5G? What's The Deal?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

5G? What's The Deal?

Post by JD Spydo »

First off just want to let you all know I'm not an electronics buff at all. I know enough to get by but knowing all the technical specs about electronic devices I'm in the dark so to speak. But in the past 5 months or so I've talked to several people about this upcoming implementation of the 5G network for phones and other devices about to go on line. I've viewed several videos on it and I've read several articles about it. Not knowing what the agenda really is I've taken it all as rumor.

There is one country and I believe it's over in Europe that already has 5G and now most of the people I'm told that live there want it eliminated. I've heard stuff like it will decimate the honey bee population as well as other problems it will potentially cause to the environment. I've also seen in one video that it will ramp up harmful radiation which in turn would make the RF radiation on phones and other devices considerably more dangerous to the end line user.

Again I'm no electronics expert and my knowledge of the potential dangers of radiation is no more than that of an average citizen. But some of these warnings I've been seeing and reading about are coming from people who seem to have an in depth knowledge on the subject. First off why do we even need it :confused: ? Second has there been any in depth studies as to what harmful effects it could cause? Third>> Don't we have all the high tech toys we need already???

Anyone who has any documented information on 5G I would be most interested in knowing the straight scoop on it. And why do we need something that has the potential of causing harm to humans and animals?
SF Native

Re: 5G? What's The Deal?

Post by SF Native »

Radiation my friend. When we went from 3g to 4g we gained 500 times faster data transmission. Going to 5g will be another 100 times faster.
But, the 5g signal is a high frequency, which doesn’t travel as fast and is not as reliable. This means that the system will be transmitting 5g signals as well as the 3g or 4g signals too. The network will also have additional mini towers.
For work I have been near cell towers and the towers on buildings usually have caution tape a distance away to warn people of the radiation. Birds and bees don’t react to caution tape and this level of radiation damages dna and causes cancer. I’m sure we will all love to watch tv on our phones but there is a cost. Hopefully, someone won’t turn into the hulk or Godzilla for us to realize the cost.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SF Native wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:19 pm
Radiation my friend. When we went from 3g to 4g we gained 500 times faster data transmission. Going to 5g will be another 100 times faster.
But, the 5g signal is a high frequency, which doesn’t travel as fast and is not as reliable. This means that the system will be transmitting 5g signals as well as the 3g or 4g signals too. The network will also have additional mini towers.
For work I have been near cell towers and the towers on buildings usually have caution tape a distance away to warn people of the radiation. Birds and bees don’t react to caution tape and this level of radiation damages dna and causes cancer. I’m sure we will all love to watch tv on our phones but there is a cost. Hopefully, someone won’t turn into the hulk or Godzilla for us to realize the cost.
That's interesting SF. When I made reference to honey bees being vulnerable I was basing that on what a Missouri Dept. of Conservation Agent told me. This guy is an entomologist ( science of insects). I didn't ask him where he got his degree but he was a state official so I tend to believe he's probably accurate. He told me that there is something in a honey bee's navigation system that is distorted and messed up by these cell phone towers and he also told me that 5G was even going to be worse on them. Here in Missouri I've talked to 3 beekeepers and they have told me that they are having problems that didn't exist back in the 90s when very few people even had cell phones>> due to their expense when they were first going.

But he went on to say that 5G was truly going to cause problems with people as well. He said that there was also something about the transmission that they believe messes with human eyesight. Like I said I've seen about 5 videos on the pros & cons of 5G and if I could vote on it I would vote NO. I think it was the country of Sweden that has already implemented this technology and they are already wanting to do away with it. I think is was NPR radio I heard that on. It was either them or BBC.

There has just got to be some price to pay for all of this electronic/radiation pollution. In the Mid West part of the USA were I live we have cancer rates that are outrageous. I'm not saying that cell phone or the transmission of signals plays a part in it>> but a lady friend of mine who is an Oncolgist nurse and she says that certain types of cancer are literally exploding in the past 3 to 5 years. In the past 10 years I've lost 4 really good friends to that insidious disease. I'm seriously thinking about going back to a land line and only using the cell phone out of pure necessity. I would love to know how to follow the money trail of the high tech, telecommunications industry. But for me an average person it just doesn't seem to pass the smell test. Something is not right>> I've never seen so many people flip out in public places as I have in the past 5 years or so. Again I have no way to prove that these cell phone technologies are responsible but many of these problems were almost non-existent here when we didn't have all of this high tech circus. And people are hooked on this cell phone technology as if they were on a high powered narcotic. I'm believing that we might be making a generation of zombies>> because already so many people just seem detached from reality. We don't need 5G >we've got enough of this already IMO.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Interesting. It appears that existing cell signals are around 1 to 6 GHz frequency. The 5g signal is much higher, up to 300 GHz. Maybe that difference is what harms the bees. I imagine that some exposure is fine, but with cell service, we blanket everything with these signals.
We are probably better off with more open WiFi networks or something.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I have done no research on 5G yet I've heard the following.

5G of course is a technology that includes hardware and software. 5G is supposed to be able to successfully implement quantum communications.

As I've said I don't know anything regarding 5G, but documents that cover it may be found on the IETF website. The IETF works with most communication technologies. Looks like 3GPP, 3rd Generation Partnership Project, is running the show...

Google "IETF 5G"
https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... CAg&uact=5

Google "3GPP 5G"
https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... sofgmGSW-E
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:08 pm
I have done no research on 5G yet I've heard the following.

5G of course is a technology that includes hardware and software. 5G is supposed to be able to successfully implement quantum communications.

As I've said I don't know anything regarding 5G, but documents that cover it may be found on the IETF website. The IETF works with most communication technologies. Looks like 3GPP, 3rd Generation Partnership Project, is running the show...

Google "IETF 5G"
https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... CAg&uact=5

Google "3GPP 5G"
https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... sofgmGSW-E
Hey thanks for sharing that with us Naperville :) Some of the better videos I watched on the subject were put out by a lady activist who has the website >> www.stopthecrime.net<<. Her name is Deborah Tavares and she has put together several experts and her 5G videos are quite enlightening.

There is a guy who is kind of a techno-geek>> he just goes by the name Mark and he has "Deep Thoughts Radio". He has his own website by the same name and has several videos on Youtube. And his YT video on 5G is very informative.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:30 pm
Hey thanks for sharing that with us Naperville :) Some of the better videos I watched on the subject were put out by a lady activist who has the website >> www.stopthecrime.net<<. Her name is Deborah Tavares and she has put together several experts and her 5G videos are quite enlightening.

There is a guy who is kind of a techno-geek>> he just goes by the name Mark and he has "Deep Thoughts Radio". He has his own website by the same name and has several videos on Youtube. And his YT video on 5G is very informative.
If it turns out to be dangerous, it will be pulled from the market immediately. I'm not too worried. It's not like I have some kind of overwhelming faith in mankind, but if the results are in and it is negative, lawyers would sue the pants off of the carriers.

I'd stick to the neutral media, and get a full picture of the technology. I'd stay away from anyone praising it or bashing it.

Let the chips fall where they may!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:56 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:30 pm

If it turns out to be dangerous, it will be pulled from the market immediately. I'm not too worried. It's not like I have some kind of overwhelming faith in mankind, but if the results are in and it is negative, lawyers would sue the pants off of the carriers.

I'd stick to the neutral media, and get a full picture of the technology. I'd stay away from anyone praising it or bashing it.

Let the chips fall where they may!
I appreciate and respect your response on that Naperville. But don't lose sight of the fact that the companies that make cell phones and associated hardware even tell you not to place the phone on your head. They say to have it at least 3/4ths of an inch away from your skin. With that being admitted by the very people who make them tells me that there is inherent danger in the RF radiation omitted by these technological marvels.

I will be the first to admit that there are people that over-react to certain news items. But don't overlook the fact that there are people with a lot of scientific knowledge that have been trying to sound the alarm of the potential danger of the upcoming 5G network.

I'm just trying to gather real facts. So far I haven't really heard any reason to convince me that we actually need this ramped up technology. With the telecommunications companies the bottom line is how much earnings per share their company makes. I highly doubt if any of these multi-billion dollar telecom companies care in the least bit about public health or potential dangers. I just want to know what the honest truth is and what we need to be aware of. Not all of the time>> but most of the time where you find smoke you will usually also find fire.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Hahahahahaha! No Sh*t! They know cell phones will give you a tumor if you wear it like a hat. Don't press it hard up against your head.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Lawyers are the lowest of the low and I have faith in them to go after anyone making a mistake anywhere in their business plan. If 5G causes cancer I expect billion dollar lawsuits.

I think 5G will be the end of the road for some time. If they can roll it out and it is not dangerous, I do not think we will see "6G" for a very long time. Very few of these technologies work as paid for. The coverage is not there and they simply do not work.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:50 am
First off just want to let you all know I'm not an electronics buff at all.
Just to let you know, I'm somewhat of an electronics expert. All the people that I've seen who are running around in circles flapping their hands in the air over 5G are not. I'm not wigging out about this, and I would suggest normal people do the same.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:11 pm
Hahahahahaha! No Sh*t! They know cell phones will give you a tumor if you wear it like a hat. Don't press it hard up against your head.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Lawyers are the lowest of the low and I have faith in them to go after anyone making a mistake anywhere in their business plan. If 5G causes cancer I expect billion dollar lawsuits.

I think 5G will be the end of the road for some time. If they can roll it out and it is not dangerous, I do not think we will see "6G" for a very long time. Very few of these technologies work as paid for. The coverage is not there and they simply do not work.
OK I get that ;) But now I have one key question? You make the point that lawyers are just itching for a big time lawsuit>> I won't disagree with that.
That's how they ride in those Mercedes and Jaguars and spend money like a drunken sailor. But in this case >> Who would they bring a lawsuit against?
Because here in Missouri you can't do lawsuits against the state except if the state Supreme Court gives you permission to. And I would guess that most of these cell towers either belong to the state or Federal Government.
Yeah I can see what you're saying but I just can't feature any lawsuits being brought about against a government infrastructure and/or utility.

But If I'm barking up the wrong tree then tell me where I got it wrong :confused: ?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:49 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:50 am
First off just want to let you all know I'm not an electronics buff at all.
Just to let you know, I'm somewhat of an electronics expert. All the people that I've seen who are running around in circles flapping their hands in the air over 5G are not. I'm not wigging out about this, and I would suggest normal people do the same.
The people who developed thalidomide weren't worried about side effects either, and look how that turned out.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:04 pm
The people who developed thalidomide weren't worried about side effects either, and look how that turned out.

That's quite a solid argument in support of your position...
if anyone could figure out whatever point you're trying to make.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

My point is : just because you are an electronics expert and you are not concerned about possible side effects from the new system does not mean that such side effects absolutely will not occur. The people who developed and marketed the drug Thalidomide were not concerned about possible side effects either, but that drug caused a lot of developmental/birth defects anyway.
James Y

Post by James Y »

We probably won’t know for sure until it’s been out for a while. Nevertheless, IMO it’s good to at least be mindful and concerned about it. That doesn’t mean the people who are concerned are necessarily wigging out about it.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:28 pm
My point is : just because you are an electronics expert and you are not concerned about possible side effects from the new system does not mean that such side effects absolutely will not occur. The people who developed and marketed the drug Thalidomide were not concerned about possible side effects either, but that drug caused a lot of developmental/birth defects anyway.
Those are excellent points Yablanowitz ;) The main thing that really gives me the creeps about this upcoming 5G is that there are many people sounding the alarm but yet there is no dialogue, no public debate and we the public are going to get it no matter what!! >> just bothers me from that standpoint alone :confused:

It just goes along with many other agendas that we the general public just don't get any input on.
James Y

Post by James Y »

If there are any questions about something, there should always be dialogue. And I don’t mean patronizing dialogue, but serious studies, preferably by third parties. I respect that someone can be an expert or an authority on a given subject, but that doesn’t mean that that person knows everything about that subject, or has all the answers.

For example, and to go slightly OT, I’ve had practical martial arts training and experience continuously for 43 years, with experience over the years in different systems, including both standing and grappling methods. Some people might consider me an expert, and while there is a good amount that I do know, there is a *helluva* lot about the subject that I don’t know; nor would I ever presume to know everything about the subject.

Similar can be said about doctors (who are supposed to be authorities) who prescribe (or over-prescribe) medications that they’ll tell you are perfectly safe if you follow the directions, but are really not that safe for every individual even when you do.

If enough people have potentially valid concerns about something, then IMO they deserve to have their input heard and taken seriously. Then make a *serious* attempt to prove or disprove that there is a problem or not, without confirmation bias either way. Better to err on the side of caution, I say.

Jim
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

What bugs me is the direction they are going. 300 GHz may sound cool if you don't know anything about signal propagation, but back when I learned about electromagnetic radiation the rule of thumb was "the higher the frequency the shorter the wavelength and the more likely the wave is to interact with matter and be absorbed". If you want to contact a submerged submarine, you have to use ULF (Ultra Low Frequency) to get a signal through the water. 900 MHz phones had better range and wall penetration than the 2.4 GHz units that replaced them. So now we're going up to 300 GHz so we'll have to flood the air with even more EM radiation, at higher power levels to get a signal through the building walls. At what point do those "harmless radio waves" become ionizing radiation?
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

The truth shall be revealed soon.

Those of you who are active in the discussion, stick with the subject matter and raise your voice should anything bad turn up.

Don't be quiet if things go South, get loud!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Naperville wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:03 am
The truth shall be revealed soon.

Those of you who are active in the discussion, stick with the subject matter and raise your voice should anything bad turn up.

Don't be quiet if things go South, get loud!
Good Points Naperville :) And let me make it known that the reason I started this thread is because I personally want to know more facts about this upcoming 5G technology. In no way do I want to stir up any bad blood are create any controversies. I just want open dialogue because I'm not getting much "UNBIASED" information about the upcoming 5G.

There's been several good points to consider thus far. My immediate concern from what I've personally gathered so far is >>WHY DO WE EVEN NEED IT??? If the only benefit is for it to be a cash cow for the already filthy rich telecom industries then I do have some concerns. Because being they seem to be the sole beneficiaries of this new technology then I think that the burden should be on them to prove it to be safe for the end line user.