Spyderco/Murray Carter Kitchen Knife Collaboration.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
swigert
Member
Posts: 1865
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:31 pm

Re: Spyderco/Murray Carter Kitchen Knife Collaboration.

Postby swigert » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:50 pm

They need to come with a sayas.

User avatar
captnvegtble
Member
Posts: 954
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Spyderco/Murray Carter Kitchen Knife Collaboration.

Postby captnvegtble » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:27 pm

swigert wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:50 pm
They need to come with a sayas.
I agree. I just bought one of the Gyutos and I was thinking the same thing.

Sal, do you know if there is a plan to offer a saya in the future perhaps?

N. Brian Huegel
Member
Posts: 174
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Country Knives - Intercourse, PA USA
Contact:

Re: Spyderco/Murray Carter Kitchen Knife Collaboration.

Postby N. Brian Huegel » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:12 pm


fixall
Member
Posts: 385
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:45 am

Re: Spyderco/Murray Carter Kitchen Knife Collaboration.

Postby fixall » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:51 pm

A little bit of a bummer today... Cutlery and More accidentally sent me the 7.5" Bunka Bocho instead of the 9.5" Gyuto I ordered. :(

On the plus side, they were super easy to work with and the exchange should happen really quickly.

So far the Bunka seems (can't use it obviously, lol) like a phenomenal kitchen knife! Like really phenomenal! Super, super thin behind the edge with a perfect distal taper. It has great area to choke up on behind the blade with a fantastic handle (I was originally worried the handle would be too big for my small hands). Fit and finish is divine.

I can already tell that the Gyuto will likely be my daily driver and will be kicking some knives out of the kitchen.

Image

Image

hmr
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:27 am

Re: Spyderco/Murray Carter Kitchen Knife Collaboration.

Postby hmr » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:41 pm

Pelagic wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:04 am
That's a severe oversimplification, admittedly, but the guy acts like toughness is the end all be all when it comes to blade attributes. He deals with and loves a lot of 52100, which is a great steel, but he's so dead set in his ways that he doesn't care to expand his horizons. He tends to look at any of his failures or setbacks and write them off as someone else's fault.
Murray deals with and loves Shirogami #1 (White Steel) or Aogami Super YSS (Super Blue), he doesn't use 52100.

source: used to work for the guy for three years

VashHash
Member
Posts: 3918
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:49 pm
Location: Louisiana

Re: Spyderco/Murray Carter Kitchen Knife Collaboration.

Postby VashHash » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:23 pm

That's a very nice piece of cutlery.

User avatar
Cambertree
Member
Posts: 1356
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:48 am
Location: Victoria, Australia

Re: Spyderco/Murray Carter Kitchen Knife Collaboration.

Postby Cambertree » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:35 am

I'm haven't looked into these knives too closely, as I'm well fixed for nice handforged Japanese kitchen knives.

One thing I'm curious about though is, are these knives Kata-ha (chisel) ground or 50/50? It's hard to tell from the photos, but the ones I've seen look 50/50 ground, which is good news for leftys.

Regarding the bladesmithing process, Japanese bladesmiths forge in large batches as Hmr said. The master often does the forging and heat treatment, and apprentices or other specialists usually grind, sharpen and fit handles to the knives. They don't make one knife at a time from start to finish like modern Western custom knifemakers.

Checking my notes from when I was in Japan in 2014, Kenichi Shiraki in Sakai, who Murray regards as one of the finest Japanese bladesmiths, puts out 2000 knives from his shop per month. He works at breakneck speed, a master at the peak of his craft, but he's the only one doing the forging of those knives. At the same time, others will be prepping the knives with clay for heat treatment, and grinding and sharpening knives. Then they are sold to a middleman who will have handles fitted to them and sayas made.

Another maker of sickles (kama), Mr Tsurumaki in Sanjo, who does most of the processes by himself, said he makes around 50 kama every three days, about 5000 a year in total.

I had no reason to think they were lying, after watching their work and seeing their shops, nor would I presume Murray is lying or exaggerating. I know Murray, and he takes pride in his business and promotes it accordingly. He also has a kind of 'public persona' which he uses to do this, and which is maybe a little different to how he is in person. Maybe some of us would act differently in that position, but I wouldn't call him 'arrogant'.

User avatar
The Deacon
Member
Posts: 25373
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Upstate SC, USA
Contact:

Re: Spyderco/Murray Carter Kitchen Knife Collaboration.

Postby The Deacon » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:38 pm

They are beautiful looking knives. Guess I should be glad they're carbon steel because, if they were stainless, my bank account would be down by about $1300.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

User avatar
bearfacedkiller
Member
Posts: 9908
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: hiding in the woods...

Re: Spyderco/Murray Carter Kitchen Knife Collaboration.

Postby bearfacedkiller » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:15 pm

The Deacon wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:38 pm
They are beautiful looking knives. Guess I should be glad they're carbon steel because, if they were stainless, my bank account would be down by about $1300.
They are making them in BD1N as well. ;) Sorry about you wallet. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

User avatar
JonLeBlanc
Member
Posts: 1394
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 8:00 am
Location: Louisiana

Re: Spyderco/Murray Carter Kitchen Knife Collaboration.

Postby JonLeBlanc » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:30 pm

They sure look beautiful!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara

User avatar
The Deacon
Member
Posts: 25373
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Upstate SC, USA
Contact:

Re: Spyderco/Murray Carter Kitchen Knife Collaboration.

Postby The Deacon » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:59 pm

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:15 pm
They are making them in BD1N as well. ;) Sorry about you wallet. :)

Guessing that will be one or both of the less expensive versions with plainer looking handles. So yes, the wallet will take a hit, just not as big a hit. :)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

fixall
Member
Posts: 385
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:45 am

Re: Spyderco/Murray Carter Kitchen Knife Collaboration.

Postby fixall » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:06 pm

Cambertree wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:35 am
I'm haven't looked into these knives too closely, as I'm well fixed for nice handforged Japanese kitchen knives.

One thing I'm curious about though is, are these knives Kata-ha (chisel) ground or 50/50? It's hard to tell from the photos, but the ones I've seen look 50/50 ground, which is good news for leftys.

Regarding the bladesmithing process, Japanese bladesmiths forge in large batches as Hmr said. The master often does the forging and heat treatment, and apprentices or other specialists usually grind, sharpen and fit handles to the knives. They don't make one knife at a time from start to finish like modern Western custom knifemakers.

Checking my notes from when I was in Japan in 2014, Kenichi Shiraki in Sakai, who Murray regards as one of the finest Japanese bladesmiths, puts out 2000 knives from his shop per month. He works at breakneck speed, a master at the peak of his craft, but he's the only one doing the forging of those knives. At the same time, others will be prepping the knives with clay for heat treatment, and grinding and sharpening knives. Then they are sold to a middleman who will have handles fitted to them and sayas made.

Another maker of sickles (kama), Mr Tsurumaki in Sanjo, who does most of the processes by himself, said he makes around 50 kama every three days, about 5000 a year in total.

I had no reason to think they were lying, after watching their work and seeing their shops, nor would I presume Murray is lying or exaggerating. I know Murray, and he takes pride in his business and promotes it accordingly. He also has a kind of 'public persona' which he uses to do this, and which is maybe a little different to how he is in person. Maybe some of us would act differently in that position, but I wouldn't call him 'arrogant'.
It's definitely a 50/50 grind.

User avatar
Cambertree
Member
Posts: 1356
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:48 am
Location: Victoria, Australia

Re: Spyderco/Murray Carter Kitchen Knife Collaboration.

Postby Cambertree » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:07 pm

fixall wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:06 pm
It's definitely a 50/50 grind.
Thanks. That's very cool for us leftys, I'm glad they didn't forget about us, that's a nice touch.

I guess if they release patterns like the Deba, those will have to be chisel ground, but at least the basic kitchen workhorses like the nakiri, gyuto, funayuki and bunka will be ambidextrous.

I get most of my work done with a nakiri and a funayuki. My petty knife, yanagiba and deba only get used occasionally.

User avatar
captnvegtble
Member
Posts: 954
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Spyderco/Murray Carter Kitchen Knife Collaboration.

Postby captnvegtble » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:38 pm

fixall wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:51 pm
A little bit of a bummer today... Cutlery and More accidentally sent me the 7.5" Bunka Bocho instead of the 9.5" Gyuto I ordered. :(

On the plus side, they were super easy to work with and the exchange should happen really quickly.

So far the Bunka seems (can't use it obviously, lol) like a phenomenal kitchen knife! Like really phenomenal! Super, super thin behind the edge with a perfect distal taper. It has great area to choke up on behind the blade with a fantastic handle (I was originally worried the handle would be too big for my small hands). Fit and finish is divine.

I can already tell that the Gyuto will likely be my daily driver and will be kicking some knives out of the kitchen.

Image

Image
I just got my knife in the mail. They did the exact same with me. Looks like they mis-labeled their Gyutos as Bunkas. It is an very well crafted knife with amazing fit-and-finish. Obviously I can't comment on it's cutting ability yet since I'm waiting to be sent the right knife, but it's Aogami Super Blue... I'm sure it cuts like a laser.

fixall
Member
Posts: 385
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:45 am

Re: Spyderco/Murray Carter Kitchen Knife Collaboration.

Postby fixall » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:01 pm

I've had my Gyuto for about a week now and it's every bit as good as I hoped it would be. :D

Super slicey with an awesome grind. A great handle and balance... And it's light enough that my wife feels comfortable using it (I think that's a good thing?). I'm very pleased with this purchase and can't wait to put it to work over the holidays!

.48mm behind the edge in the rear.
Image

.40mm behind the edge towards the tip.
Image


Image


Image


And freshly oiled, next to a Zwilling/Kramer 7" 52100 Santoku. :D
Image

User avatar
captnvegtble
Member
Posts: 954
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Spyderco/Murray Carter Kitchen Knife Collaboration.

Postby captnvegtble » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:37 pm

fixall wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:01 pm
I've had my Gyuto for about a week now and it's every bit as good as I hoped it would be. :D

Super slicey with an awesome grind. A great handle and balance... And it's light enough that my wife feels comfortable using it (I think that's a good thing?). I'm very pleased with this purchase and can't wait to put it to work over the holidays!
Awesome! Thanks for the pictures. I got mine in the mail, but then gave it to my significant other to wrap for me for Christmas, so I won't experience the joy until after X-mas. I just couldn't pass up the 20% off.

User avatar
Cambertree
Member
Posts: 1356
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:48 am
Location: Victoria, Australia

Re: Spyderco/Murray Carter Kitchen Knife Collaboration.

Postby Cambertree » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:40 am

Thanks Fixall! That's a great pair of knives. And I bet the Gyuto will safely go even thinner, if you sharpen it that way in time.

Congratulations!

User avatar
Dazen
Member
Posts: 766
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:38 am
Location: Texas U.S.A. Earth

Re: Spyderco/Murray Carter Kitchen Knife Collaboration.

Postby Dazen » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:25 am

The black G10 BD1N versions are now available at the SFO.

N. Brian Huegel
Member
Posts: 174
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Country Knives - Intercourse, PA USA
Contact:

Re: Spyderco/Murray Carter Kitchen Knife Collaboration.

Postby N. Brian Huegel » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:50 am

FYI: Here is a video that Alton Brown posted on Twitter yesterday that includes his commentary about the Carter knives he owns.

https://twitter.com/altonbrown/status/1 ... gr%5Etweet

brian

GarageBoy
Member
Posts: 1485
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:49 pm
Location: Brooklyn NY

Re: Spyderco/Murray Carter Kitchen Knife Collaboration.

Postby GarageBoy » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:41 pm

Anyone else using these?

Side note - is there such thing as high end Western style chef's knives? More sabatier-k or wusthof but with steel that isn't 54hrc


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Craiger12, darkjabroni, Jurphaas, Majestic-12 [Bot], Wright.88 and 56 guests