I almost missed out - K390 PM2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tucson Tom

I almost missed out - K390 PM2

Post by Tucson Tom »

I am looking at my latest addition - the PM2 with K390 steel.

This could be one of my all time favorite knives.

I almost missed out on it, because I had listened to all the griping about Bento Box Shop and somewhere along the line decided to effectively boycott them.

As I was told once on another forum (photography related) -- "beware the entrenched groupthink".

Actually the purchase from BBS was extremely smooth and the box arrived in record time. The knife of course is a Spyderco and all you would expect.

So I find myself asking, "what is the beef?" I have heard all the complaints -- they charge too much for shipping, they don't allow returns. It basically boils down to that. But anyone who has bought anything on Ebay knows that you ALWAYS look at the total price (item plus shipping). As long as you are OK with that -- no problem. And I am not one of these people who is forever returning things.

As far as price, the knife costs $199 -- but compare that to the Police 4 at $205 or so. If you want K390 and are a big fan of the PM2 like I am, I am OK with that price. I am a believer in freedom - they can charge whatever they want for shipping and as long as they let me know up front what those costs are, I have my freedom to buy or not to buy.

I almost titled this post "they lied to me", but I thought better of it.

What a great knife!
The Mastiff

Re: I almost missed out - K390 PM2

Post by The Mastiff »

:)

Enjoy your knife Tom. The more I use K390 the more I like it. It has taken me time to warm up to it mostly because I wasn't doing enough to separate it from some of the other steels which are already pretty good. It does everything I like in a steel.

Joe
blues

Post by blues »

Yep. As I stated in one of the other threads about this knife and BBS...it was actually a couple bucks less (shipped) than the Maxamet PM2 released just a short while back. I thought that one justified the price...so, where's the beef? It's either worth the price or it isn't.

I'd not pay that price for lesser steels, but these two warranted the expansion of the envelope (for me).

Glad you got a great knife. Glad I got one too. (My one and only transaction with BBS ever.)
- Retired from the chase -
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Glad you like your knife Tom! I'm another member that has no issue with BBS. 3 purchases with no problems...but you know you just opened a can of worms with this thread for all the cry babies.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Slashymac

Post by Slashymac »

Bento treated me great! I had a life mishap and not that I had buyers remorse or anything I was far from remorseful of my purchase I was just in a spot where it had to be returned. They were respectful and accommodating to my unique situation. As for price and shipping blah blah blah that’s all up to the buyer like said. It is my first Spyderco and first crazed about steel... I went from 8cr to s35. When I made this purchase even tho a para 3 I was going on faith and what seems to be years of research and self reflection. Moral of this is it ended up by knife gods that I kept this gem and through it all they were gentleman and dames about the deal. And price albeit I’m glad as I was able to get one unlike the original 4v I still drool over. Mainly appearances tho. This is now my daily driver and work horse I love her
Attachments
D192E1E9-2AFC-4514-9F04-C8267CD25094.jpeg
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I'm not really trying to stir up the mud -- just to tell the other side of the story. People will read things on the forum and think there is something wrong with this seller when there really isn't. Heck, I wish lots of things were cheaper (er .. less expensive). I wish I could get the S30V Shaman for under $150 as an example. I wish gasoline was 50 cent a gallon.

But this knife was definitely worth the price to me. No regrets here. It is pretty special. K390 is special stuff -- I wouldn't have bought the Police 4 except for the K390 -- but the knife itself turned out to be a whole different beast than what I expected, but that is a whole 'nuther story.

Still available too!
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Not planning to return your knife is all well and good, u til you get unlucky and get one with a major QC issue that the retailer refuses to make right...
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I have several BBS exclusives, including this one. Very pleased with them all.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

aaronkb wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:06 pm
Not planning to return your knife is all well and good, u til you get unlucky and get one with a major QC issue that the retailer refuses to make right...
Spyderco would make that right if it really was a QC issue.
Hobnob

Post by Hobnob »

Just received my second Delica M390 from BBS. I've not had a problem with them at all. Got to give them credit for picking models that sell well.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:27 pm
aaronkb wrote:
I've never returned a knife to a dealer and don't plan to unless they send me the wrong item. I've bought a whole bunch of knives through dealers and only had one with QC issues. That was a Spyderco Memory that I bought through Massdrop. So back to the mothership it went. It doesn't matter who I buy from. If it has issues that I feel should be warranty then it'll go direct to Spyderco's W&R department.

Glad you had a good experience and you're happy with your knife Tom!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Glad you bought the knife and you’re enjoying it, Tom. :)

I’m not sure why anyone living in the US would have a problem buying Spyders from Bento Box, unless they had exorbitant shipping costs, I s’pose, like they do for international orders.

I think it’s all a little silly and much ado about nothing particularly in view of Spyderco commitment to costumer service. I certainly wouldn’t not buy a knife I wanted from them if I lived in the US. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Good catch. I can't wait to use mine. But I need to treat it with tuff glide first. And even then, I'll likely only carry it when I'm away from the coast, and then it still has to compete with the 4V Shaman.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I bought their M390 Delica and have no complaints whatsoever. It was a smooth transaction with great customer service.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It was priced decently. I cannot complain there. It is a great knife made by a great company whose ethics I respect. Sure, BBS is not my preferred vendor but Spyderco definitely is my preferred knife manufacturer.

The truth is that I don't dwell on things. Only a little time needs to pass before I forget most things about the purchase itself. At that point it is just me and the knife and in this case it is a mighty fine knife. Yes, yes it is!

The world is an ugly and unfair place and it is filled with genuine travesties. I try to save all of my angst for things like that.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

TT,

Good to see you've climbed down from your Saguaro and tested the waters for yourself!!!!

Enjoy the reward!!!

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
blues

Post by blues »

cycleguy wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:34 am
TT,

Good to see you've climbed down from your Saguaro and tested the waters for yourself!!!!

Enjoy the reward!!!

CG
You saying he's spineless?

:p
- Retired from the chase -
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:27 pm
aaronkb wrote:
I’m 100% certain they will once I get around to sending the knife in... but I don’t think the end-user should have to deal with a manufacturer’s warranty department and a weeks-long turnaround time before they have the quality product they paid for in the first place. That’s what the retailer is for, because it really doesn’t hurt them to be short one knife for a few weeks while Spyderco deals with it.

No saltiness intended toward spyderco, it’s natural for a popular company’s warranty department to be busy and have a wait time and it’s also natural for faulty products to occasionally slip through the cracks. I just think that a retailer who cares about customers shouldn’t make that a customer’s problem.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Here we go again! Got my popcorn, just here for the comments lol
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
sok

Post by sok »

That is one fine knife Tom. Congratulations.