What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:18 am

This Spartan is a pretty cool knife for $15. Might replace my Micra.
But no scissors, right?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:00 am
But no scissors, right?
Right, no scissors on the spartan.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

bbturbodad wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:36 pm
He lives in Austria. Yes when I lived in Switzerland there were many Tyrolean style buildings although we just called them chalets :D

Vail, CO is modeled the same way and only about 90 minutes away from Spyderco ;)
Such a beautiful area of Europe! I lived in CO for 10 years and went to Vail a few times - I must have been paying attention to the snowboarding and not the architecture, though!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:20 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:02 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:23 am
Is that where you live?? What a cool house! I remember seeing homes and buildings in that style in Switzerland, but I've never seen them in U.S.
It is not the house I personally live in. I would absolutely want to, concerning the "cozy home living ambience", but not the maintenance going on with such an old house (several hundred years old) - or any house... (don´t get me wrong, I like doing work with my hands, but I just prefer to spend my free time (off work) out in the mountains, and not doing stuff on a house constantly... ;) )

It´s just one of the typical old farm houses I pass by at first when going on a shorter mountain trail run.

I personally like to see how it looks like where other forum members live or what they do, so I sometimes "make the background larger and the knife smaller" in my pics... ;)

Can remember for example a pic of your Shaman in some garden (?) with an old shed in the background. I liked that a lot!

And yes, farmhouses in Austria, southern Germany and many parts of Switzerland look a lot the same.

When have you been to Switzerland?
And since you have already been there, why didn´t you cross the border to visit beautiful Austria too??!! :mad: ... :p ;)
(AND: We have even better knife-laws here than in Switzerland. As far as I know, in both countries you can carry any folder you like, except in Switzerland automatics can´t have a blade longer than 5 cm, in Austria there is no limit even for autos...;) )
bbturbodad wrote: He lives in Austria. Yes when I lived in Switzerland there were many Tyrolean style buildings although we just called them chalets :D

Vail, CO is modeled the same way and only about 90 minutes away from Spyderco ;)
When did you live in Switzerland?

And: I am sure Vail is nice (and I would love to go there for backcountry / powder skiing), but I doubt that their houses are several hundred years old... ;)
I spent a long summer in Europe over 15 years ago...I traveled all over for a month, then spent about 3 months living with friends in Spain and Greece. I did visit Germany, Czech Republic, and then Switzerland - we had planned to visit Vienna, but I remember all the youth hostels were full at the time, and we had very little money, so couldn't afford a real hotel. We decided to move ahead to Switzerland since we didn't have camping gear. I also missed Venice that way, and was very disappointed by both!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

IMG_20191115_085548.jpg
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:20 pm

When did you live in Switzerland?

And: I am sure Vail is nice (and I would love to go there for backcountry / powder skiing), but I doubt that their houses are several hundred years old... ;)
I lived there for a couple years in the late 80's.

Yes I'm older than most of the buildings in Vail lol. I just looked online and Vail looks much newer than I remember it... Starting to feel old :p
-Turbo
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The mighty Shaman! I have quickly grown to absolutely love this model. Now I can't wait to get home to his brother that's currently in the mailbox!! :D :D :D

Resized_20191115_143330.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

^ Nice!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Hawkbill Ladybug :D
🐞🦅
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Crow2012

Post by Crow2012 »

22309.jpeg
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Starting for a nightly long mountain run with the Pac Salt

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Very full pockets for this half day of work...overkill, yes...awesomeness...definitely! :cool:
Resized_20191116_093919.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearfacedkiller

Old school geophone. Basically a stethoscope for the ground that is used to locate broken or leaking water lines. Doing some deep cleaning at work and finding some cool stuff. :)

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:55 am
Old school geophone. Basically a stethoscope for the ground that is used to locate broken or leaking water lines. Doing some deep cleaning at work and finding some cool stuff. :)

That thing is cool :cool:, Darby! Have you tested it? :p
bearfacedkiller

Enactive wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:57 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
It definitely still works and it actually works pretty well. They make much better modern electronic geophones though. Leak detection is actually a pretty big thing, there are lots of different gadgets for it and there are lots companies that do it for a fee.
-Darby
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:04 am
Enactive wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:57 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
It definitely still works and it actually works pretty well. They make much better modern electronic geophones though. Leak detection is actually a pretty big thing, there are lots of different gadgets for it and there are lots companies that do it for a fee.
Cool, thanks. I find utilities quite interesting. Years ago i worked in hazard mitigation planning and lots of that involved critical infrastructure including water supply.

The NYC water supply is crazy vulnerable without redundancies... you may know all about it. They draw lots from the Dacks.

From other various troubleshooting and repairs I've worked on, I can imagine that chasing water leaks can be pretty darn tough depending on circumstances.

Good weekend to ya!
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Tools for the day
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

IMAG3740.jpg