What’s with the humps?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fright_Fox
Member
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:07 am

What’s with the humps?

Postby Fright_Fox » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:57 pm

I’m new to spyderco and have a delica an Endura and a police 4. I’ve noticed they all seem to have a reinforced tip, is there a reason they needed to do this on these models? I still love them but I think a military is next.

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 6322
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: What’s with the humps?

Postby Wartstein » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:27 am

Fright_Fox wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:57 pm
I’m new to spyderco and have a delica an Endura and a police 4. I’ve noticed they all seem to have a reinforced tip, is there a reason they needed to do this on these models? I still love them but I think a military is next.
Concerning Delica, Endura: As far as I know, older versions did not have that "spine drop"towards the tip, but then Sal decided to add that feature in order to make the tip a bit less acute and by that a bit stronger (at least that´s what I recall reading somewhere)

But the Police 4 you mention does not have that kind of "drop" towards the tip, or has it (I don´t own a Police)??

I personally really like that a bit stronger Endura tip. For me it is still plenty fine enough, even for tasks like removing ticks from the skin, but I never feel like I could snap it off.
I have to admit: I actually also never snapped off the tip on PM2 or Military, though I am/was always worried a bit about that could happen.
Generally I personally don´t particullary like the combination of rather thick ("hard use") bladestock (3.7 mm) on the one hand and very fine tip these two knives offer on the other hand (but again, that is just me and in fact I never broke a Millie or PM2 tip. However I did /do not carry these models often, just because I prefer the "Endura-family" over the "Military familiy" for various reasons)

The Military is certainly a good choice for your next purchase! An iconic knife everybody should experience. I sold mine for the only reason that it was TOO long in my pocket and the Endura offers almost the same amount of edge in a shorter package. The ergos of the Millie were great though, and I personally preferred its very well done linerlock over the comp.lock of my PM2
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

spyderwolf
Member
Posts: 627
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:22 am
Location: Romania

Re: What’s with the humps?

Postby spyderwolf » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:47 am

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:27 am
Fright_Fox wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:57 pm
I’m new to spyderco and have a delica an Endura and a police 4. I’ve noticed they all seem to have a reinforced tip, is there a reason they needed to do this on these models? I still love them but I think a military is next.
Concerning Delica, Endura: As far as I know, older versions did not have that "spine drop"towards the tip, but then Sal decided to add that feature in order to make the tip a bit less acute and by that a bit stronger (at least that´s what I recall reading somewhere)

But the Police 4 you mention does not have that kind of "drop" towards the tip, or has it (I don´t own a Police)??

I personally really like that a bit stronger Endura tip. For me it is still plenty fine enough, even for tasks like removing ticks from the skin, but I never feel like I could snap it off.
I have to admit: I actually also never snapped off the tip on PM2 or Military, though I am/was always worried a bit about that could happen.
Generally I personally don´t particullary like the combination of rather thick ("hard use") bladestock (3.7 mm) on the one hand and very fine tip these two knives offer on the other hand (but again, that is just me and in fact I never broke a Millie or PM2 tip. However I did /do not carry these models often, just because I prefer the "Endura-family" over the "Military familiy" for various reasons)

The Military is certainly a good choice for your next purchase! An iconic knife everybody should experience. I sold mine for the only reason that it was TOO long in my pocket and the Endura offers almost the same amount of edge in a shorter package. The ergos of the Millie were great though, and I personally preferred its very well done linerlock over the comp.lock of my PM2
Scarry how similar our taste in knife.Must be the strudel i eat in Salzburg 12 years ago :)
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.

User avatar
JonLeBlanc
Member
Posts: 1334
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 8:00 am
Location: Louisiana

Re: What’s with the humps?

Postby JonLeBlanc » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:33 am

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:27 am

But the Police 4 you mention does not have that kind of "drop" towards the tip, or has it (I don´t own a Police)??

It does, I think it's a bit more subtle than the Endura though. You should check out a Police 4 though Gernot, maybe the LW, since you like the Endura and Endela!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara

User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 9291
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: What’s with the humps?

Postby Doc Dan » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:23 am

Have you all seen the phone book stabbing tests to see which of several knives penetrated best? The Endura penetrated the most, and if my brain isn’t malfunctioning, by a large margin.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)


NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 6322
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: What’s with the humps?

Postby Wartstein » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:31 am

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:23 am
Have you all seen the phone book stabbing tests to see which of several knives penetrated best? The Endura penetrated the most, and if my brain isn’t malfunctioning, by a large margin.
I like to hear that!! :)

The Endura still has a rather fine tip indeed! Sure, there is that "drop" towards the tip, but really not much material on the "side" of the tip area, due to the rather thin stock and distal taper on that long blade.
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 9291
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: What’s with the humps?

Postby Doc Dan » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:43 am

https://youtu.be/4Sbhw-5kHnU

Here is one such video.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)


NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

James Y
Member
Posts: 2056
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Southern CA

Re: What’s with the humps?

Postby James Y » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:13 am

I prefer the slight drop/reinforced tip on the Endura/Delica 4. The tips are still very sharp, just not needle-point fine. They also feel better to me and give a bit of leverage while making certain cuts than a tip like on the PM2 or Military. They can still be broken off if you misuse them though, especially in FFG, but it’s less likely than with the super-pointy tips. Though the only tip I’ve ever broken off was on one of my SE Tasman Salts. Yes, H1 is tough, but the extra-fine tips on some models can be broken off fairly easily.

Jim

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 6322
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: What’s with the humps?

Postby Wartstein » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:28 am

spyderwolf wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:47 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:27 am
Fright_Fox wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:57 pm
Concerning Delica, Endura: As far as I know, older versions did not have that "spine drop"towards the tip, but then Sal decided to add that feature in order to make the tip a bit less acute and by that a bit stronger (at least that´s what I recall reading somewhere)

I personally really like that a bit stronger Endura tip. For me it is still plenty fine enough, even for tasks like removing ticks from the skin, but I never feel like I could snap it off.
I have to admit: I actually also never snapped off the tip on PM2 or Military, though I am/was always worried a bit about that could happen.
Generally I personally don´t particullary like the combination of rather thick ("hard use") bladestock (3.7 mm) on the one hand and very fine tip these two knives offer on the other hand (but again, that is just me and in fact I never broke a Millie or PM2 tip. However I did /do not carry these models often, just because I prefer the "Endura-family" over the "Military familiy" for various reasons)

The Military is certainly a good choice for your next purchase! An iconic knife everybody should experience. I sold mine for the only reason that it was TOO long in my pocket and the Endura offers almost the same amount of edge in a shorter package. The ergos of the Millie were great though, and I personally preferred its very well done linerlock over the comp.lock of my PM2
Scarry how similar our taste in knife.Must be the strudel i eat in Salzburg 12 years ago :)

:p :)
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
Pelagic
Member
Posts: 2440
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:49 pm
Location: East Coast/Nomadic

Re: What’s with the humps?

Postby Pelagic » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:47 am

The Endura tip has always been pointy enough for my needs, plenty of penetrating power.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Buddafucco, Cali HogHead, DTPrime, Google [Bot], Granoo Fink, jacala, Oogie, ScottFree, skeeg11, Spydergirl88 and 40 guests