Ikuchi

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rivy

Re: Ikuchi

Post by rivy »

Also been waiting on an Ikuchi and glad to hear about the CQI changes. Didn't the flipper area have a hard corner or something that would also sometimes catch people? Hopefully that's fixed as well.
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

Halfneck wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:17 pm
Do we know that the Ikuchi showing up have these new CQI changes?
Stock at the larger dealers should all be the CQI version at this date.

I have a few CQI Ikuchis inbound from Spyderco, and will post some impressions on improvements once I get a chance to fiddle with them.

- Paul
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Anyone else have issues with flipping these open? I decided to try one, and it arrived today. The blade drops shut, so the pivot seems to be dialed in correctly, but I find it very difficult to flip open. I actually have given myself a blister on the pad of my pointer finger from the jimping on the flipper. I love the design, so I hate to part with this one if there's an easy fix - any tips for adjusting, or for a better technique to using the flipper "wheel"? Finger repositioning, etc?

Edit: nevermind, I think I've got the trick of it now. Just have to position your finger higher - almost on top of the flipper. The jimping still feels a bit ouchy for my taste, though. I wonder if grinding that down a bit might help, or if that'd make it harder to deploy again. Will have to keep playing...once my finger heals. ;)
Last edited by JuPaul on Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:42 pm
Anyone else have issues with flipping these open? I decided to try one, and it arrived today. The blade drops shut, so the pivot seems to be dialed in correctly, but I find it very difficult to flip open. I actually have given myself a blister on the pad of my pointer finger from the jimping on the flipper. I love the design, so I hate to part with this one if there's an easy fix - any tips for adjusting, or for a better technique to using the flipper "wheel"? Finger repositioning, etc?
Would you mind showing us a picture of the flipper wheel?

How is the tip of the blade is it recessed enough not to catch the tip of your finger.

Thanks
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

JuPaul wrote:
Try flipping with your thumb, like you would a bic lighter. Sounds counterintuitive at first, but it works quite well for me. I have a much tougher time flipping mine open using my index finger.

I have the pre-CQI model and find the action on mine to be excellent.. I find the blade shape to be quite useful and the knife is very ergonomic for its seemingly odd handle shape and bizarre opening method.. Definitely took some getting used to though. I think once you get the hang of it, you will really like it! :)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:49 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Would you mind showing us a picture of the flipper wheel?

How is the tip of the blade is it recessed enough not to catch the tip of your finger.

Thanks
Here's the wheel. If I really push my finger into the scales, I can still catch the blade tip. But just running my finger along the scales, even with a little pressure, it does not catch the blade tip.

Btw, I edited my post above...think I've got the flip down now. I'll have to try the bic lighter flip, too.
Attachments
20191122_160457_compress37.jpg
20191122_160449_compress66.jpg
- Julia

SG89

Post by SG89 »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:10 pm
Btw, I edited my post above...think I've got the flip down now. I'll have to try the bic lighter flip, too.
When I had an Ikuchi I liked the bic lighter flip and flipping it by releasing the lock tab and flicking my wrist.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Is yours pre or post CQI?
Spydergirl88
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:18 pm
Post CQI. It's from the most recent batch at DLT. Has the PB washers and drops shut. Now thst I've got the trick of the flip, I think I'm really going to enjoy this one.
- Julia

anycal

Post by anycal »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:26 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Post CQI. It's from the most recent batch at DLT. Has the PB washers and drops shut. Now thst I've got the trick of the flip, I think I'm really going to enjoy this one.

Pre-CQI had PB washers, and mine dropped shut. The only way to know (other than marking on box, which I am not sure if there is a difference) is if it has a pivot bushing. Pre-CQI did not; new one is supposed to have it.
Peter
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

anycal wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:37 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:26 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:

Pre-CQI had PB washers, and mine dropped shut. The only way to know (other than marking on box, which I am not sure if there is a difference) is if it has a pivot bushing. Pre-CQI did not; new one is supposed to have it.
Oh gotcha, was confused about that. Date stamp is KS.
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Yes, mine has a pivot bushing.
Attachments
20191122_170550_compress54.jpg
- Julia

anycal

Post by anycal »

Love it! Taking a brand new knife apart, whether to learn, examine, fine tune, mod, all good.

👍🏻
Peter
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

anycal wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:36 pm
Love it! Taking a brand new knife apart, whether to learn, examine, fine tune, mod, all good.

👍🏻
Ha! Well you got me curious about that bushing! :p
- Julia

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:30 pm
anycal wrote:

👍🏻
Haha, that was me when I first got my Smock on the first release. Had to figure out what was going on in there!! Amazes me when people are scared to take their knives apart, especially when they make actually need to do so.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:59 pm
JuPaul wrote:
anycal wrote:

👍🏻
Haha, that was me when I first got my Smock on the first release. Had to figure out what was going on in there!! Amazes me when people are scared to take their knives apart, especially when they make actually need to do so.
Agree the smock is a neat knife to take apart! I'll admit, though, I still have yet to take apart a delica, even though I have like 6 of them. I've just heard it's such a pain...
- Julia

SG89

Post by SG89 »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:50 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:59 pm
JuPaul wrote:
anycal wrote:

👍🏻
Agree the smock is a neat knife to take apart! I'll admit, though, I still have yet to take apart a delica, even though I have like 6 of them. I've just heard it's such a pain...
It is... Just when you almost have it lined up... Nope not good enough the pin won't drop in. Anytime I disassemble a Delica or other backlock Seki spydie I cuss so much, although it has gotten easier over time.. But not as much as the dreaded red loctite era gray g10 cruwear pm2... That was not fun
Spydergirl88
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:24 pm
Thank you so much, really appreciate the effort you put into this thread.

Thank you.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Dazen wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:03 pm
Saw that they are in at the SFO as well. I would buy one if it wasn’t for the CF/G10 scales, this beauty needs smooth CF scales!
Well...I gave in and have one on the way. Does anyone know if the scales are the same for the CQI model? I say this because if they recessed the tip does that not move the Spydie-hole slightly as well thus moving the hole in the scale?
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:11 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:24 pm
Thank you so much, really appreciate the effort you put into this thread.

Thank you.
No problem! It was fun, and I was curious, too. :D
- Julia