New to the knife scene

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KYCloud9

New to the knife scene

Post by KYCloud9 »

Hey guys,
Over the last few months I’ve really started to get into this knife business. I’ve only bought one so far as I tend to only buy what really peaks my interest and I’m not trying to get a collection started.

I have a question, how many of you buy these Spyderco sprint runs from ebay? I’ve been eye balling the new shaman CRU WEAR and have almost pulled the trigger several times but I find myself holding back on spending $365 on a knife. Can someone tell me if that is just the way it is or is there a better way to get ahold of these sprint runs. There are no knife stores around me that get sprints so I’m relegated to being Johnny on the spot with online sales.
embry386

Re: New to the knife scene

Post by embry386 »

Hello and welcome to the knife scene! :)

eBay is a bit iffy when it comes to the more popular models -- there are fake Polices and Enduras on there, for example (made in China with low-quality steel and unauthorized by Spyderco). But AFAIK no one bothers to clone the sprint runs (usually), so you should be pretty safe buying the Shaman there.

And yeah, it can be hard to get ahold of a sprint! If you can't find the one you want on eBay, try a knife subforum on Reddit or some other knife trading/selling forum. Might get a better price there too...

Good luck!
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Welcome to the Forum and the knife collecting fun! I carried the same Swiss Army Knife for 32 years, and then got into the collecting end of things. Pardon the pun but it's a Spyderhole...no one can buy just one! 😁
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It really depends on how much you like this model. In the long run I think this knife will pull in more than they're currently being sold for on eBay, but there are also more Shaman sprints coming out, one of which is supposed to be very similar to this one.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Hi KYCloud,

Welcome to our forum.

The Cruwear Micarta is a bit of anomoly in that we didn't make near enough. Our bad. So they can be hard to find, expensive, or impossible to find.

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

That shaman is a nice knife. However I don’t buy very many sprint runs, only a few, and never off of eBay. You don’t know what you’re going to get and many people have been ripped off. Always buy from an authorized Spyderco dealer.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Don't let missing out on sprint runs bog you down. There are long time collectors here that go after sprint runs and they miss out. BUT! They like the system the way that it is. It seems set up for insiders here on Spyderco Forums. You have to know what online shops are going to be moving the merchandise. And you have to park on their website 5 to 10 minutes before the sale starts. Even then, you might miss out.

I do not chase sprint runs. Instead I've called for an online custom shop where specialized knives (running for a limited time with special steels) could be ordered over a six month to one year period. Of course none of the "insiders" want that.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Welcome to the forum! I've paid double (or more) for a couple of knives that I really wanted from Ebay, they were either discontinued or exclusives that were sold out. It's a little crazy but if it's something you really want go for it, otherwise they'll be more down the road.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

For me the question is, would you actually feel good about using a knife that you pay nearly $400 for on the secondary market (ebay, swap and sell forums, etc)? Personally, I would constantly worry about losing or damaging such an expensive knife, and it'd probably end up sitting in my drawer or safe. But other people might be fine using and loving it, especially if it's "the one" they've always wanted.

As others have mentioned, there will be another run of a nearly identical micarta Shaman, hopefully within a year. And we also know there are several other upcoming Shaman sprints that sound great, too. So if you can wait, you can save yourself some money, and use those savings to buy even more spydercos! ;)

As for sprints in general, pay attention to the forum here - you'll always get a heads up when sprints or exclusives are releasing, and where you can find them.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Welcome!

I want you to open your wallet and look at it... see that? It’ll never be that full ever again.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum and the hobby KYcloud9!

As others have said, there are pitfalls to be carefully avoided in using eBay for knife buying. However there won't be any worries about fake Cru-Wear Shamans for awhile if ever.

That particular knife retailed for $208 I believe. Only you can really decide if paying a $150 markup is worth it. Of course, there aren't any more being made of that exact configuration, so if you really want it then go for it.

As far as other sprints go, a good strategy is to watch the forum here for tips and in-stock notifications. (Do not rely on the dealer's email notification sign-up. Invariably, the email gets sent long after the handful of knives have sold out.)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

KYCloud9 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:47 pm
.....and I’m not trying to get a collection started.
Yeah...a few years ago I said that too! :)

Welcome KYCloud9. There's a wonderful group of people here from all over the globe. I'm sure sure you'll enjoy your time here
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Welcome! There is nothing quite like chasing sprints and grails... There is also nothing quite like realizing you spent too much money.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

KYCloud9 wrote:
Hey guys,
Over the last few months I’ve really started to get into this knife business.
Welcome to the forum and the "knife scene" :)

Maybe you´re aware of that anyway, but there will be (at least) one more Micarta handle sprint of the Shaman, though not in Cruwear, but another steel (see here for example viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85268).
So if you´re not particulary only want the Micarta / Cruwear combo: Just watch the forum a bit, and try to get the next Micarta-sprint right when it comes out from an authorized Spyderco dealer
(There is even a rather recent poll somewhere on this forum where you could express your wishes concerning steel).

Generally the Shaman is a great design, and an ergonomic masterpiece imho. But that you could also discover with the base model in G10 and S30V (though Micarta is really nice, no doubt).

I know, you clearly stated you would "not want to start a collection" and only "buy what really peaks our interest", but you also said, you´re "new to the knife scene".
So, just as a suggestion, and to find out what really interests you or what you really like: For the 365 you say you pay for the Shaman sprint, you could also get (from an authorized dealer) for example the G10 Shaman AND a Native Chief (if you like larger knives generally). Or a Caribbean and a Native Chief or Police or Manix XL.
Then you could experience two knives instead of one, find out if for exempla you prefer comp.lock, backlock or CBBL, fnger choil or not, thicker or thinner stock, more neutral or more shaped handle,and so on... and sell the knife you like less eventually.

And, tbh: I have a feeling that it will go this way anyway... ;)
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I buy from ebay, but I've only spent more than $200 on a knife once. I don't buy from shameless flippers that nearly double the retail price. $365 is absolutely nuts IMO. But ebay in general isn't bad. Just stick to reputable sellers that have coherent descriptions and good pictures. I buy used knives mostly. You'll have to wait a while for prices on new models to come down. They might do a rerun of that Shaman. I'd look into that before paying $365.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:54 pm
KYCloud9 wrote:
.....and I’m not trying to get a collection started.
Yeah...a few years ago I said that too! :)

Welcome KYCloud9. There's a wonderful group of people here from all over the globe. I'm sure sure you'll enjoy your time here
Haha, count me in on this too! Came here to ask a question about a Manix I bought...now a few thousand dollars later, here I am :p

Welcome aboard KY! Pretty impressive knife to go after for your first Spyderco. I have to agree with most, the prices you see for it on eBay right now are a bit outrageous...but, we also don't know what your bank account looks like! I would hold off if I was relegated to those prices, especially if you plan on using it but don't want it scrapped up because that can happen fairly easily.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
standy99

Post by standy99 »

If you stick around here you will become in the know when a sprint is coming up. That way you can sign up for notification from the dealers.

I myself have recently got a GITD Delica ( I thought I had missed out ) due to following the thread here and hearing when a member posted about a website I had never visited before had some available.

I myself would use $365 to get two available models instead
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Hank Scorpio

Post by Hank Scorpio »

KYCloud9 wrote:
Hey guys,
Over the last few months I’ve really started to get into this knife business. I’ve only bought one so far as I tend to only buy what really peaks my interest and I’m not trying to get a collection started.
Out of curiosity, what was the knife you started with?

Stick around on the forums long enough and you’ll not only be apprised of the sprint game, but you’ll run the risk of becoming an afi, with strong thoughts on blade steel, sharpening, handle material, locks, thickness behind the edge, edge type, edge geometry, liners, washers, pivot bushings, etc etc. :D :D
Currently enjoying the most pocket time:
:spyder: Sage 5 FRN, Watu :spyder:
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Knives can be unexpected for personal reasons. Imagine buying that knife and finding out, it’s too big for you. Bigger than you expected. Or maybe too fat in the pocket. Or maybe you don’t like how the pocket clip works or where the thumb hole is. Maybe you live in a humid environment and non-stainless steels are not so good for you. Could be a minor thing, but maybe a different knife is better for you. That’s a lot to put into one knife when you don’t know if you even like this model or if something isn’t right for you. I recently asked if I should get a serrated shaman or serrated Caribbean. More people said Caribbean. Just saying, expensive might not be better.
A.S.O.K.A

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

If you really want the knife, and people can vouche for the seller, then just go for it. There's alot of knife collectors that have their knives sitting in a drawer, box, or safe that almost never see the light of day let alone see any use because of its value. But there are still quite a few out there that will use their $2000 Turzuola or $3000 Barker without thinking twice because thats how they choose to enjoy it. Its all about what your comfortable with. You really want it, and the seller is legit, just do it and dont look for others to make the decision for you. Its your money, use it how you want.
Every Steel Has Its Appeal :cool:

A.S.O.K.A Edge on Youtube