Smile, It's a Delica

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Smile, It's a Delica

Post by Wartstein »

thewoodpecker wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:55 am
Would love to see a K390 Wharncliffe Delica. Reaching for the stars: CQI Delica with 50/50 choil.
Sorry, but I have to be honest: Imho a 50:50 choil Delica would ruin a lot of its greatness.

What sets the Delica apart from most other Spydies in its sizerange (Para 3, Sage, Native 5, even Chaparral) IS exactly that there is NO choil. That's exactly why the handle offers a lot of grip area even for bigger hands, while placing your hand rather close to the edge.

And the Ricasso of the Delica, additionally to let the hand be closer to the edge in a regular grip, imho is better than a choil also cause one can perfectly choke up on it, but it does not tend to hang up on stuff like a choil can sometimes...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:05 am
thewoodpecker wrote:
Would love to see a K390 Wharncliffe Delica. Reaching for the stars: CQI Delica with 50/50 choil.

Sorry, but I have to be honest: Imho a 50:50 choil Delica would ruin a lot of its greatness.

What sets the Delica apart from most other Spydies in its sizerange (Para 3, Sage, Native 5, even Chaparral) IS exactly that there is NO choil. That's exactly why the handle offers a lot of grip area even for bigger hands, while placing your hand rather close to the edge.

And the Ricasso of the Delica, additionally to let the hand be closer to the edge in a regular grip, imho is better than a choil also cause one can perfectly choke up on it, but it does not tend to hang up on stuff like a choil can sometimes...
Agree to disagree. I use my Caly 3.5 and Urban for 95% of all non-kitchen cutting tasks. Ergos are spot on for both and I've never had the choil hangup on anything while cutting, probably because my finger is on the choil. The Kapara has the perfect choil execution (right under the pivot) so that you get a functional choil while maintaining the full blade/edge length. I'd be down for a smaller ricasso and more edge or the same amount of edge with the ricasso replaced by a functional choil. Just my .02¢ though.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

P.S. The Chokwe is also a great example of choil execution. I also prefer when a lock back is made so that the tang is covered in the closed position. (See below)
SP1.jpg
SP2.jpg
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

thewoodpecker wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:11 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:05 am
thewoodpecker wrote:

Agree to disagree. I use my Caly 3.5 and Urban for 95% of all non-kitchen cutting tasks. Ergos are spot on for both and I've never had the choil hangup on anything while cutting, probably because my finger is on the choil. The Kapara has the perfect choil execution (right under the pivot) so that you get a functional choil while maintaining the full blade/edge length. I'd be down for a smaller ricasso and more edge or the same amount of edge with the ricasso replaced by a functional choil. Just my .02¢ though.
Thanks for your reply and the disussion!

You´re right, "choil hangig up on stuff" is not an real issue, it just can happen occasionally when cutting cardboard for example (and would not happen with a "Ricasso").

Still, there are so (too?) many Spydercos with a 50/50 choil out there, just in the Delica size range Para 3, Sage, Native, Chaparral... so I think the Delica should remain as it is and a "no-choil-alternative". (given that you can choke up on that Ricasso perfectly anyway (it WORKS like a "functional choil" indeed) PLUS your hand is closer to the edge if you don´t choke up, than it would if there was a choil)

And especially in THAT size range a choil makes little sense imho, at least for my particular hand size (Lto XL). The overall length of for example the Para 3 handle would offer enough space for a good four finger grip, but because it (the handle itself ( FRN or G10 part)) is shortened due to the 50/50 choil it does NOT and I actually HAVE to choke up on the choil for a good grip. And that disadvantge comes even with a second one: Loss of actual cutting edge...
You mention the Urban and the Caly 3.5: Both are models, where a choil (other than it is with Native, Para 3 or would be with the Delica) does make a lot more sense:
The Urban is so small, that the handle would not offer enough space for a good four finger grip anyway, regardless how it would be shaped, so a choil is almost mandatory (a bit like on the DFly) and not only a slipjoint-safety-feature
The Caly 3.5 on the other hand has a handle that is long enough to accomodate a 50/50 choil but still offer a good four finger grip on the actual handle behind the choil

/ Concerning your wish for more edge on the Delica,I may quote myself from an earlier post ;):
"A "maximum edge length edition" of the Delica: If the blade was lengthened to fill all of the available space in the handle when closed, and if it had no Ricasso but edge instead all the way back to the handle (like the Centofante), you´d end up with an actual cutting edge of 8.3 cm (about 3.3 ") in the compact Delica handle (so more edge than a PM2, Endela or even Stretch ONE). I´d like such a model a lot"
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Always down for some friendly debate regarding the merits and drawbacks of specific design elements. It is interesting that you believe that the length of the handle of the Caly 3.5 better accommodates a choil than that of the Delica when the added length is only 0.06". I still believe the Delica is a great design. I guess maybe I should hold out hope for a Wharncliffe Caly 3.5 LW and let the venerable Delica alone. :D
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

thewoodpecker wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:20 pm
Always down for some friendly debate regarding the merits and drawbacks of specific design elements. It is interesting that you believe that the length of the handle of the Caly 3.5 better accommodates a choil than that of the Delica when the added length is only 0.06". I still believe the Delica is a great design. I guess maybe I should hold out hope for a Wharncliffe Caly 3.5 LW and let the venerable Delica alone. :D
Well, you´re absolutely right on this, my mistake! I just assumed the Caly 3.5 handle had to be longer than the Delicas, judging from the much longer blade and was wrong to do so.
But concerning knives I actually handled and know in the Delica size range (like Native 5 for example) and concerning my personal likings and my handsize, it still is true that I don´t like choils on those. Just on even smaller knives (Chaparral and smaller) and bigger (Stretch and bigger).
Or, to put it differently, if the overall size of a handle WOULD offer space for a good four finger grip, but does actually NOT cause the grip area on the handle gets too short due to a 50/50 choil, I don´t like that.
If the handle is big enough to offer a good four finger grip behind a 50/50 choil I am ok with that.
If the handle is so short that a choil is mandatory for a good four finger grip (DFly, Chap for me) I actually really like a choil.

The Delica handle has a overall length where I personally definitely would NOT want a choil...
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I thought this thread was going to be about a yellow FRN Delica with these all over it .... :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
redhawk44357

Post by redhawk44357 »

Hobnob wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:38 pm
When I clip a Delica in my left front pocket everyday it puts a smile on my face. Needless to say, it is my favorite Spyderco. Me and the Delica go back to around 1994-95. My first one had the FRN integral clip. Unfortunately I no longer have that one. Many have been added since.

I do have various other models; Para 2,3, Native, Manix, Dragonfly, etc. To me it is the perfect EDC. On occasion I will carry a Pac Salt.

The Delica has features that I just like better than the others:

- handle size fits my XL hand
- backlock (I'm a lefty)
- blade length, thickness
FRN scales (My preference) multiple colors
- sturdy pocket clip with a cute spider on it
- great selection of blade steels, I can use a different steel 8 days a week: ATS-55, VG-10, ZDP-189. V-Toku2, Hap40, S30V, M390, Cruwear

Spyderco has really upped the game with these premium steels. I hope it continues with the Delica. K390 please.
Also my first spyderco, and I still have it.
araneae

Post by araneae »

95% of the general users out there could get their knife needs met by a Delica. It's a great knife.

The choil idea comes up several times a year, bottom line, a Delica isn't a Delica if it's got a choil. They'd be crazy to try that, and I like choils.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I only like a choil on a few knives such as the military and the urban lightweight. The Delica I like specifically because it has a finger guard instead of a choil.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:00 am
I only like a choil on a few knives such as the military and the urban lightweight. The Delica I like specifically because it has a finger guard instead of a choil.
Looks like we feel the same on that.If a choil at all, then on really small or rather large folders, right?
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:02 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Looks like we feel the same on that.If a choil at all, then on really small or rather large folders, right?
Those are my thoughts on the matter
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

prndltech wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:20 am
Wartstein wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Those are my thoughts on the matter
I agree.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Right
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Hobnob

Post by Hobnob »

I'm glad to see others feel the same way regarding the Delica. As I said earlier, I own quite a few different models, but for me the Delica hits the sweet spot. Probably the 2 key features are the size and weight (FRN). There is another model that I carry frequently.

Imagine if a Pac Salt and an Endura had 2 babies. One of the babies turned out to be the Delica, and the other came out as the Salt 2. Yes, when I feel like toting Sharks teeth I take the Salt 2. Very light weight. Sure hope we see the K390 soon.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:02 am
Wartstein wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Right
One of the main reason I got rid of my Native and a Chap instead.
The Natives overall handlelength absolutely would offer enough space for a a four finger grip for my handsize if it had no choil. A "choil-less" Native LW with consequently also longer edge would be an instant buy for me (but of course not be a true Native anymore... ;) )
The Chap overall handlelength would NOT offer that space, and so I love the choil on the Chap.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I always go back to Delica.It's the (almost)perfect edc knife.For me a full cutting edge like on the Polestar it will make it absolutely perfect.Otherwise,i love everything on it:the clip,the lock,the tip,and most of all the fact it has no 50/50 choil.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:31 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:02 am
Wartstein wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Right
One of the main reason I got rid of my Native and a Chap instead.
The Natives overall handlelength absolutely would offer enough space for a a four finger grip for my handsize if it had no choil. A "choil-less" Native LW with consequently also longer edge would be an instant buy for me (but of course not be a true Native anymore... ;) )
The Chap overall handlelength would NOT offer that space, and so I love the choil on the Chap.
I have an N5 LW that someone gave me. I like it but don’t love it. I feel the same way...get rid of the choil and give more handle as a result.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Delica_Nut

Post by Delica_Nut »

Approved.
Hobnob

Post by Hobnob »

This Delica habit is getting pricey. Another one should be here tomorrow. My first combo-edge in black. Just when I thought I was done for 2019, Knifeworks announced the Delica with S90V. You know I can't pass on this one. That's it for 2019 I hope.

Thank you Spyderco upping the Delica choices. Seems the last few years the Para's were getting all the attention.