Dragonfly 2 vs Urban

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GarageBoy

Re: Dragonfly 2 vs Urban

Post by GarageBoy »

The dragonfly is slightly skinnier than the urban, and the blade is slightly shorter - yes it's not as hand filling, but it's fine for tasks you'll use the df2 for

The df2 offers more grip options than the pingo for me

The df2 carries smaller in the pocket
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

pantagana23 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:14 am
Let me revive this topic a bit.
I'm looking for an early Christmas gift from my wife :D

I do own a G10 DF2 and it does slide into the pocket, however, holding it for longer periods of time cramps my hand quite a bit.

Having a Pingo also, I see that it dissapears in the pocket, unlike DF2, which does stick out a bit.

Being in Europe (Croatia), where carrying knives gets you a redneck reputation, I like it when my folder slides in the back pocket, and looks like a pen.

So I tought that Urban in N690Co would be the logical answer for me; this was until I saw that VG-10 has twice the edge retention, so now I'm in a dillema: get another DF2 and cramp my fingers again, or have worse retention, but better grip control (bought a CS Tuff Lite a while ago, and this was a remarkable improvment for my hand after DF2).

Anyway, K390 is ruled out for me when looking at at Urban because I live by the sea, and unfortunately, AEB-L comes with the dirt color of handle, so it's down to N690Co.

What's your verdict?
I'm specifically interested in retention of N690? Is it that bad?
Try a Lil Native. The backlock version is amazing. It is a little heavier than the Urban, which I also like, but not much heavier.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

pantagana23 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:14 am
Let me revive this topic a bit.
I'm looking for an early Christmas gift from my wife :D

I do own a G10 DF2 and it does slide into the pocket, however, holding it for longer periods of time cramps my hand quite a bit.

Having a Pingo also, I see that it dissapears in the pocket, unlike DF2, which does stick out a bit.

Being in Europe (Croatia), where carrying knives gets you a redneck reputation, I like it when my folder slides in the back pocket, and looks like a pen.

So I tought that Urban in N690Co would be the logical answer for me; this was until I saw that VG-10 has twice the edge retention, so now I'm in a dillema: get another DF2 and cramp my fingers again, or have worse retention, but better grip control (bought a CS Tuff Lite a while ago, and this was a remarkable improvment for my hand after DF2).

Anyway, K390 is ruled out for me when looking at at Urban because I live by the sea, and unfortunately, AEB-L comes with the dirt color of handle, so it's down to N690Co.

What's your verdict?
I'm specifically interested in retention of N690? Is it that bad?

On N690 (btw. an Austrian, my homecountry, product :) ): I have a fixed blade in this steel (Enzo Trapper ffg): I´d say it holds an edge at least as good as any VG10 knife I own
On your choice: Maybe also consider the Chaparral. Just slightly larger than the Urban, rides a bit higher in the pocket admittedly, but I think still lower than a DFly.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:45 am

Try a Lil Native. The backlock version is amazing. It is a little heavier than the Urban, which I also like, but not much heavier.
I do like the Lil Native backlock (lefty here, so no comp lock for me), but it has been killed with the clip - it will still be out of pocket for at least half inch.
It's also quite thick (been carrying Native 5 frn, but it's just too wide, and in combination with square edges, it's a pocket killer).
Let's just say that Urban has been carefully selected :D
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:55 am

On N690 (btw. an Austrian, my homecountry, product :) ): I have a fixed blade in this steel (Enzo Trapper ffg): I´d say it holds an edge at least as good as any VG10 knife I own
On your choice: Maybe also consider the Chaparral. Just slightly larger than the Urban, rides a bit higher in the pocket admittedly, but I think still lower than a DFly.
Chaparral is no doubt a great product, and would choose it already, but just can't swallow that "horn" at the end of the blade. I really tried to convince myself, but as you already know, we choose our knives here with 90-100% heart, so that one is a pass for me.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

pantagana23 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:57 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:55 am

Chaparral is no doubt a great product, and would choose it already, but just can't swallow that "horn" at the end of the blade. I really tried to convince myself, but as you already know, we choose our knives here with 90-100% heart, so that one is a pass for me.
Sure! (Though I´d say it´s "just" around 50 % "heart", and 50 % practical aspects that each of us came to like or not in the course of our respective "knife journeys" :) )

But just out of couriousity: I am not sure what you mean by "horn at the end of the blade"? Looking at my Chap it has a more or less classic leaf shape blade and is in that rather similar to the Urban?

EDIT: Or did you mean "horn" at the end of the handle (and not the blade, as you wrote)?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:21 am

Sure! (Though I´d say it´s "just" around 50 % "heart", and 50 % practical aspects that each of us came to like or not in the course of our respective "knife journeys" :) )

But just out of couriousity: I am not sure what you mean by "horn at the end of the blade"? Looking at my Chap it has a more or less classic leaf shape blade and is in that rather similar to the Urban?

EDIT: Or did you mean "horn" at the end of the handle (and not the blade, as you wrote)?
This

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

pantagana23 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:30 am
Wartstein wrote:

This

Don´t want to sell you on the Chap by any means (though I think it´s great), I am just courious: As far as I can see the Urban (see pic) has about the same kind of "horn" ? (Which would be easy to grind away btw.)

koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Urban, df doesn't fit my hand well though
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:38 am
pantagana23 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

This

Don´t want to sell you on the Chap by any means (though I think it´s great), I am just courious: As far as I can see the Urban (see pic) has about the same kind of "horn" ? (Which would be easy to grind away btw.)

I don't know about the chap, but this nub determines the blade stop when closed on the urban. Grinding it down will result in the blade sitting lower when closed. Grind it far enough and the blade edge will contact the back spring.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

jpm2 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:59 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:38 am
pantagana23 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

I don't know about the chap, but this nub determines the blade stop when closed on the urban. Grinding it down will result in the blade sitting lower when closed. Grind it far enough and the blade edge will contact the back spring.
You are generally right and certainly concerning the Urban, thank you for correcting me!
But I was referring to the the Chap which features an internal stop pin, I don´t think the "nub" is mandatory here - ?!
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

One question for the recent owners of Urban: does the blade have a half stop (like Pingo)? I remember some videos I was watching previously mentioning that the mid stop is at 90% closed, some at 50% closed. I can only assume that the mid stop position was changed from 90 to 50% in later production.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

pantagana23 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:15 pm
One question for the recent owners of Urban: does the blade have a half stop (like Pingo)? I remember some videos I was watching previously mentioning that the mid stop is at 90% closed, some at 50% closed. I can only assume that the mid stop position was changed from 90 to 50% in later production.
90% closed doesn't sound right at all
Are you sure they weren't referring to 90 degrees, which would be the same as 50% ?

Both my urbans stop at 90 degrees.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

pantagana23 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:15 pm

They blew it with the first batch of N690Co Urbans but now the problem is solved. Perfect half stop at 90 degrees. Go buy an Urban and don't look back.I own 7 Urbans in different steels and I'm a happy camper.The best folding pocket spydie with a < 2.5 inch blade.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Started with the DF2, but now prefer the Urban (in spite of a flawed choice of pivot screws). Apart from its better fit in my hand, I like slippies as an option.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:12 pm
Started with the DF2, but now prefer the Urban (in spite of a flawed choice of pivot screws). Apart from its better fit in my hand, I like slippies as an option.
Please do elaborate on the pivot screw.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

elena86 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:05 pm
They blew it with the first batch of N690Co Urbans but now the problem is solved. Perfect half stop at 90 degrees. Go buy an Urban and don't look back.I own 7 Urbans in different steels and I'm a happy camper.The best folding pocket spydie with a < 2.5 inch blade.
As I'm buying from White Mountain Knives over Bay (best choice when buying from Europe), hoping they have the newer batch :confused:
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

pantagana23 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:34 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:12 pm
Please do elaborate on the pivot screw.
You may discover, as others here have, myself included, the delights of the spinning pivot.

This phenomenon arises when trying to correct horizontal blade-play.

There is no sweet spot for this correction. Overtightening can occur and lead inadvertently to deformation of the D-shaped pivot hole in the FRN. This shape is meant to keep the pivot screw’s D-shaped post from spinning.

Because the pivot screw has a screw head on only one side, it’s next to impossible to back the screw out when the FRN has been deformed.

A two-headed sex-screw would provide an easier return from overtightening and eliminate the need to rely on deformable FRN to keep the pivot from spinning.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I’ve got a few dragonflys, love those little guys.

I’ve wanted an urban for a while now but just haven’t bought one :confused:
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

pantagana23 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

This

That “horn” is called the kick. It keeps the blade from contacting the lock bar or back spacer.

I really love the Urban. I have two. It’s my favorite non locking pocket knife. I don’t bother with clips on small knives. I just drop my knives into my pocket. The reason I suggested the Lil Native is because it is hand filling enough to be comfortable and in control if using the knife hard.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050