Military 2. What exactly is going on?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: Military 2. What exactly is going on?

Post by steelcity16 »

ThomC wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:27 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:48 am
yablanowitz wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:46 am

Yeah, it would amplify the very things I dislike most about the comp lock. I've been pinched and stung by that tab too many times already to be thrilled with the prospect of a bigger, more acceccible tab.

I haven't had the pinch problem with my Shaman yet either, but I definitely did on my Para 3 LW, Para 3s, and PM2s. Super annoying.
Wouldn't a solution to that be carrying the knife with the back of the blade facing the outer pocket stich ?

I'm excited to see the Military 2, whatever the lock, because its design is what attracted me to Spyderco (though I bought a PM2 for size reasons, wouldn't want to scare customers when I'm flipping a 4" blade to open boxes).

That is how I carried it. It would shift position on the pocket during movement eventually giving it enough room to open.
Last edited by steelcity16 on Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

sal wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:30 pm
I have a Compression lock prototype.

sal
I don’t care if you put 420hc on it I am in!! The military is so much greater than the sum of its part, ask anyone who has given it a real chance. My favorite folder, hands down. It’s the best liner lock on the market but I Always thought a compression lock on it would make it that much more perfect. How about keeping the liner lock version around at the same time as a comp lock version??
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:29 pm
That is how I carried it. It would shift position on the pocket during movement eventually giving it enough room to open.
I'll have to see how my PM2 fares in this department then. I'll probably buy a regular Millie next and see which one I prefer.
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

ThomC wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:50 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:29 pm
I'll have to see how my PM2 fares in this department then. I'll probably buy a regular Millie next and see which one I prefer.

I never experienced it on my old PM2s or Para 3s. Just the Para 3 LW. But I've seen reports of it happening on PM2s and Para 3s.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

ThomC wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:
yablanowitz wrote:

Yeah, it would amplify the very things I dislike most about the comp lock. I've been pinched and stung by that tab too many times already to be thrilled with the prospect of a bigger, more acceccible tab.

I haven't had the pinch problem with my Shaman yet either, but I definitely did on my Para 3 LW, Para 3s, and PM2s. Super annoying.
Wouldn't a solution to that be carrying the knife with the back of the blade facing the outer pocket stich ?
No. Me and many others have still had compression lock knives open when carried this way.
:unicorn
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

ThomC wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:
yablanowitz wrote:

I'm excited to see the Military 2, whatever the lock, because its design is what attracted me to Spyderco (though I bought a PM2 for size reasons, wouldn't want to scare customers when I'm flipping a 4" blade to open boxes).
The problem is not with carry, it comes when you open the knife. The lockbar moves outward to overcome the detent, and it can catch flesh between the tab and the handle scale (pinch). Then when the blade opens all the way, that tab snaps over the other way when the lock engages, slapping any flesh in the way (sting). I've had both happen way too many times to love the comp lock. Making the tab larger would make that worse than it already is.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:02 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:19 am
Bill1170 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:12 am
I've never had any issues operating a comp lock lefty or with my thumb?
You are right!
The thumb/comp lock statement was a rather silly and thoughtless one of mine.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

OK... this is big.

Who here thinks the groove in the military to provide access to the liner (lock) is a crucial aspect to the ergonomical success of the military???

WILL the military 2 contain this finger groove even if it has a comp lock?

This is key to the intended grip involving the choil and thumb ramp. Without it, it wouldn't feel like a military. I just realized this while playing with/gripping my military after work.

Don't mind Anubis. He is pushy about playing fetch.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Pelagic, isn't that a great way to accidentally disengage the linerlock? Or are you not worried about it because of your grip on the choil?

I think the relief for the liner lock is unnecessary with the comp lock, but a new one would be added to the backside to accommodate the comp lock.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:40 am
Pelagic, isn't that a great way to accidentally disengage the linerlock? Or are you not worried about it because of your grip on the choil?

I think the relief for the liner lock is unnecessary with the comp lock, but a new one would be added to the backside to accommodate the comp lock.
No, if anything I'm keeping the liner still. That groove feels much better than wrapping your finger around a minimally chamfered corner like that of the pm2.

Isn't it essentially impossible NOT to have a finger in that groove?
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I highly prefer the PM2s grip, no groove there because it's on the back of the knife for the Compression Lock. I never enjoyed that liner lock cutout on the Military, always thought it felt off in my hand.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:07 am
kennethsime wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:40 am
No, if anything I'm keeping the liner still. That groove feels much better than wrapping your finger around a minimally chamfered corner like that of the pm2.

Isn't it essentially impossible NOT to have a finger in that groove?
I am with you on that, I like that groove for the linerlock on the Millie more than the PM2 handle style.
But then, I generally prefer a well made linerlock over a comp.lock anyway.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pelagic wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:42 pm
OK... this is big.

Who here thinks the groove in the military to provide access to the liner (lock) is a crucial aspect to the ergonomical success of the military???

This is key to the intended grip involving the choil and thumb ramp. Without it, it wouldn't feel like a military. I just realized this while playing with/gripping my military after work.

Complete opposite for me. Having handled lefty Militarys I can say the cutout hinders ergonomics for me. This was always one of the reasons I wanted to see a different lock. The handle will feel better for me without that cutout.
:unicorn
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Interesting, guys! This wouldn't be a deal breaker for me or anything. I wouldn't mind what is virtually a pm2 XL, but I certainly like the finger groove when using the choil and thumb ramp simultaneously. I'm interested to hear more yay's or nay's on the finger groove/cutout.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:30 am
Interesting, guys! This wouldn't be a deal breaker for me or anything. I wouldn't mind what is virtually a pm2 XL, but I certainly like the finger groove when using the choil and thumb ramp simultaneously. I'm interested to hear more yay's or nay's on the finger groove/cutout.
I like the PM2 grip so far. Only awkward grip I've found is with the index on the upper choil, the handle might be a tad short, but the rest feels very natural. No problem operating the lock right- or left-handed, I just close it with an opposite pinch (left thumb on the lock).
A Millie is probably next up, in a couple of months, but judging by the ergos of the PM2 that shouldn't be very different.

🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Pelagic wrote:
OK... this is big.

Wait, I'm just realizing the scales on your S110V are black. Did you swap them with the regular version ?
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

ThomC wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:26 am
Pelagic wrote:
OK... this is big.

Wait, I'm just realizing the scales on your S110V are black. Did you swap them with the regular version ?
No, that is just over a year of hard use and how the picture turned out. You can tell by the blade size it's been sharpened probably over 100 times. Scrubbing and magic eraser will make it slightly more purple, but it's certainly much darker than a new one.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

I agree that the handle details on the Military are important to its overall ergonomic excellence. I like the PM2 and in some ways it fits my hands better. I have small hands and always thought the Mili would be too big... until I tried one. The choil and groove make it work, even in winter with heavy gloves.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dogrunner wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:52 am
I agree that the handle details on the Military are important to its overall ergonomic excellence. I like the PM2 and in some ways it fits my hands better. I have small hands and always thought the Mili would be too big... until I tried one. The choil and groove make it work, even in winter with heavy gloves.
That (winter / glove use) combined with the best liner lock I personally ever experienced, is one of the big stengths of the Millie imho!
blues

Post by blues »

It seems that no matter what Sal and company come up with, there will be lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I honestly don't feel a need for an updated military, (but welcome different steels and scales)...however, that said, though I'm a righty it would be nice to make it lefty friendly for our southpaw friends. This way everyone benefits from the "upgrade".

Would it need to be a lockback to achieve parity, or does a compression lock work okay for lefties? I'm happy with pretty much any lock. It's the steel and the pattern I crave.
- Retired from the chase -