Going against the grain

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dazen

Re: Going against the grain

Post by Dazen »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:11 am
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:55 am
Mushroom wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:22 am
Its okay to collect knives.

Seems like that goes against the grain, for some reason, these days.
Hah I know right, I usually don't even tell people if they ask "what are your hobbies?" Because the looks one gets when one says "I collect knives..." Yikes.
Haha, yep!! I get that at work sometimes. I'm "the knife guy" and there's a few other guys here that like knives, just not on the same level. They don't care about steels, handle materials and such. Some of the guys will joke around "Don't mess with Rick, he's probably got 6 knives on him today"

Nooo guys, actually only 3 :o :p
When you tell someone you collect knives they automatically think you have Excalibur across your mantel!

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Like Dazen, I like heavier knives, my G10 manix2 hand feel is perfect and wish I could swap out my Maxamet lw to get that beefiness to go with that blade. Same way with my ink pens, heavier the better.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Going against the grain flow?

I’m in a back-eddy of dislike for painted blades and laminated blades.

Yet, like all here in back-eddies, I remain in the flow.

Is there a lesson here?
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

Hah I know right, I usually don't even tell people if they ask "what are your hobbies?" Because the looks one gets when one says "I collect knives..." Yikes.
Haha, yep!! I get that at work sometimes. I'm "the knife guy" and there's a few other guys here that like knives, just not on the same level. They don't care about steels, handle materials and such. Some of the guys will joke around "Don't mess with Rick, he's probably got 6 knives on him today"

When their eyes glaze over and pupils dilate, you know they're thinking "serial killer?" or "militant survivalist?" Lol.

I guess my (sorta) against the grain is a lack of concern for edge retention. And trust me, I understand how holding an edge might be very important in various situations, I just don't find myself in those situations often, and when/if I ever do, I've got a nice supply of carbidey alloys to handle things. But generally I value toughness and don't mind touching up often.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:03 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

When their eyes glaze over and pupils dilate, you know they're thinking "serial killer?" or "militant survivalist?" Lol.

I guess my (sorta) against the grain is a lack of concern for edge retention. And trust me, I understand how holding an edge might be very important in various situations, I just don't find myself in those situations often, and when/if I ever do, I've got a nice supply of carbidey alloys to handle things. But generally I value toughness and don't mind touching up often.

Two things you don't talk about at work etc.... Depends on the work environment, but as a general rule....

Knives and guns...

You will be labeled.... ;)
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:07 am
JonLeBlanc wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
JonLeBlanc wrote:

Two things you don't talk about at work etc.... Depends on the work environment, but as a general rule....

Knives and guns...

Or do and enjoy the fact that the really annoying guy at work no longer bothers you.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Albatross wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:18 am
Ankerson wrote:
JonLeBlanc wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Knives and guns...

Or do and enjoy the fact that the really annoying guy at work no longer bothers you.

That's not the one you have to worry about. ;)

It's the higher ups once they get the word....
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:20 am
Albatross wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
JonLeBlanc wrote:

Knives and guns...

There was a guy I used to work with, who made comments about bringing throwing stars to work to throw at a superior. My boss never fired the guy, he was too afraid.
Coffeetron

Post by Coffeetron »

Against the grain:

I remove pocket clips on all folders, they feel unnatural when using the knife
I prefer heavier knives and screw construction handles
I dislike the choil heavy designs
I am not a fan of microscopic sized knives that many seem to enjoy
I prefer liners or titanium scales
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Coffeetron wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:34 am
Against the grain:

Where do you put them, just loose in the pocket?
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
jdw

Post by jdw »

prndltech wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:54 am
Coffeetron wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:34 am
Against the grain:

Where do you put them, just loose in the pocket?
I kind of wonder the same thing?? I replace clips, carry knives in my back pocket, and remove clips on small knives but I don't want a knife hitting me in the 'nads all day.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I routinely carry hand made traditional slip joints with two or three blades. Generally I use leather pocket slips but not always like with my Alox. No clips, holes or studs. Plain old nail marks in 1095 carbon steel. Why? Makes me happy and connected with my grandfathers.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
James Y

Post by James Y »

Oddly enough, almost everybody at my workplace knows I carry knives, including the two bosses/owners, and nobody minds at all. I work in a massage therapy/wellness center, a type of place many knife people might think would have workers who are nervous around someone with knives. Not so with me, because I’ve never made a big deal about it, and only ever brought them out to cut strapping or break down supply boxes, never showing them off. One of the two women who own the business recently joked, “That big tip you got could go towards a nice new knife!” :D

Jim
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

Hahahaha! I get that from my own husband! Last weekend he teased me for carrying both a fixed blade and a folder on a hike. Funny thing was, I thought I was going light that day since the fixed blade was just my little Bow River!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

Ankerson wrote:
Albatross wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
JonLeBlanc wrote:

Knives and guns...

More than a couple people in my office carry concealed firearms. This is permitted, you could say even encouraged, by the management. It's good to live in the south and work for rednecks.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Chumango wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:09 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Albatross wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Knives and guns...

More than a couple people in my office carry concealed firearms. This is permitted, you could say even encouraged, by the management. It's good to live in the south and work for rednecks.

That's why I added "depends on the work environment".

I also live in the South, but believe me not all areas are the same. ;)
Last edited by Ankerson on Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

Albatross wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:15 am
What are your "against the grain" thoughts, beliefs, or preferences?
I guess the point I'm slowly working towards is this; do carpenters go to hammer forums to geek out over new hammers, nails, levels, or tape measures? Do they want the most extreme materials, with custom colors and lightweight materials, sold in limited batches, from specific retailers?

For the first, I don't care for flippers or tip-up carry. Which is clearly against the grain of the industry as a whole since probably 90% of new knives made are flippers and tip-up carry.

For the second, yes, they do. For example, this is more geared towards mechanic (not carpentry) tools, but here's a forum with a tools section: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/

(I found the Garage Journal forum because I picked up an old tool box at a thrift store and was researching it. There's a thread that's over 500 pages just about vintage tool boxes: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/sho ... hp?t=49743)
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

rangefinder wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:14 pm
Albatross wrote:
I guess the point I'm slowly working towards is this; do carpenters go to hammer forums to geek out over new hammers, nails, levels, or tape measures? Do they want the most extreme materials, with custom colors and lightweight materials, sold in limited batches, from specific retailers?

For the first, I don't care for flippers or tip-up carry. Which is clearly against the grain of the industry as a whole since probably 90% of new knives made are flippers and tip-up carry.

For the second, yes, they do. For example, this is more geared towards mechanic (not carpentry) tools, but here's a forum with a tools section: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/

(I found the Garage Journal forum because I picked up an old tool box at a thrift store and was researching it. There's a thread that's over 500 pages just about vintage tool boxes: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/sho ... hp?t=49743)
Can confirm. I have paid over $10,000 for a tool box. Just the box itself. Nothing in it.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
jdw

Post by jdw »

rangefinder wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:14 pm
Albatross wrote:

Thank you. I believe you. 72 posts since 2009? And you wade in to this thread?? I really do believe.
Last edited by jdw on Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:11 pm

That's why I added "depends on the work environment".

I also live in the South, but believe me not all areas are the same. ;)
Yeah, I visit NC from time to time, and the vibe I get is that the research triangle and some areas around Charlotte are not as gun friendly as other parts of the state, and less so than most of TN (though Memphis and Chattanooga are not particularly friendly either.)