Liquid Cobra is making some knives..

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Liquid Cobra

Re: Liquid Cobra is making some knives..

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:58 am
The knives themselves aren't close to my cup of tea, but i admire craftsmanship regardless, and have wished many times that i had pursued a careeer in cabinet making or leatherwork (had "dreams" of both when i was younger)
Keep up the knife/scale making, i envy you! :)

Thanks Larry. Yeah I decided late last year to give this whole thing a try so I sold off 90% of my knife collection and bought all the stuff you see up above. Prior to that I started messing around with some mods etc. Think you’ll ever get into cabinet making?

Also, what kind of knives would be your cup of tea?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Are those two hollow ground? The grinds look really well done.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
benben

Post by benben »

Very nice LC, beautiful work!
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:07 am
Larry_Mott wrote:
The knives themselves aren't close to my cup of tea, but i admire craftsmanship regardless, and have wished many times that i had pursued a careeer in cabinet making or leatherwork (had "dreams" of both when i was younger)

Thanks Larry. Yeah I decided late last year to give this whole thing a try so I sold off 90% of my knife collection and bought all the stuff you see up above. Prior to that I started messing around with some mods etc. Think you’ll ever get into cabinet making?

I wanted to when i was young, but now i don't know if i have the committment. I had the good fortune to watch top notch craftsmen, instrument makers, cabinet makers and leatherwork.
Regarding knives, conservative doesn't even start to describe me :) Fixed blades, think Kephart, Loveless and very basic designs.
Folders i am torn. Grew up with Solingen '60 to 70's folders. Had (and still own) some of the 70's -80's "icons" Buck 110, 112 Schrade LB7, Uncle Henry and a couple of Case folders. For me, Spyderco has been something of a aquired taste.
Anyway, best of luck in your knifemaking, they seem nicely enough made already!
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:38 am

Thanks doc. The large one with the white scales is a flat grind. The two little tantos were hollow ground.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:42 am
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:07 am
Larry_Mott wrote:

I wanted to when i was young, but now i don't know if i have the committment. I had the good fortune to watch top notch craftsmen, instrument makers, cabinet makers and leatherwork.
Regarding knives, conservative doesn't even start to describe me :) Fixed blades, think Kephart, Loveless and very basic designs.
Folders i am torn. Grew up with Solingen '60 to 70's folders. Had (and still own) some of the 70's -80's "icons" Buck 110, 112 Schrade LB7, Uncle Henry and a couple of Case folders. For me, Spyderco has been something of a aquired taste.
Anyway, best of luck in your knifemaking, they seem nicely enough made already!

Ah gotcha. Yeah I don’t know what most of that is. But it all sounds very traditional. It makes me surprised you would be so into Spyderco but then again it doesn’t. If that makes sense.

@liquid_cobra
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:03 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:38 am

Thanks doc. The large one with the white scales is a flat grind. The two little tantos were hollow ground.
A good thin high hollow grind takes some skill to get right. Yours look good.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Cool! Are you posting your work to Instagram too?

Making a kephart is like proving your artistic ability by drawing a perfect circle freehand. The kephart is very simple, so the materials and execution are what sets them apart.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:24 am

Making a kephart is like proving your artistic ability by drawing a perfect circle freehand. The kephart is very simple, so the materials and execution are what sets them apart.
Funny you should mention the Kephart, i'm on the fence ordering the Condor Kephart. Heard a lot of good stuff about it.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

Congratulations on making those very impressive pieces!

I'm loving those Tantos; always wanted to add a few to my collection.
As well I love those Hollow Grinds. Also, the acid washed blade finishes really appeal to me.

I'd definitely look at buying one should the opp'y present itself, particularly the piece with orange scales. Looking fwd to seeing what you'll do with sheaths. :)

You've already demonstrated some mad skills and nice equipment, attractive materials-- I wonder if you would post some specs, like the alloy(s) used, blade thickness, blade length, overall length --

-- VERY NICE WORK, KEEP AT IT!

==================================================================
SB / BRUCE :cool: :cool:
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Awesome!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:25 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:24 am

Funny you should mention the Kephart, i'm on the fence ordering the Condor Kephart. Heard a lot of good stuff about it.
I plan to make my own from a 7” Old Hickory butcher knife. They’re $12 on Amazon. Plan to toss the original scales, epoxy and pin or korby bolt new Osage or snakewood scales on and reprofile the blade to about 5” drop point (not spear). Then shape the handle “to taste”.
Ric

Post by Ric »

Amazing.
Looks like to be used.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Very nice pieces! The textured bevel on the black-handled knife looks cool. I like the way you set the handle screws into the slabs of the orange-handled knife. Nice shop you have as well.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

I like the looks of the Black One (#2). If the price was right I would definitely buy one, if the handle was a bright green I still would definitely buy one (or two)! :D
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Thanks for all the feedback. I really appreciate it. Here’s one I did today.

@liquid_cobra
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

Totally diggin' it.
Tx again. :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:spyder: :spyder: Stay Sharp --
-- SB / BRUCE :cool: :cool:
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

Wow LC,
Great looking knives! Kydex sheaths?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

marty_bill_ wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:08 pm
Wow LC,
Great looking knives! Kydex sheaths?

I’ve ordered the kydex, just need to wait for it to arrive.

Thanks!

@liquid_cobra
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:44 pm
RustyIron wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:54 am
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:42 pm
Hi forum folks. I haven’t been as active on this forum as of late because I’ve been busy trying to learn how to make my own knives. I’ve made 3 so far and I thought I would share them here for anyone interested. Honestly, it is a very fun hobby that I find incredibly rewarding.

Very nice, LC.
How do you shape the blade? Surface grinder?
Pictures of the tools is just as important as pictures of the knives.
Thx.

I drew the knife on paper and then cut out the drawing. I traded it onto the steel and then cut out the shape using a portable band saw. I cleaned it up on my grinder, drilled holes with a drill press. I then heat treated the blade using my evenheat heat treat oven. Then back to the grinder for the actual grinds. I cut out the g10 on my portable band saw and then shaped them with the grinder. I cleaned up the scales by hand using sand paper. I hope that all makes sense.

This is my heat treat oven.

Grinder..

My crappy drill press and vacuum.

Work bench with necessary drill bits etc.

Contact wheels..

And here is the first knife I made. White G10 handle scales with acid washed on the bevel, satin flats.

Again, thanks for looking and the kind words. Maybe I’ll keep this thread updated as I go along.

Impressive!

I'm assuming that is your kitchen? :D