Straight Spine Stretch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Post by Wartstein »

Ordered mine from a small, but I am rather sure reputable dealer on ebay ("kershawspydercoknives") for the same price bhq, kc and so on charge
They have ONE (!) left!

In my case, since it is an US dealer, of course it will be more like 130 USD (cause of shipping and tariffs) and it´ll be a month till I actually have the knife in hands... :o
Looking forward to it, and it should arrive around christmas, will be a nice present to myself ;)
Last edited by Wartstein on Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

First vid about that model I could find: https://youtu.be/lLYnPihtDng (short comparison to the "regular" Stretch 2 at 1:30, to the PM2 at 2:15, to those two plus Endura at about 7:45)

Though I actually do prefer the original blade shape( and the Stretch 1 anyway), this thing just looks cool and immidiately makes me want to grab and use it.. (well, that´s why I ordered one from the US... :o )
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:04 pm
cycleguy wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:02 pm
Still available minus 1

CG
Ditto just scored mine thanks for the tip lodestar.
Huzzah, the Spyder Gods shine upon thee!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

One (very minor) disappointment for me personally:
I would have hoped, the straight spine version would have featured the longer blade of the G10 /ZDP "regular" Stretch (3.57"), but in fact it has the same bladelength as the FRN Stretch 2s (3.43").

Not a dealbreaker at all though, and I understand that it probably makes sense to stay well below 3.5 " due to silly restrictions in certain areas.
crow2071

Post by crow2071 »

:D New Graham Knives has it in stock. Just ordered one.
DTPrime

Post by DTPrime »

crow2071 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:15 pm
:D New Graham Knives has it in stock. Just ordered one.
Didn’t last long :(
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

Love the ivory frn, but curious what the appeal is of the straight spine? Does the extra height let them get a grind that's thinner bte? Or is it just the pointier tip?
~andrew
crow2071

Post by crow2071 »

It's practically a frn pm2.
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

Man I would absolutely love if they made this a different color, and it had ZDP189 or k390.....and was regular production.

I’d literally buy 5 of them.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

toocool006 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:10 pm
Love the ivory frn, but curious what the appeal is of the straight spine?

Either you like it or you don’t.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

crow2071 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:39 pm
It's practically a frn pm2.
A backlock-FRN-thinner bladestock- being lighter -offering more grip area- wider choil- PM 2...:)

Plus: It has a different "edge line" (PM 2: Continous curve / Stretch: Long straight section).

Just for me personally it's the "better PM2" ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

toocool006 wrote:
Love the ivory frn, but curious what the appeal is of the straight spine? Does the extra height let them get a grind that's thinner bte? Or is it just the pointier tip?
I think the pointier but in return a bit more fragile tip is about the only thing that will make a real difference in use.

I personally prefer the original blade shape (but still ordered s straight spine Stretch), the inward curve of the spine offers a great place to put your thumb on an "push back" against the Spine.

I think and hope the more conventional and for many probably more appealing look of the straight spine will make more people actually get a Stretch in hands.
As far as I know, this model never sold as well as it should imho, but seemingly most people who actually handle one love the ergos and probably keep or want a Stretch (just what I read and heard of course).
So I guess offering this new blade shape is more like a way of getting more people to actually try the very refined and comfortable Stretch handle and ergos. Very smart from Spyderco imho, since the handle and the molds for it already exist, and to put the usual blade, just with a straight spine in it, should not have been too difficult.

What I personally do NOT hope: That the straight spine version will NOT replace the original shaped version eventually.. (though froma solely selfish point of view I would not have to care: I have three of my favorite Stretch variant (the Stretch 1), should last me a life time... ;) )
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

toocool006 wrote:

Can't speak for anyone else, but to me it's a combination of the pointer tip and the different look it gives the knife. There's also the hope that new look will convince more people to try the Stretch because, over the 15 years since its introduction, the single most common reason folks have given for not buying a Stretch has been the blade shape.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Jazz wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:40 pm
toocool006 wrote:

Until I use mine I will leave it undecided, like Warts I wish they would have made the blade longer like the originals.

The hump never bothered me a bit in the older models sure it is not the prettiest but I don’t need pretty to cut.

As for buying this model when I already have many Spydie that do cut there were several motivations.

#1 I wanted to support Sal’s love of this design, saying thanks with dollars counts more than just words with any business. From what I have read the stretch has not been the best seller and Sal has had to fight to keep it alive as a product and and a pet project. This sprint run is him giving to us stretch lovers and a practical business decision to test the waters for future production.

#2. I always felt the stretch design has never got the credit or traction with the buyers it should have and do not believe even with this straight back it has reached its final evolution.

3. I hope that this purchase will lead to more development of the Stretch and the return to longer blades in its next incarnation.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

"kershawspydercoknives" on ebay has ONE in stock again (seems to be a reputable dealer).
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:27 am
Jazz wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:40 pm
toocool006 wrote:

3. I hope that this purchase will lead to more development of the Stretch and the return to longer blades in its next incarnation.
THIS please!! The current Stretch blade is 3,48", but the handle would offer space for I guess a 3.8" blade... the 3.19 " of actual cutting edge the Stretch 1 (one) offered would be great to have again (current Stretch 2 (two): 3.01 ")

EDIT: On the other hand I am aware of silly restrictions in certain areas, and so I get the approach of staying under 3.5"...
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:48 am

THIS please!! The current Stretch blade is 3,48", but the handle would offer space for I guess a 3.8" blade... the 3.19 " of actual cutting edge the Stretch 1 (one) offered would be great to have again (current Stretch 2 (two): 3.01 ")

EDIT: On the other hand I am aware of silly restrictions in certain areas, and so I get the approach of staying under 3.5"...
3.8 inch blade?! Now we are talking :cool:
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:52 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:48 am

3.8 inch blade?! Now we are talking :cool:
Perhaps a too optimistic guess... :o (don't have a Stretch 2 anymore to check, just several "1"s)
But I almost guarantee 3.7! ;)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Even 3.7 is better then 3.5 or whatever is right now on Stretch. Remember, longer is always better :D
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45