Clear Knife Scales

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: Clear Knife Scales

Post by ladybug93 »

looks better than those silly red scales. i don’t know if i’ll ever understand the colors that spyderco uses or has in sprints and exclusives. i wanted an xhp manix, so i have a knife with a brown plastic handle. if i want s110v, i have to get that awful ‘blurple.’ if i want dlc, my best chance seems to be cutlery shoppe which is obsessed with construction sign orange. i wish you could just order the steel you want in the color you want from spyderco, provided the steel and color were already available in that model. (i know that’s been brought up before and shot down, so you don’t have to jump all over me about it.)

anyway, i agree that the clear scales look awesome, but probably only long enough for a quick picture and never again.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Have several thoughts about it. Whoever made them is a skilled craftsman. It would make an excellent alternative to a cutaway "salesman's sample" for educational purposes, showing how the knife's lock operates. It would be an interesting show piece for a collector. It's probably not very practical for EDC use, for the reasons many others have already mentioned.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:11 pm
I am still waiting on a translucent orange Manix (yellowish orange would be neat).
In REX 45, perhaps? :cool:
derangedhermit

Post by derangedhermit »

You could route out space for a tiny battery and some multi-color LEDs and have mood lighting, like some people want for gaming PCs or under their cars. Or maybe put a white LED up front to see what you are cutting better. A combo knife/flashlight can't be a new idea, but I haven't noticed one...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have brought this up in the past. I am still very interested.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
friction_burn

Post by friction_burn »

I'm the guy that made those scales. Go by karbadize on Instagram. They are made of lexan

They were a commission set for a guy that wanted a demonstrator knife to show off the internals. Apparently, it's a big thing in the fountain pen world. I had no idea they would be as popular as they have been.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

friction_burn wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:19 pm
I'm the guy that made those scales. Go by karbadize on Instagram. They are made of lexan

They were a commission set for a guy that wanted a demonstrator knife to show off the internals. Apparently, it's a big thing in the fountain pen world. I had no idea they would be as popular as they have been.
Nice job on those!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
friction_burn

Post by friction_burn »

Thank you! I really liked how they turned out.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Not for me.
I dont even like the 'jade' scales.
What ever floats your boat how ever. YMMV and all that.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

friction_burn wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:19 pm

Very well done sir!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

gundamaniac wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:19 pm
As mentioned above, if it's actually carried and used then every bit of dirt or dust it encounters is gonna get trapped in there and make it look pretty gross after a while. That being said, it does look gorgeous. Very nicely done.
And I would not care. Blow it our Wash it out, Blow Peoples minds! As it is now I blow peoples minds with my Spydies I hand them to my co-workers and they go " Oh my God that is so light, then I say go ahead cut something and then they say whee can I buy one of these?

Sal baby I am talking commission here lets make it happen!
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:31 pm
gundamaniac wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:19 pm
As mentioned above, if it's actually carried and used then every bit of dirt or dust it encounters is gonna get trapped in there and make it look pretty gross after a while. That being said, it does look gorgeous. Very nicely done.
And I would not care. Blow it our Wash it out, Blow Peoples minds! As it is now I blow peoples minds with my Spydies I hand them to my co-workers and they go " Oh my God that is so light, then I say go ahead cut something and then they say whee can I buy one of these?

Sal baby I am talking commission here lets make it happen!
Ha! I like your way of thinking. Carry it, use it, enjoy it =)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

It is gorgeous, and belongs in a glass display case. It is a great way to show off the way the internals fit together and work their magic.
PStone

Post by PStone »

For those interested, these are in stock at BHQ.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Karbadize ... ent--96876
Ric

Post by Ric »

A cool showpiece but not a user for me.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Would be great at the retail counter so buyers could see what they are buying.

Otherwise add sparkles or laminated bugs or .... ?????

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I'm going to wait for one in transparent aluminum :)