Sal, how about a Chaparral with 2.5mm blade thickness?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nativeleek

Sal, how about a Chaparral with 2.5mm blade thickness?

Post by nativeleek »

Hi Sal.

Chaparral is pretty much a perfect EDC folder for gentlemen's carry or for people with small to medium sized hands. The only thing that possibly needs to improve is the thin lock-bar, which may become a hot-spot when being pressed.

A simple way to solve this problem is to make the blade a little thicker, let's say from 2mm to 2.5mm. This will make the lock bar a lot more comfortable to press and also make the blade a little bit stronger, with absolutely no impact on the carriability.

If there is a plan for Chaparral 2, is it possible to make this change happen? Every other thing about Chaparral needs no change. Just make the blade a little thicker and keep everything else the same as the present Chaparral.

Thanks!
Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Native 5, Sage 5, Chaparral, Techno 2, Positron, SpydieChef, Para 3, Lil' Native lockback
Evil D

Re: Sal, how about a Chaparral with 2.5mm blade thickness?

Post by Evil D »

I think most will say go thinner and or if you want thicker get a Sage or Native 5.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome to the forum, nativeleek!

Concerning your idea: I have to be honest, please NO!

Maybe the greatest thing on the Chap is its thin and slicey blade, rather unique even in Spydercos lineup.

A thicker blade and lockbar would also make the handle and the overall closed package thicker.

If you find the lockbar hard to press: Just let the knife break in, or do the easy mod that makes the lockbar less stiff (relocate the spring 2 or 3 mm)

/ And let me say: The Chap is great also for larger hands, it is somehow the "XL hands DFly" imho... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Sounds like you want a Sage.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

nativeleek wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:54 am
Chaparral is pretty much a perfect EDC folder for gentlemen's carry or for people with small to medium sized hands. The only thing that possibly needs to improve is the thin lock-bar, which may become a hot-spot when being pressed.

Depends on whether you're using it as a tool or a toy. I'm 74 and have issues with joint pain in my fingers, yet closing a Chaparral two or three times a day, at odd intervals, after using it, doesn't really bother my hand. OTON, I'll admit it's not the knife I'd want to sit opening and closing repeatedly for a half hour while watching TV. But then autos, and especially DA OTF autos, are more fun for that anyway. :D

Evil D wrote: I think most will say go thinner and or if you want thicker get a Sage or Native 5.

Or even a Delica. :)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

What about a Boye dent?
nativeleek

Post by nativeleek »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:26 am
I think most will say go thinner and or if you want thicker get a Sage or Native 5.
Native 5 is actually one of my favorites, which you can tell from my ID. :)

For my hand size, Chaparral is actually a better choice than Native 5 in some way. I prefer a folding knife with a handle that accommodates all four fingers but does not stick out from my pinky in saber grip because in my eyes this is the smallest necessary closed length for maximum carriability.

Chaparral's extreme thinness does make it an extreme cutting machine, which I do love a lot. However, a handle with such a thin profile does sometimes bother me. Have you ever found that when you hold the knife for closing, sometimes the handle may have a tendency to rotate? If it's a little bit thicker, just a little bit, it will be much easier to hold the handle securely with your thumb on top and pointing finger on bottom.
Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Native 5, Sage 5, Chaparral, Techno 2, Positron, SpydieChef, Para 3, Lil' Native lockback
nativeleek

Post by nativeleek »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:38 am
Welcome to the forum, nativeleek!

Concerning your idea: I have to be honest, please NO!

Maybe the greatest thing on the Chap is its thin and slicey blade, rather unique even in Spydercos lineup.

A thicker blade and lockbar would also make the handle and the overall closed package thicker.

If you find the lockbar hard to press: Just let the knife break in, or do the easy mod that makes the lockbar less stiff (relocate the spring 2 or 3 mm)

/ And let me say: The Chap is great also for larger hands, it is somehow the "XL hands DFly" imho... ;)
Thanks, Wartstein.

Chaparral is definitely one of a kind in Spyderco's lineup. The thin blade not only slices like a champion but also has a very strong tip. I once reversely gripped a Chaparral and thrusted the blade into a hard piece of wood with at least 70% of my arm force. Surprisingly there was no damage to the tip at all. I have always been confident in Spyderco lockbacks and steels they choose, especially premium ones like this CTS-XHP.
nativeleek

Post by nativeleek »

The Deacon wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:43 am
nativeleek wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:54 am

Depends on whether you're using it as a tool or a toy. I'm 74 and have issues with joint pain in my fingers, yet closing a Chaparral two or three times a day, at odd intervals, after using it, doesn't really bother my hand. OTON, I'll admit it's not the knife I'd want to sit opening and closing repeatedly for a half hour while watching TV. But then autos, and especially DA OTF autos, are more fun for that anyway. :D

Evil D wrote: I think most will say go thinner and or if you want thicker get a Sage or Native 5.

Or even a Delica. :)
Thank you, sir.

It sounds very reasonable. Possibly unlike most people, I prefer lockback to any other locking mechanism from Spyderco. I have about twenty spyderco folders and more than half are lockbacks. Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Native 5, Lil' Native lockback, Chaparral, they serve both as a tool and as a toy. :)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I love the 2mm blade of the Chap, and I believe it's the thinnest blade available in Spyderco's catalog.

I say leave it as it is. And maybe add some more 2mm blades to the line up.

While I'm dreaming, I'd take a 2mm Chap in K390. :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Albatross wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:56 am
What about a Boye dent?

As with most things in life, YMMV, but I've found that the two edges of a flat lockbar hurt my thumb joint far less than the four sharp corners on a Boye dent.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Leave it alone!

It's why new BMW cars have gotten softer - people like the idea of the performance, but don't actually like the rawness
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

It's ok to laugh - but.. Wouldn't it be possible to fit a "cobra hood" ...ish thing on the lockbar release? Same width as the handle, or slightly thinner?
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:11 pm
It's ok to laugh - but.. Wouldn't it be possible to fit a "cobra hood" ...ish thing on the lockbar release? Same width as the handle, or slightly thinner?
:p
But seriously: As I said, maybe when the knife is new, the combination of both thin and rather stiff lockbar might be a bit uncomfortable for some fingers (I admit, mine certainly have some callus from climbing and playing guitar). But when the Chap is broken in, I don´t think that should be an issue anymore.
And IF: There´s alyways the "placing the spring more forward mod", which makes the lockbar a lot softer to press (at least that´s what people say, I myself feel no need to do the mod on my particular Chap FRN)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

The Deacon wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:04 am
Albatross wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:56 am
What about a Boye dent?

As with most things in life, YMMV, but I've found that the two edges of a flat lockbar hurt my thumb joint far less than the four sharp corners on a Boye dent.
My experiences with the Boye dent have been more pleasant. Every knife I've held, that had a Boye dent, felt smooth and comfortable, which actually meant I could press harder(if necessary) without any discomfort. As you said, YMMV. We aren't all the same afterall.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Added to my post above:
To the OP (Nativeleek): Just to be clear, I think your idea and question shows that you really think about knives and how they could be even improved, and that´s a very good thing!
But I also think: If you really like everything on the Chap (so also the thin, slicey blade) but solely not the for you uncomfortable lockbar, then making it easier to press the bar is probably the better solution compared to making the whole blade and the whole knife thicker and by that giving up a bit of what makes the Chap so different and great in performance.

Here is a link to a post where you can see how the mod (relocating the spring in order to make the lock "softer") is to be done:

viewtopic.php?t=80687#p1253309
araneae

Post by araneae »

You won't find many in favor of fattening up the Chap. I've got 4 and never saw the lock bar as an issue, but I've seen a couple posts mentioning it, and some find the above mentioned spring tweak remedies that scenario.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

I prefer the thin blade of the chaparral, and would prefer not adding any thickness to the overall package. For something with an easier to operate lockbar, a couple good options are the slightly shorter g10 dragonfly or the slightly longer native.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Is the lock on my Chaparral LW harder to operate than my Delica - yes. Is it so hard that I feel the need to make the blade thicker - NO.

Yes I would like it if it was easier to operate my Chaparral LW's lock, but not at the expense of losing the thin blade.

And to further clarify - this is coming from a man who has no use in his left arm/hand and opens/closes all his knives 1-handed.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:34 pm
And IF: There´s alyways the "placing the spring more forward mod", which makes the lockbar a lot softer to press (at least that´s what people say, I myself feel no need to do the mod on my particular Chap FRN)
It definitely works. You don't have to move it much to make a noticeable difference either

No thicker blade for me please. That thin blade is one of the features that makes the Chaparral what it is.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!