Smooth Black G10 slipped

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gull wing

Smooth Black G10 slipped

Post by gull wing »

Got a Cruwear smooth black G10 Native 5 and love the knife, the Cruwear is fantastic.
Then ouch, while closing it, dropped it on my concrete drive. Could have been worse, it didn't fall on the tip.
The blade got a nick on the spine and the belly. Lock lug got one too, as did the G10. Overall the worse thing was the nick on the belly, had to reprofile :( , which was not too bad.
I didn't hesitate, swapped the blade to my Gray Lightweight Native 5, feel better now. ;)
I really like the smooth G10, looks great, but .........I may abrasive blast the G10 fot a surer grip.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
VooDooChild

Re: Smooth Black G10 slipped

Post by VooDooChild »

I have been weary of this as well. But its a cruwear native 5, so in my mind that is a work knife and any work knife will be dropped eventually. I havent yet but if it happens it happens. As long as I dont lose it or stab my foot its just one of those things. I just try to handle it with a more stable grip. Outside of taking a dremel or file to the scales, or swapping the scales, I think I just have to live with it. I try to be positive and focus on the pocket life enhancing aspect.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Definitely have to give them more care. You think this is bad you should try out my polished Ouroboros.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I couldn't get on board with the smooth G10 on the Cruwear PM2. I ended up putting micarta scales on it. This was a few years ago ;)
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Love Micarta!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Smooth g10 on my cruwear manix got replaced with micarta as soon as I could find them in stock. I plan to do the same on the cruwear native. The smooth g10 is nice on your pockets, but definitely too slippery for me in use.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
jdw

Post by jdw »

I have one. I gifted a polished S90v flavor to a friend because I kept dropping it and then I got sucked in again to polished G10 by Cruwear. As you describe, the polished G10 is fine as long as there is jimping to hang on to but closing and general handling can be too slick for sweaty or gunked up hands. I tried some sandpaper and it helps a lot.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Some love it polished, pocket sliding is a poor reason.

I have worn business casual slacks for years carrying all kinds of spyderco G10 and FRN have yet to wear through a pocket due to pulling them out.

Slick handles on a knife are nice looking and perfect for safe queens. Ain’t no safe queens with me.

I too purchased a PM2 in cruwear slick worthless handles came off immediately installed some proper PM2 G10 and never regretted it.

Pointless making the handle of a pocket knife so slick it is prone to being dropped while opening and closing. Not any where as bad on a fixed blade.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Does Cruwear patina easily? I like a little patina.
jdw

Post by jdw »

gull wing wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:02 am
Does Cruwear patina easily? I like a little patina.

Not in my experience. But there are a lot of people on this board who could explain it.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:48 am

I have worn business casual slacks for years carrying all kinds of spyderco G10 and FRN have yet to wear through a pocket due to pulling them out.

Slick handles on a knife are nice looking and perfect for safe queens. Ain’t no safe queens with me.

I too purchased a PM2 in cruwear slick worthless handles came off immediately installed some proper PM2 G10 and never regretted it.

Pointless making the handle of a pocket knife so slick it is prone to being dropped while opening and closing. Not any where as bad on a fixed blade.
It's a matter of personal preference. I get yours but just because ease of sliding it in your pocket is a poor reason for you doesn't mean it's a poor reason for somebody else. I used like handles as grippy as I could get. I never thought I'd like smooth G10 or CF until I got a KC exclusive Positron with smooth (orange) G10 and a Caly 3.5 with smooth carbon fiber. With the wire clips they slid in and out of my pockets with ease. Not too slippery for me either. I haven't dropped one yet.

If you don't think grippy textured scales don't wear on your pocket, I have a drawer full of blue jeans and another drawer of cargo shorts with shredded right front pockets. It doesn't cause me to stop carrying knives with grippy handle material. But on the days that I wear those pants or shorts with worn out pockets I carry a knife with smooth handles to keep those pockets from shredding more.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Is it any worse than smooth cf, though?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have the smooth G10 Native and love it. With good ergos I don't find that I need much texture. Smooth knives also don't seem to wear holes in your clothes as fast.

I hear a lot of folks complain about smooth G10 but I don't hear many complaints about the smoothness of titanium handles andt titanium framelocks seem to still be one of the most popular styles of knife. I don't find my smooth G10 Native5 to be any more slippery than my Sage2. If anything I find the Sage less secure in my hand.

I know we all have our preferences but I feel like some folks put far too much emphasis on texture.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:07 am

It's a matter of personal preference. I get yours but just because ease of sliding it in your pocket is a poor reason for you doesn't mean it's a poor reason for somebody else. I used like handles as grippy as I could get. I never thought I'd like smooth G10 or CF until I got a KC exclusive Positron with smooth (orange) G10 and a Caly 3.5 with smooth carbon fiber. With the wire clips they slid in and out of my pockets with ease. Not too slippery for me either. I haven't dropped one yet.

If you don't think grippy textured scales don't wear on your pocket, I have a drawer full of blue jeans and another drawer of cargo shorts with shredded right front pockets. It doesn't cause me to stop carrying knives with grippy handle material. But on the days that I wear those pants or shorts with worn out pockets I carry a knife with smooth handles to keep those pockets from shredding more.
Well we disagree, in my use it is a very poor reason, there is no way I am sacrificing grip on a knife handle over whatever is going on with a pocket worn or otherwise. I would replace my pants before carrying a knife to get along with worn out clothing.

Bottom lining it slick handles on a knife that is opened and closed add to the already assumed risk of working with knives anyway especially when the knifes original design was for making one handed opening and closing possible in the first place. That is not a matter of personal preference it is a function of friction which makes operating a folding knife safer and less prone to being dropped.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

A blasted titanium frame lock has more gripping than these smooth G10 ones. I have several titanium frame knives and have never dropped them.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Hey gull, sorry to read you dropped your knife.

Personally though, I much prefer smooth clean scales and feel textured scales are grossly overrated and no substitute for good ergonomics. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:46 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:07 am

Well we disagree, in my use it is a very poor reason, there is no way I am sacrificing grip on a knife handle over whatever is going on with a pocket worn or otherwise. I would replace my pants before carrying a knife to get along with worn out clothing.

Bottom lining it slick handles on a knife that is opened and closed add to the already assumed risk of working with knives anyway especially when the knifes original design was for making one handed opening and closing possible in the first place. That is not a matter of personal preference it is a function of friction which makes operating a folding knife safer and less prone to being dropped.
Butterfingers! Lol :D
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Yep that’s me, I do allot of cleaning being former Military / Army. It is ingrained with me I took Basic training at 17 so tend to be a bit of a clean freak.

Just spent the evening mopping the floors and cleaning the tubs and toilets to me this is proper living, my poor girlfriend / soon to be wife just shakes her head and is thankful I do not expect her to keep up with my Military level of clean.

I am 50 now so there is no chance of changing.

My hands tend to be dry from all the cleaning. I like the look and the feel of smooth G10 make no mistake about that but when I got my PM2 in cruwear I swear just taking it out of the box it slipped out of my hands and went straight for the tile.

I caught it and ebayed like crazy for some regular G10.

On a different note I want to thank the forum members who turned me on to bar keepers friend for cleaning steel.

My poor woman tried to make chicken and dumplings today before work got preoccupied and burnt the Cephelon heavy duty pan really bad.

When I got home I applied a generous amount of BKF and it is as good as new.

Lol. Must confess to some devilishness when she got home I said be prepared to cough up your pay check! Just look at this disaster!!!

She was soooo sweet saying I know, I know I will buy a new one! I lifted up the pan and she was shocked it was pristine yet again.

I laughed also and said thank Spyderco and the guys at the forums if not for them this would be in the trash.

We thank you all. :)
Captain Howdy

Post by Captain Howdy »

Swapped out a few days ago I was anticipating it sliding out of my pocket and not feeling any tug or resistance
9C7D574B-519C-4200-AD24-9A34CE6EC3DF.jpeg
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:20 pm

I hear a lot of folks complain about smooth G10 but I don't hear many complaints about the smoothness of titanium handles andt titanium framelocks seem to still be one of the most popular styles of knife. I don't find my smooth G10 Native5 to be any more slippery than my Sage2. If anything I find the Sage less secure in my hand.

I know we all have our preferences but I feel like some folks put far too much emphasis on texture.

It is funny how titanium gets a pass on being slippery.

That said, I would absolutely 100% be on board with more machined textures in both titanium and G10. This is the biggest reason I ever lusted over a Strider, that Gunner Grip is gorgeous and functional.

I will always prefer superior ergonomics over scale texture but I sure would like to see both.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David