Discussion: What do you think is the best size for an EDC folder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
James Y

Re: Discussion: What do you think is the best size for an EDC folder?

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:16 pm
Slash wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:49 am
All depends. I usually try to stay away from Walmart. But, some items are kinda hard to find elsewhere at a decent price. Usually socks and underwear and such are typical items. So, longer folding blade is a must as crazy people like to target Walmart for some reason. I prefer not to be a victim if I have any say so in the matter. 4" fits in pocket well. 4" also good size barrels on pistols.

Same here, I avoid it like the plague normally.

They tend to attract all kinds of problems.

If I do go I go in the middle of the day..... Park pretty close and stay with groups of people going in and out....

I can normally get stuff off Amazon etc for things I would get at Wal-Mart so I rarely ever go near one anymore...

For an EDC I carry a Military when I go to Wal-Mart defiantly or even around one just incase.
I don’t get to Wal-Mart very often, because the nearest ones are a little out of the way for me; I only go in if I happen to be in the area and need something, like boxes of disposable vinyl gloves. They have ones I can’t find anywhere else. Surprisingly, I’ve never seen any problem types at either one. Maybe it’s the locations/areas they’re in. I live not far from a Target, and I’ve seen mentally ill homeless around the area that occasionally act out, even though it’s in a decent area. Maybe because there‘s a recycling center nearby. I’m not sure if that affects what sized knife I carry or not, but I usually carry something substantial.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:39 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:16 pm
Slash wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:49 am
All depends. I usually try to stay away from Walmart. But, some items are kinda hard to find elsewhere at a decent price. Usually socks and underwear and such are typical items. So, longer folding blade is a must as crazy people like to target Walmart for some reason. I prefer not to be a victim if I have any say so in the matter. 4" fits in pocket well. 4" also good size barrels on pistols.

Same here, I avoid it like the plague normally.

They tend to attract all kinds of problems.

If I do go I go in the middle of the day..... Park pretty close and stay with groups of people going in and out....

I can normally get stuff off Amazon etc for things I would get at Wal-Mart so I rarely ever go near one anymore...

For an EDC I carry a Military when I go to Wal-Mart defiantly or even around one just incase.
I don’t get to Wal-Mart very often, because the nearest ones are a little out of the way for me; I only go in if I happen to be in the area and need something, like boxes of disposable vinyl gloves. They have ones I can’t find anywhere else. Surprisingly, I’ve never seen any problem types at either one. Maybe it’s the locations/areas they’re in. I live not far from a Target, and I’ve seen mentally ill homeless around the area that occasionally act out, even though it’s in a decent area. Maybe because there‘s a recycling center nearby. I’m not sure if that affects what sized knife I carry or not, but I usually carry something substantial.

Jim

It's normally the areas they are in, the cliental that they cater too. ;)

We do have a new one that is farther out also that doesn't have the issues.

Putting a store right in the center of a GHETTO or high crime area then complain about theft etc... :rolleyes:

I used to be in the business and heard them complain about it more than a few times over the decades.

They sounded stupid as **** too.... :rolleyes:

I was asked once how to solve the issues, I told them close the store and build another one in a better area.... They didn't like my answer too much.. LOL

We have one Wal-Mart that the Police could setup a barracks right in the parking lot as it would save them time as they are always there anyway...

There is more stuff that goes on both inside and outside that store it would keep them more than busy.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I have more than once in the daylight and at night deterred some sketchy looking characters from approaching me too closely by indicating that I was undoubtedly armed. I don’t like going to Walmart.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:26 pm
I have more than once in the daylight and at night deterred some sketchy looking characters from approaching me too closely by indicating that I was undoubtedly armed. I don’t like going to Walmart.

I absolutely do not go anywhere near any shopping center at night anymore.

If it's not light out I just don't, just too sketchy anymore...
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

3.75 inches
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

Edc depends on what one does during the day. Someone in an office answering phones all day has different tasks than a landscaper. The landscaper can easily carry and use a larger knife than the desk jockey in mixed company.

The sage is probably one of knives that would be acceptable in any environment. It may be a tad large for some in the office, and on the smallish end for truly rough outdoors duty.
Hobnob

Post by Hobnob »

My EDC sweet spot is the Delica. I do carry the Endela, and Pac Salt pretty regularly. Dragonfly in the Watch pocket as a secondary. Personally I would feel under-knived with just the DF.
geronm042

Post by geronm042 »

Caly 3, Native... are getting the most pocket time on the long run here, even if I prefer larger ones (mostly at home).
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

For me 3.5-4" is the "best" size for general edc. The Caly 3.5 is just right. (how do they get so much blade in there?) The Para and Millie also get a fair amount of carry time. A lightweight Caly 3.5 with LC would make my day.....please. :spyder:
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:29 pm
MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:26 pm

I absolutely do not go anywhere near any shopping center at night anymore.

If it's not light out I just don't, just too sketchy anymore...

That’s why they made these :cool:
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Are you guys serious about this? Is it that dangerous to go shopping where you live?
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

tonijedi wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:46 am
Are you guys serious about this? Is it that dangerous to go shopping where you live?
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

For me, 4.4"
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I've always felt pretty comfortable in my local Wal-marts. I just go early in the morning.. you'd be amazed at how many of the degenerates aren't awake yet. Plus, I'm pretty confident that I can still outrun the power-scooters that a majority of patrons seem to use there..

Speaking on ideal edc sizes.. I've always thought a mid-size knife to be best for general carry. ~ 3 in. blade with enough handle for a full grip. If I have a specific task in mind, I'll adjust my carry accordingly. Otherwise, I've always gotten by just fine with a mid-sized folder.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
James Y

Post by James Y »

prndltech wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:02 am
tonijedi wrote:
It depends on where you are. Not where I’m at for the most part, but people’s locations, circumstances, etc., are different. And even in my area, which is generally considered relatively safe, a couple of the areas around where I shop for groceries within a mile of where I live have had parking lot murders and other crimes very recently. There are some other parts of town I’d feel uncomfortable shopping at in the daytime, let alone at night, and I’m far from being a paranoid person. When I was a kid, an older cousin of mine and his wife lived in an area that even back in the ‘60s and ‘70s was rife with gangbanging and crime, and he would always tell us to watch our behinds (not the word he used) if we just went outside to play, and he didn’t tell us nicely. That neighborhood is still notorious as a high-crime area.

So I know it’s gone way OT for this thread, but I wouldn’t make fun of someone else’s viewpoints because I don’t have an understanding of their personal living situations and other circumstances.

To keep my post somewhat on topic, and to reiterate, for me, on a day-to-day basis, I’m mostly best served by 3” to 3.5” blades, which in general are not too big nor too small. If I need smaller, or more discreet, I can use the smaller blades on one of the two SAKs I always have in my pockets.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

tonijedi wrote:

Depends on where a person lives and in what area of town the store is in.

Were I live it is generally not too bad, not as safe as it was 25 years ago, but still not like Baltimore City or Chicago... YET....

Used to VERY safe before all those people started moving in around the area, gotten progressively worse, well more people, more problems....

Like James, people being shot, killed and beaten not too far from were I live now, within a mile or 2.....

The Wal-Mart is right in the middle of a high crime area......
vivi

Post by vivi »

Shopping at night is so SCARY :eek:

lol. this thread.

Ya'll really think anyone else out there notices or cares about the half inch blade difference between your "office" knife and "yard work" knife? I don't.
:unicorn
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

tonijedi wrote:
Absolutely not where I live in central Missouri.

In my area I've never felt danger or threatened when shopping, at night or otherwise, in small towns or large cities.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:23 pm
Shopping at night is so SCARY :eek:

lol. this thread.

Ya'll really think anyone else out there notices or cares about the half inch blade difference between your "office" knife and "yard work" knife? I don't.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:42 pm
tonijedi wrote:
Absolutely not where I live in central Missouri.

In my area I've never felt danger or threatened when shopping, at night or otherwise, in small towns or large cities.
This thread cracks me up. Once or twice a year I toss my hammock on my bicycle and ride across the country. No planned routes or anything. I'll roll up in some random town at 11pm on a $3000 carbon fiber bicycle and find somewhere to buy some food.

Neve, ever have I had a problem.

I distinctly remember stopping at BBQ truck in rural Georgia. Lofton's BBQ I think, based out of Newton. It was late, they were almost closed. It was dark and I was the only white person around. I stopped to get two pulled pork sandwiches. While I was waiting for my order some dude with sagging, baggy pants and long dreads approached me from behind......

....To ask me about my bike ride. I told him about it and others started listening, fascinated that I was cycling around like that for fun.

One of them invited me to their home and I took them up on the offer. The mrs. made me pancakes in the morning and I posed for a photo with their daughter, who had asked me for my autograph.

People thought I was crazy when I told them I was going to bike through New Orleans. Everyone said I was going to get mugged. Never did happen despite a midnight run to a 24 hour grocery store.

Not saying crime doesn't exist....murders are up this year in my city. But things aren't so bad here I need to significantly disrupt my daily routine. There's a particular gas station I avoid going to at 3am because people always bother me for $$ "ran out of gas and my daughter is in labor come on maaaaan" but that's about it.

Needless to say if there's something I need at 3am from a Walmart, I go and buy it :)
:unicorn