special occasions it's not bad at all. That same local grocer that I get my "Maple Leaf Farms" ducks from also has fresh turkey's if you order them at least a week in advance. And those fresh turkeys are sure nice and tender and tastes great as well.
No such brand over here. However, the Chinese really roast a good duck and I can buy them anywhere.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The Deacon wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:51 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:23 am

Not counting four legged companions, I've been living alone for the last 19 years or so and have to admit I prefer it this way. This year I'll have my new little buddy, Romeo, with me. :)
Dogs are good people. So are birds.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

One year we had a peacock. It was good, but it’s mostly white meat so can be a little dry.

Pheasant is always good. I don’t care for goose at all.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Im not sure. To be honest, I never really know. I’m frying a turkey... that’s my job. I’ll get the bird, prep it and fry it. Everyone else handles the rest. I usually go to my parents house and we have a collection of random people - sometimes it’s a motley crew. Never fully know what to expect.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Tdog wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:53 pm
We've done the same for years, big bird, always with oyster stuffing. Mashed taters, gravy, green beans, squash casserole (onions, bacon, sour cream cream cheese and sharp American) homemade cranberry orange relish, cranberry nut bread, pecan pie (my wife makes the absolute best) and my son wanted a pumpkin pie this year. Already eating less, walking more, and reducing calories to make up for the "big day". We all have sooo much to be Thankful for. Several years ago I made the mistake of doing a ham without telling family. Almost had a mutiny, and cooked a bird the next weekend. Never do that again.
My late mother was from the south ( Mississippi) and she had a recipe for that Oyster Stuffing you make mention of>>> and it was so good that I would almost eat myself sick I would eat so much of it. I miss my mother as it is but I really miss her fabulous cooking.

But like I said in my earlier post I'm kind of getting away from traditional Thanksgiving dishes. Which is why I'm going with the roast duck this year.

I always tend to like any type of wild game for holidays too. After all that's what most of our forefathers had for Thanksgiving.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Tdog wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:53 pm
We've done the same for years, big bird, always with oyster stuffing.
You ate Big Bird!? :eek:

:D

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

prndltech wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:51 am
Im not sure. To be honest, I never really know. I’m frying a turkey... that’s my job. I’ll get the bird, prep it and fry it. Everyone else handles the rest. I usually go to my parents house and we have a collection of random people - sometimes it’s a motley crew. Never fully know what to expect.
Set me straight please. I've heard that deep frying those turkeys is kind of dangerous and there have been some horrible accidents that people have had as a result. I've been told that if your turkey isn't 100% thawed out it can literally explode on you by putting it in a deep fryer? Is that correct? I've been told that by several people over the past 3 years.
Also what would be the advantage in frying a whole turkey versus just baking one in the oven? Do they taste better? I'm sure they cook quicker. Also is there any really reliable information on the internet so people will do it correctly and safely and not take horrible risks frying turkeys?

I've heard that some of those "Turkey Frying Accidents" have been very horrible in some cases>> so please if you can set us all straight on that one. Thank you in advance :)
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:47 am
prndltech wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:51 am
Set me straight please. I've heard that deep frying those turkeys is kind of dangerous and there have been some horrible accidents that people have had as a result. I've been told that if you turkey isn't 100% thawed out it can literally explode on you? Is that correct? I've been told that by several people over the past 3 years.
Also what would be the advantage in frying a whole turkey versus just baking one in the oven?
If frozen, yes they will shoot hot oil out the top of the pot, which will then ignite from the burner causing a grease fire essentially. I’ve done it for years and never had an issue, when you pull the bird out of the package and are taking the Giblets and stuff out the middle, you’ll know if it’s frozen. Those accidents are from people A) not paying attention, B) not knowing what they’re doing or C) all of the above. It’s not hard.

You don’t want the oil to overflow. I test the bird in the pot with water first, before heating anything so I know how much oil to add. Then pat the bird dry, heat the oil and there ya go!

Also, there is an oil-less fryer I use now, called THE BIG EASY! No oil, no mess, barely any clean up, no preheat time, same results.

The difference with frying is SUPER MOIST TENDER BIRD! You have to try it to know. Words can’t describe the perfect crispy outside and melt in your mouth turkey on the inside.

Don’t be afraid. It’s really very easy, after the first go at it, you’ll be a pro.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006