Military 2. What exactly is going on?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dj moonbat

Re: Military 2. What exactly is going on?

Post by dj moonbat »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:57 am
dogrunner wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:52 am
I agree that the handle details on the Military are important to its overall ergonomic excellence. I like the PM2 and in some ways it fits my hands better. I have small hands and always thought the Mili would be too big... until I tried one. The choil and groove make it work, even in winter with heavy gloves.
That (winter / glove use) combined with the best liner lock I personally ever experienced, is one of the big stengths of the Millie imho!
I’m basically never in heavy gloves, so “easy to release the lock” is an unmitigated negative for me.
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

dj moonbat wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:52 am
Wartstein wrote:
dogrunner wrote:
I agree that the handle details on the Military are important to its overall ergonomic excellence. I like the PM2 and in some ways it fits my hands better. I have small hands and always thought the Mili would be too big... until I tried one. The choil and groove make it work, even in winter with heavy gloves.
That (winter / glove use) combined with the best liner lock I personally ever experienced, is one of the big stengths of the Millie imho!
I’m basically never in heavy gloves, so “easy to release the lock” is an unmitigated negative for me.
Probably the same kind of 'easy' as the PM2, I'd wager. Judging by the grip on the handle, your middle finger covers the groove but doesn't disengage the lock.
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dj moonbat wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
dogrunner wrote:
For me the Millie linerlock (one of the best executed I have experienced) is generally slightly easier and a tad safer (concerning dropping the knife, the "fingers in the blade path thing" should really not be an issue, especially when a blade has a finger choil) to operate than a compression lock.
That is noticeable not only with heavy gloves, but also with cold and/or wet/greasy fingers.

So while both are not my absolute favorites, I prefer a well done linerlock slightly over any compression lock.

And I have to say: I can´t remember one single account where someone would have unintentionally would have released the Millie linerlock (this ot course does not mean that it never happens, just not to my knowledge).

Still I am glad for the many, many people who´ll love a comp.lock Military!!! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I personally like the comp lock. It's not my favorite, but I like it. Us forumites may be on the fence regarding the comp lock as a whole, but I believe it is very well received by the general public. I believe this new model will be a big seller that may need multiple runs.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
James Y

Post by James Y »

IMO, the Military model has the best liner lock of any production knife.

As for the compression lock, I like it, but am mixed about its security in the closed position. Though the only time I ever remember getting pinched by a compression lock was many years ago, when handling one of the earliest examples of a compression lock in a store. It could have been a compression lock version of the Vesuvius. IIRC, it was FRN-handled. I’ve never even come close to being pinched by the compression locks on my PM2, Para 3, or Caribbean.

Jim
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:41 am

No, that is just over a year of hard use and how the picture turned out. You can tell by the blade size it's been sharpened probably over 100 times. Scrubbing and magic eraser will make it slightly more purple, but it's certainly much darker than a new one.
Sharpened over 100 times in a year due to hard use? I'd guess that you use your knife a *bit* more than I use mine.

What is your opinion of S110V vs others that you have used this way? Fine edge retention vs working edge? Cutting wet, dirty rope mostly?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'd personally like to see a few more Military sprints before moving on to the Comp Lock Military 2. I've been waiting for a new CQI version Military with Cruwear. A St Nick's 4V would be nice as well. AEB-L is another that could be interesting.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pelagic wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:20 am
I personally like the comp lock. It's not my favorite, but I like it. Us forumites may be on the fence regarding the comp lock as a whole, but I believe it is very well received by the general public. I believe this new model will be a big seller that may need multiple runs.
As said above, I also think that very many people inside and outside this forum will love a comp.lock Millie, and I am glad for all of them! :)

I personally like the comp.lock too as an ingenious design and very easy and safe to operate also by people who don´t use knives a lot (Imho if you really USE your knife the practice that comes with that will make any lock "easy and safe" to operate).

It´s just that my "personal knife journey" has led me to a point where I prefer other locks, and since I can´t have to many knives usually I´ll personally go for backlock, CBBL and even linerlock Spyides before comp.lock models.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:43 am
I'd personally like to see a few more Military sprints before moving on to the Comp Lock Military 2. I've been waiting for a new CQI version Military with Cruwear. A St Nick's 4V would be nice as well. AEB-L is another that could be interesting.
Do you think that eventually the Millie 2 will replace the Millie "1" ? I know, that is likely if one thinks of Paramilitary and PM2, Stretch and Stretch 2... but then, there are for example Salt 1 and Salt 2, both still in the lineup...

I think there are many people who would miss the iconic linerlock Millie. And those like me who even prefer a good linerlock.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:48 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Do you think that eventually the Millie 2 will replace the Millie "1" ? I know, that is likely if one thinks of Paramilitary and PM2, Stretch and Stretch 2... but then, there are for example Salt 1 and Salt 2, both still in the lineup...

I think there are many people who would miss the iconic linerlock Millie. And those like me who even prefer a good linerlock.

I'm pretty sure all of the Salt 1s have been discontinued. May be a few lingering at some dealers. I'm assuming it would replace the Military, but maybe I am wrong. Still want a Cruwear Military 1 either way! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:50 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:48 am
steelcity16 wrote:

I'm pretty sure all of the Salt 1s have been discontinued. May be a few lingering at some dealers. I'm assuming it would replace the Military, but maybe I am wrong. Still want a Cruwear Military 1 either way! :D
I am not so sure... At least the Salt 1 is listed on the Spyderco page, without any mention that it would be discontinued...
https://www.spyderco.com/?s=salt
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

dj moonbat wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
dogrunner wrote:
It is easy to release when you want to, but I've never felt like it was going to release on its own or by clumsy handling. It is a very intentional movement. So your statement is not an accurate reflection of what anyone has said, including me! It works fine!
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

dogrunner wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:50 am
dj moonbat wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
dogrunner wrote:
It is easy to release when you want to, but I've never felt like it was going to release on its own or by clumsy handling. It is a very intentional movement. So your statement is not an accurate reflection of what anyone has said, including me! It works fine!
I never said it didn’t work fine. But having a gaping cutout over the lock release makes it easier to release than it would otherwise be; that’s pretty much just logic. And I DON’T NEED that extra ease of release, because I’m basically never wearing thick gloves. So the added risk of accidental release, however small that additional risk might be, is not counterbalanced by additional functionality that I can use. See, it’s not a criticism of the product; it’s an explication of how the product isn’t right FOR ME. And I refuse to believe that you have more accurately stated my own needs in a knife than I have.
blues

Post by blues »

- Retired from the chase -
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
archangel

Post by archangel »

I'm stoked! Pleeeeeeease let it be 4V.... :rolleyes:
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:40 am
Complete opposite for me. Having handled lefty Militarys I can say the cutout hinders ergonomics for me.
You know, I thought about this statement just now, and i want people to test these 2 grips:

VERSUS

grip it tightly and post your thoughts. Which grip feels better, namely for your index finger?
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Even with the clip removed it still doesnt feel like a Military with no cutout.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pelagic wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:37 am
Vivi wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:40 am
Complete opposite for me. Having handled lefty Militarys I can say the cutout hinders ergonomics for me.
You know, I thought about this statement just now, and i want people to test these 2 grips:

grip it tightly and post your thoughts. Which grip feels better, namely for your index finger?
As I said earlier: I like the cutout under my index finger (or better liked, cause I sold my Millie recently).
But that might depend on hand size a lot: Sure the cutout makes the handle a bit slimmer in circumference and a tad less hand filling. So could it be that guys like Vivi, with really big hands do not actually dislike the cutout itself, but the a bit less hand filling handle it creates?! (Vivi?)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:10 am
The holdup is the unstoppable success of the Military 1.
I could just go ahead and say a big AMEN!! or just simply say "CASE CLOSED. But maybe there is just a bit more to it that what we all don't see that goes on inside the walls of the Great Spyder Factory.

I've got one philosophy that has worked really well for me in my entire life. It's an old cliche or saying that my favorite Uncle used to quote all the time. It simply says "IF IT AIN'T BROKE THEN PLEASE DON'T TRY TO FIX IT" . I've had at least 6 of the C-36 Military model and all them worked very well for me. So at this time I'm still pleased. I'm currently EDCing an M390 Military I've had for 3.5 years now and it's just great.

I guess I would take a serious look at a new improved version of the Military model. But at this point it would have to be a monumental improvement to get me to change my EDC folder that I'm currently very Happy with.