Going against the grain

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
geronm042

Re: Going against the grain

Post by geronm042 »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:11 am
geronm042 wrote: I hate the gritty, almost « please stop i’m dying at the next opening » action of native 5 salt and think a fake one would probably do better in that area :-P but still carry it a lot...
Just for the record my native 5 salt has broken in really well. Its about where my other native 5s are at. But it was pretty bad out of the box. Now its fine.
Probably but still something went terribly wrong as part of the saltification process which is not really acceptable. But I said I like it and grease is helping currently until it breaks in eventually...

I love the native. A Caribbean-like one would be crazy cool and feel so much more «  high end » :D
vivi

Post by vivi »

- I've actually carried and used a Szabo folder enough to need to sharpen it multiple times.

- I don't use the kick or choil when closing lockbacks one handed.

- I don't buy liner locks, frame locks or compression locks (Szabo is an exception - it has a self close mechanism).

- I don't carry folding Spydercos smaller than a Pacific Salt.

- I carry Spyderco fixed blades more often than their folders some weeks.

- I never mirror polish bevels.

- I prioritize corrosion resistance over edge holding.

- I want to see the self close compression lock from the szabo refined and implemented on more models.

- I think the ratio of carbon steel folders vs fixed blades from Spyderco is backwards.
:unicorn
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

geronm042 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:40 pm
VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:11 am
geronm042 wrote: I hate the gritty, almost « please stop i’m dying at the next opening » action of native 5 salt and think a fake one would probably do better in that area :-P but still carry it a lot...
Just for the record my native 5 salt has broken in really well. Its about where my other native 5s are at. But it was pretty bad out of the box. Now its fine.
Probably but still something went terribly wrong as part of the saltification process which is not really acceptable. But I said I like it and grease is helping currently until it breaks in eventually...

I love the native. A Caribbean-like one would be crazy cool and feel so much more «  high end » :D
The native salt was my last effort in getting comfortable with it. I like the idea and love the design but I just can’t warm up to it... just don’t work for my hands. But I will say every version I tried including the salt was SMOOTH. Maybe you got a bad example... it’s a production knife thing. Put a lil lube on it and use it, I’d be surprised if it doesn’t smooth out.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:29 pm

- I think the ratio of carbon steel folders vs fixed blades from Spyderco is backwards.
I completely agree.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I love the liner lock
I prefer a spyderedge over a plain edge in any given situation
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

I just cannot warm up to FRN or LW models, regardless of color or if they glow in the dark.
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

ronT2 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:48 am
I just cannot warm up to FRN or LW models, regardless of color or if they glow in the dark.
+1,000,000
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I like bento box exclusives.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

jpm2 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:44 am
I like bento box exclusives.
(gasp) Thoughtcriminal! Go back to Russia, where you belong!

Btw, jk
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

This is not all negative. Some likes and dislikes.

I like Memorabilia just as much as the knives.

I don't like compression locks but like liners locks as my favourite.

I bought some of the made in Taichung knives but just can't fall in love with them the same. I still use them but the pleasure just isn't quite there.

I love the classics. Golden oldies, and the made in Japan early models. Some of these new ones are just Meh!

Tip up, tip down I don't care. I can carry or open either with no issues, left or right hand.
vivi

Post by vivi »

ronT2 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:48 am
Ten years ago I would have agreed with you, couldn't understand why someone would choose FRN over G10.

These days I have my FRN Police on me and the G10 sits in my backups drawer.

The G10 one does feels like the nicer knife.
:unicorn
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Unpopular opinion?
Well now...
Finger choil is redundant on all but 3/3 and a half finger handles.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I can mostly agree with what the OP just said. And I'll be up front>> I've been an avid fan of the C-36 Millie and Para2 for a long time now. But I've not been able to like any of the PARA3 variants. First off the blade is just too short for most of what I do with a pocket knife.

Also I've never been hung up on the "weight" issue. And I know that probably makes me unpopular with a lot of the residents of Spyderville but it's just not an issue with me. I've never liked the lightweight version of the STREETBEAT and most of the other lightweight models I can take or leave.

I kind of grew up on BUCK model 110 folders and several of Ka-Bar's folders and none of them were light.