Discussion: What do you think is the best size for an EDC folder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Naperville

Re: Discussion: What do you think is the best size for an EDC folder?

Post by Naperville »

I only carry for self preservation, self defense. If I have a self defense tool on me, I will not use it for anything other than self defense. I will not open a box or letter with my 20CV CF Yojimbo 2. The edge is for one purpose only should I ever need it.

I'm in a spot legally if I carry what makes me happy.

If I go to Chicago, I think the limit it is under 2.5 inches, maybe less than that by quite a bit, say 1.75 inch blade. Outside of Chicago, and in the State of IlliNOISE I can carry whatever I want, but if it is over a 3 inch blade and they find fault with my intent or use, the charges start with a felony.

Nonetheless, I like 4 inch blades for folders. Yes, a good weapon can be 1/2 and inch to an inch, but if your life depends on it, then a 4 inch folder or larger fixed blade is the way to go. There are not enough excellent 4 inch blades for self defense on the market.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Jazz wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:37 pm
Depends on how big your hands are too. Just ask Evil D, Vivi, and a few others. I have fairly large hands, but really like 3” blade, 4” handles for EDC. Always a large folder in my back pocket, though (when out and about).
That's also my ideal lengths for all around use - 3" blade, 4" handle.
No knife size limits here. My hands are between lg and xlg.
vivi

Post by vivi »

4-4.25" blade is the sweet spot for me. I'll carry folders a little bigger or a little smaller, but this is my ideal size.

I'm not bothered by a little extra handle sticking out in saber grip. Most knives that are the same width as my grip feel too small.

A lot of 3-3.75" knives have blades that would work ok for me if their handles were longer. I use a lot of fixed blades with shorter blades, like my Street Beat and Izula 2, but those handles aren't restricted by folding knife design limitations.

I have no blade length restrictions so I choose based on what I find useful. I find 4-4.25" blades provide more versatility than smaller blades for my uses, and aren't so cumbersome to carry that I'll leave them at home.
:unicorn
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

although i like larger blades because i think they are cool, the ideal edc for me is probably 3.5" or smaller. the manix is perfect, but i can perform most tasks comfortably with a 3" knife as well.

at work, i can only carry knives 2.5" or smaller, which is mostly adequate in the office, but leaves me with a feeling of lacking. it's hard to cut a chicken breast or piece of steak for lunch with a knife that small.

my most typical edc pair is the manix lw and pacific salt. the pacific salt it over 3.5", but it is a purpose-built knife for me. i keep it on me because i'm surrounded by the ocean and i never know when i might end up at the beach. in the water, i want all those spydie teeth at the ready.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
anycal

Post by anycal »

As I regularly cycle through the different sized knives in my collection, any of them could be an EDC for extended period of time. With my current needs and uses of knives, no problem - Chaparral to Military, and bunch in between.

That said, 3-3.5" cutting edge is a sweet spot for me. It has been for a long time, before :spyder: .
Peter
sok

Post by sok »

Since all my folders have a choil, that needs to be mentioned when I talk handle to blade ratio. I need a four finger grip with and without the use of the choil.

I have found that I don’t need a lot of blade length, but more is always better. Meaning, I don’t want a large handle with a two inch blade. Give me the four finger grip requirement mentioned above and add as much blade as is comfortable to the knife. Three inches of cutting edge is plenty for me.

Since I like choils, this all works out great because I can hide handle length by folding half of a choil into the handle. This makes the handle longer than the knife is when it is closed.

The Caly 3.5 and the Para 3 are perfect for me in this regard. I get a nice comfy four finger grip when using the choil, but can still get four fingers wrapped around the handle when I don’t use the choil. They maximize handle length and minimize carry length.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

anycal wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:16 pm
As I regularly cycle through the different sized knives in my collection, any of them could be an EDC for extended period of time. With my current needs and uses of knives, no problem - Chaparral to Military, and bunch in between.

That said, 3-3.5" cutting edge is a sweet spot for me. It has been for a long time, before :spyder: .

Brother I ride with whatever knife I want AND a Glock on my hip. You just need to get a decent beach cruiser :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Tims

Post by Tims »

3.5-4 inches for me. My preference is for a blade as large as is comfortably pocketable and this seems about the limit
jacala

Post by jacala »

Endura (serrated or plain) is not too big and not too small.
nativeleek

Post by nativeleek »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:21 pm
nativeleek wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:53 am
Hi there.

Just want a discussion on your favorite size for an EDC folder.

IMHO, a perfect EDC folder should have a handle long enough to accommodate all four fingers with none sticking out from my pinky in saber grip. This provides a secure grip while maximizing the carriability.

In my situation, the ideal handle length is somewhere between 3.6 inches to 3.9 inches depending on its design.

Do you prefer a smaller handle or something larger for various grip choices? Please share your opinion.

Thanks!

I just read this a little more thorough and I can sort of relate, I used to obsess quite a bit about how much handle was sticking out of the end of my hand. It took me a LONG time to warm up to the Military for this reason, but it's now probably my overall favorite knife. All I can say is my taste for slightly longer blades made longer handles a necessity so I adjusted. I also have pretty big hands so on a knife like the Caribbean I don't have much handle sticking out in a full fisted grip and it gives me the edge length I'm looking for.
Yes. This is exactly what I'm asking. What I'm trying to know is not everybody's favorite EDC folder but the taste of EDC size comparing to their own hands.

Thanks for the sharing. :) :)
Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Native 5, Sage 5, Chaparral, Techno 2, Positron, SpydieChef, Para 3, Lil' Native lockback
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

jacala wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:44 am
Endura (serrated or plain) is not too big and not too small.
+1 (still hoping for an ffg serrated Endura)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

anything larger than my manix 2 is a no. so no pm2.
my range for perfect fit and no excessively large handles are about 3" give or take a 1/4" only.
manbugs are too small for me.so like dragonfly to manix but i carry lil native and para 3 or a manix and urban.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Personally, I prefer knives with a blade around 3.5" and a handle 4.75" or less for general use. I don't use a clip and carry my knife in my back pocket, so that's the largest knife that will ride comfortably at the bottom of that pocket. Only time I carry smaller is when I'm going somewhere with a 3" blade limit.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

3.5-4" regardless of laws. I carry what I want, where I want.

The Caribbean is about perfect in terms of EDC blade length.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:19 pm
Here in the great State of Missouri where I'm living we are blessed with a 4 inch blade length limit for a folder.
Since when did restrictions become blessings? :confused:

To answer the original question, I've found the Para 3 LW to be a great size for my use. I suppose the G10 model could be included, but it sticks out of my pocket 3 feet.
Slash

Post by Slash »

All depends. I usually try to stay away from Walmart. But, some items are kinda hard to find elsewhere at a decent price. Usually socks and underwear and such are typical items. So, longer folding blade is a must as crazy people like to target Walmart for some reason. I prefer not to be a victim if I have any say so in the matter. 4" fits in pocket well. 4" also good size barrels on pistols.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Slash wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:49 am
All depends. I usually try to stay away from Walmart. But, some items are kinda hard to find elsewhere at a decent price. Usually socks and underwear and such are typical items. So, longer folding blade is a must as crazy people like to target Walmart for some reason. I prefer not to be a victim if I have any say so in the matter. 4" fits in pocket well. 4" also good size barrels on pistols.
Username checks out.

Now I’m gonna call the military or the chinook my “Wal-Mart blades” and that’s gonna have a whole new meaning.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Where do you live that going to Wal Mart puts you at risk of being attacked?

Field engineer for construction projects - I have other people to the cutting for me. An urban is perfect and aptly named
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Closed 3.5”. Minimum of two blades, preferably clip and coping.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Slash wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:49 am

Same here, I avoid it like the plague normally.

They tend to attract all kinds of problems.

If I do go I go in the middle of the day..... Park pretty close and stay with groups of people going in and out....

I can normally get stuff off Amazon etc for things I would get at Wal-Mart so I rarely ever go near one anymore...

For an EDC I carry a Military when I go to Wal-Mart defiantly or even around one just incase.