Smile, It's a Delica

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hobnob

Smile, It's a Delica

Post by Hobnob »

When I clip a Delica in my left front pocket everyday it puts a smile on my face. Needless to say, it is my favorite Spyderco. Me and the Delica go back to around 1994-95. My first one had the FRN integral clip. Unfortunately I no longer have that one. Many have been added since.

I do have various other models; Para 2,3, Native, Manix, Dragonfly, etc. To me it is the perfect EDC. On occasion I will carry a Pac Salt.

The Delica has features that I just like better than the others:

- handle size fits my XL hand
- backlock (I'm a lefty)
- blade length, thickness
FRN scales (My preference) multiple colors
- sturdy pocket clip with a cute spider on it
- great selection of blade steels, I can use a different steel 8 days a week: ATS-55, VG-10, ZDP-189. V-Toku2, Hap40, S30V, M390, Cruwear

Spyderco has really upped the game with these premium steels. I hope it continues with the Delica. K390 please.
ZrowsN1s

Re: Smile, It's a Delica

Post by ZrowsN1s »

:D it's a knife which all others can be measured against.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

The hap40 is my favorite delica, the k390 version is probably going to take its place.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Love me some Delica, too! It wasn't my first spyderco, but it was definitely the first spyderco I really, really loved. My cruwear delica sees a lot of pocket time these days.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
tangent

Post by tangent »

Delica is my favorite too (Wharncliffe these days)...and the Pac Salt is number 2 (for my robust cutting tasks) :)
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

While lately I have swapping between a Chaparral LW and a Rhino, the Delica is my benchmark to judge folders by.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I have a delica 4 FFG that I red loctited every screw in and have intentionally beat the **** out of to see what I could take (without blatantly snapping the blade or something like that) and minus creating some “lock rock” or up and down play, it survived. So I placed it on top of my tool box where it had lived for 5+ years now with no maintenance given to it. It’s seen ever fluid related to the automotive industry and gets touched up with a smiths retractable diamond rod that was like $8. That’s the combo that lives on my toolbox, it gets used daily when my hands are grimy and nasty, that’s the one that gets picked up. The bidirectional texturing is full of grease and grime and it just keeps going. It sees passes on that diamond rod multiple times a week if not daily. I use that diamond rod like a steel in the kitchen.

Tl;dr I love me a delica
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

The Delica is a knife I’ve owned for almost a decade, but I’ve only recently began to appreciate. I don’t know why, and I’m a bit disappointed because there’s so many great sprints I’ve missed out on because of that.

Just a month ago I picked up my ZDP Delica and carried it. For some reason, that day it finally clicked and it became one of my favorite knives, period. And I own a ton of Spyderco knives.

It’s just an amazing cutter. It’s really all you need in terms of being tough and sturdy, but the blade profile is still thin. In terms of actual use and cutting, it’s hard to beat.

Since then I’ve added 3 delicas to my collection and plan to add more soon. I love the platform and I hope we see some awesome sprints soon.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It’s no secret that I love the Delica. It’s just a great knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Hobnob wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:38 pm

- backlock (I'm a lefty)
- great selection of blade steels, I can use a different steel 8 days a week: ATS-55, VG-10, ZDP-189. V-Toku2, Hap40, S30V, M390, Cruwear

Well, on all the features you like and listed above I feel the same, except blade length (too short for an universal EDC for my personal liking).

I generally rarely carry small folders, but amongst those the Delica was my favorite for years and still is my clear number two nowadays.

Backlock and FRN just for my personal (!) needs still is the best and no nonsense- combo anyway
Other than the Para 3 / Native 5 and so on small models, the actual Delica handle offers enough space even for my L to XL hands, places my hand rather close to the edge, while I can still choke up on the Ricasso as comfortable and safe as on a dedicated choil. I also like the ergos generally

The Delica is a slimmer package than the comparable sized Para 3, Native 5 and Sage, and despite having steel liners is still ligther than each of the lightweight versions of the three latter knives mentioned. It also has a thinner and slicier, but still strong enough blade.

Only thing I wished (and adcvoated in some threads) for: A "maximum edge length edition" of the Delica: If the blade was lengthened to fill all of the available space in the handle when closed, and if it had no Ricasso but edge instead (like the Centofante), you´d end up with an actual cutting edge of 8.3 cm (about 3.3 ") in the compact Delica handle (so more edge than a PM2, Endela or even Stretch ONE). I´d like such a model a lot.

So why is the Delica "just" my number two amongst the small folders? Well, cause I discovered the Chaparral FRN: Amazing slicer, tiny closed but still a good amount of edge, and the handle is so short overall, that the 50/50 choil for my handsize really makes sense (differently to the Native, Para 3... choil)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:05 am
Hobnob wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:38 pm

- backlock (I'm a lefty)

Well, on all the features you like and listed above I feel the same, except blade length (too short for an universal EDC for my personal liking).

I generally rarely carry small folders, but amongst those the Delica was my favorite for years and still is my clear number two nowadays.

Backlock and FRN just for my personal (!) needs still is the best and no nonsense- combo anyway
Other than the Para 3 / Native 5 and so on small models, the actual Delica handle offers enough space even for my L to XL hands, places my hand rather close to the edge, while I can still choke up on the Ricasso as comfortable and safe as on a dedicated choil. I also like the ergos generally

The Delica is a slimmer package than the comparable sized Para 3, Native 5 and Sage, and despite having steel liners is still ligther than each of the lightweight versions of the three latter knives mentioned. It also has a thinner and slicier, but still strong enough blade.

Only thing I wished (and adcvoated in some threads) for: A "maximum edge length edition" of the Delica: If the blade was lengthened to fill all of the available space in the handle when closed, and if it had no Ricasso but edge instead (like the Centofante), you´d end up with an actual cutting edge of 8.3 cm (about 3.3 ") in the compact Delica handle (so more edge than a PM2, Endela or even Stretch ONE). I´d like such a model a lot.

So why is the Delica "just" my number two amongst the small folders? Well, cause I discovered the Chaparral FRN: Amazing slicer, tiny closed but still a good amount of edge, and the handle is so short overall, that the 50/50 choil for my handsize really makes sense (differently to the Native, Para 3... choil)
I love my Chaparrals. I have two. It is a very thin and slicey knife. But I have three Delicas. The Delica fills my baseball mitts better and is a real good slicer. I would be hard pressed to choose between them, but if pressed I think the Delica might be better as an all around knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

The Delica was my first Spyderco. I tried many different brands and models but always came back to it.. now I carry a Salt 2, but I see it as a Salt Delica and not a different model.
Kyle8734

Post by Kyle8734 »

Got my first Delica not long back-the M390 version and love it. Yes I have bigger models-Pm2,Sage,Para 3, etc and i do love all of those but for whatever reasons the Delica just fits me and my needs perfect almost. I don't mind the frn-makes it super light, don't mind the backlock-Spyderco does them so well. It is just a great knife overall for me and I might end up grabbing another. Also was nice to see it test for 61.4 and 61.8 when I sent it out for Rockwell testing a while back.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Have a few. I seem to get one nearly every time I buy another knife for some reason :D ( Hate paying shipping for only 1 knife ;) )

Great knife for $$ and carry one most times as a grab and go as there is usually one lying around.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The highly-refined Delica doesn’t crack my top-ten favorite Sal-designs, but I judge it to be among the best folders I’ve ever seen, including my favorite Sals. If I had just one Spydie and it was my Delica, I’d smile often, I’m sure.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Kyle8734 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:44 am
Got my first Delica not long back-the M390 version and love it. Yes I have bigger models-Pm2,Sage,Para 3, etc and i do love all of those but for whatever reasons the Delica just fits me and my needs perfect almost. I don't mind the frn-makes it super light, don't mind the backlock-Spyderco does them so well. It is just a great knife overall for me and I might end up grabbing another. Also was nice to see it test for 61.4 and 61.8 when I sent it out for Rockwell testing a while back.
May I ask: In which aspects do you feel Sage and Para 3 are "bigger models" than the Delica? Maybe bigger (wider) packages in pocket and a bit wider blades, but all three models have the same amount of actual edge and the Delica even a more generous actual handle (longer grip area), while one can still perfectly choke up on that Ricasso imo.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
rak2

Essential Household Tool

Post by rak2 »

Every home should have one.

And, considering the season, a gift that won't go unused.
rak2
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The more I carry my Cruwear Delica the more I love it. Such a perfect design. I could be happy with just my Cruwear Delica and Cru-carta Shaman.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

What also speaks for the Delica in its general size range:

There is a wharnie version both in SE and PE (despite preferring larger knives generally, for a wharncliff the Delica size is quite perfect imho)

And one can also get a sabre grind "hard use" blade (I have a Delica sabre grind comboedge, don't carry it a lot, but love it as a workknife in situations where you have to work real fast and can't avoid hitting metal and the like with the tip).
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Would love to see a K390 Wharncliffe Delica. Reaching for the stars: CQI Delica with 50/50 choil.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.