Randall 1-7 - Review is done

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ankerson

Randall 1-7 - Review is done

Post by Ankerson »

Was checking the edge after I sharpened it getting ready to start the process. Looks like I lowered the edge angle some when I 1st sharpened it. Saw some very minor rolling after chopping. Still sliced phone book paper so it was very minor. So I just increased it some back to were it needs to be, should be fine now.

Review is here:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/ran ... 7.1695906/

It is .020" behind the edge, thinner than MOST folders....

Image750_2536 by Jim Ankerson, on Flickr
Last edited by Ankerson on Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tims

Re: Randall 1-7 - The process begins.

Post by Tims »

Sure is pretty.

What do you make of their 440B? From what I’ve read it’s run at 55-56

I found this interesting from their website:

A special high carbon (1.00%) stainless steel not obtainable in ordinary knives. The same stainless steel specified by NASA for knives used by Gemini astronauts. Immune to the effects of saltwater. Designated with an S.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Tims wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:35 am
Sure is pretty.

What do you make of their 440B? From what I’ve read it’s run at 55-56

I found this interesting from their website:

A special high carbon (1.00%) stainless steel not obtainable in ordinary knives. The same stainless steel specified by NASA for knives used by Gemini astronauts. Immune to the effects of saltwater. Designated with an S.
Easy to sharpen, very aggressive edge, very aggressive.
benben

Post by benben »

Yep, great pic, love the grain of the handle in this shot! I'm curious too what you think about their 440B?

Man you're on fire aren't you.......a Winkler and a Randall basically a week apart, are you married? ;)
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

benben wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:33 am
Yep, great pic, love the grain of the handle in this shot! I'm curious too what you think about their 440B?

Man you're on fire aren't you.......a Winkler and a Randall basically a week apart, are you married? ;)

Not for a very long time… ;)
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Figures if anyone would actually use a Randall it would be you.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

VashHash wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:08 am
Figures if anyone would actually use a Randall it would be you.

It's just a knife to me. ;)

I did miss my old one I had back in the 80's though, although this one has more options than my old did.

A lot of Randell's get used, a lot of them over the past 80 years...
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Yeah it's just not something you see on the forums. Feels like they're mostly in the hands of collectors now. I wouldn't mind putting one through its paces.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

VashHash wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:03 pm
Yeah it's just not something you see on the forums. Feels like they're mostly in the hands of collectors now. I wouldn't mind putting one through its paces.

I think all the people who use them/used them are still out there plus more.

There is a Randall users group on FB as an example.

I am sure there are many more and a lot of them aren't active on Social Media or the forums etc.

Sure, there are people who collect them also.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

That's a good looking knife! The 1-7 has spawned more than a few copies and inspired many others. That is the one that started my liking large fixed blade utility/fighting knives but to this day I have never had the original. I am a big fan of O1 and do like forged knives.

I'm not surprised that Jim will actually use his. I'd be more surprised if he didn't use it and treat it like any of his other knives which can mean hard use if appropriate.

Jim, do you look at that knife differently from the way you would have 25 years ago? Has all that learning and experience stopped you from looking at a knife and just liking it like the young man you were?

It hasn't me. I still geek out like a big kid over large , shiny , sharp cool looking knives just like when I was 18. :)

Joe
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Mastiff wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:41 pm
That's a good looking knife! The 1-7 has spawned more than a few copies and inspired many others. That is the one that started my liking large fixed blade utility/fighting knives but to this day I have never had the original. I am a big fan of O1 and do like forged knives.

I'm not surprised that Jim will actually use his. I'd be more surprised if he didn't use it and treat it like any of his other knives which can mean hard use if appropriate.

Jim, do you look at that knife differently from the way you would have 25 years ago? Has all that learning and experience stopped you from looking at a knife and just liking it like the young man you were?

It hasn't me. I still geek out like a big kid over large , shiny , sharp cool looking knives just like when I was 18. :)

Joe

Joe,

I look at it the same. :D

I think I have more respect for it today than I did when I was in my 20's. Back then I really didn't know as much as I do today and didn't have the mountains of knives that I tested under my belt.

The one I had back then was a 1-7 also, just in O1 steel, brass guards and leather handle, just the base model with no options.

This one is MUCH nicer with nice options and in stainless.

You can really see the work that goes into making one of these, they are all hand made forged knives. :cool:

One has to respect the work and the craftmanship that goes into them I think.

I do have a Model 16 Special Fighter (Stainless) and Model 14 Attack (O1) on order.

Will be about a year for the Model 16 Special Fighter and over 5 years for the Model 14.

When I hold the Model 1 in my hand I can really see and feel what the knife is all about and why it's legendary.

You know you can order one from Randall and pay for over the 5 1/2 years current wait time. It works out to like $6 - $10 a month depending on the final price/options etc.

And you can pay monthly or weekly on their site, make payments however you want.

Just a $50 down payment and order it.

One interesting thing, the Randall is lighter than the Province. :eek:

11.1 oz vs 11.9 oz

Jim
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

They're available time to time on ag Russell without the wait, just not necessarily how you'd like them
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »