Caribbean Scales: Love, or Hate?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What say you, Spyderpeople, do you love the Caribbean's scales, or do you hate them?

I love them!
35%
I hate them.
65%

Total votes: 72

Cambertree

Re: Caribbean Scales: Love, or Hate?

Post by Cambertree »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:54 am
Cambertree wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:40 am
Bought one after Evil D reminded me that it's easy enough to change the colour.

The place I went to didn't have the 'Graphite' synthetic fabric RIT dye, so this is another brand in 'Gunmetal'.

That looks really good. I may go full black with mine, the yellow is already starting to show through. I just realized all black reminds me of the Citadel, this knife is the manual version of the Citadel that I've asked for in the past. Black dye here I come.
Thanks. Yeah, it's a slightly lighter charcoal kind of shade than full black, so it still has that cool two-tone look in the sunlight. But it's not as distinct as yours.

Did you use normal RIT dye or the synthetic fabric dye? I use the dye for synthetic fabrics and it seems to 'hold' quite well.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cambertree wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:13 am

Thanks. Yeah, it's a slightly lighter charcoal kind of shade than full black, so it still has that cool two-tone look in the sunlight. But it's not as distinct as yours.

Did you use normal RIT dye or the synthetic fabric dye? I use the dye for synthetic fabrics and it seems to 'hold' quite well.

I also used synthetic. What's odd is mine is fading on the end that sticks out of my pocket. I expected it to wear inside my pocket or maybe under the clip where my pants are always rubbing it.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:53 am
I also used synthetic. What's odd is mine is fading on the end that sticks out of my pocket. I expected it to wear inside my pocket or maybe under the clip where my pants are always rubbing it.

Huh, that's strange. Oh well, gives you the opportunity to try a different blacker dye, I guess.

I don't want to run this thread off the rails again, but ever since seeing your Wharny style regrind, I've been curious how thin the spine is as it tapers down to the tip. If you could post a pic in this or another thread, I'd be obliged. I'm thinking of getting a SE Caribbean and unsure as to whether to go for another leaf blade or mod a sheepsfoot like yours. Thinner spine is preferable to me.

Thanks. :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cambertree wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:02 am
Evil D wrote:

Huh, that's strange. Oh well, gives you the opportunity to try a different blacker dye, I guess.

I don't want to run this thread off the rails again, but ever since seeing your Wharny style regrind, I've been curious how thin the spine is as it tapers down to the tip. If you could post a pic in this or another thread, I'd be obliged. I'm thinking of getting a SE Caribbean and unsure as to whether to go for another leaf blade or mod a sheepsfoot like yours. Thinner spine is preferable to me.

Thanks. :)

I'll get a side by side shot tonight when I have both with me. I'm pretty sure they're about the same.
~David
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Evil D wrote:
Cambertree wrote:

The Salt 2 on my pocket has been dyed and it shows the exact same phenomenon as yours. The corners around the back lock and the part that stick out of the pocket show the most wear.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Done
Last edited by BLUETYPEII on Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Done
Last edited by BLUETYPEII on Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

mayong wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:23 pm
Cilantro. Crocs. The Dallas Cowboys. French fries and mayo. Boondock Saints. The Caribbean's scales.

Either you love them, or you hate them -- there is no middle ground. Which is it?!
Sorry, but: For ME there actually IS a middle ground... :o ;)
I´d be just ok with them colorwise (don´t own a Caribbean). No love, no hate
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:44 pm
mayong wrote:
Cilantro. Crocs. The Dallas Cowboys. French fries and mayo. Boondock Saints. The Caribbean's scales.

Either you love them, or you hate them -- there is no middle ground. Which is it?!
A moderate viewpoint about the Caribbean’s scales?! Heresy :mad: !

More seriously, I love the scales, though they look more like a tropical fish than a bumblebee to me. I just ordered another Caribbean Leaf this morning, serrated this time. Also ordered a Shredded CF Kizer Gemini to see if I can learn to love a linerlock. Might eventually be enough to convince me to try a Military.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Evil D wrote:
Cambertree wrote:

I wonder if that might have to do with that end being exposed to sunlight?

Jim
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mattysc42 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:19 pm
Wartstein wrote:
mayong wrote:

More seriously, I love the scales, though they look more like a tropical fish than a bumblebee to me. I just ordered another Caribbean Leaf this morning, serrated this time. Also ordered a Shredded CF Kizer Gemini to see if I can learn to love a linerlock. Might eventually be enough to convince me to try a Military.
There´s a good chance I´d LOVE the scales too, as soon as I got a Caribbean in my hands ;) (have only seen it on depictions, there is abslutely no store where I live that would carry any Spyderco, and I don´t know anyone personally who is into folders deep enough to pay more than lets say 30 Euros for a knife... :( )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:24 pm
Mattysc42 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
mayong wrote:

There´s a good chance I´d LOVE the scales too, as soon as I got a Caribbean in my hands ;) (have only seen it on depictions, there is abslutely no store where I live that would carry any Spyderco, and I don´t know anyone personally who is into folders deep enough to pay more than lets say 30 Euros for a knife... :( )
Next time you go to Budapest you can check it out. There are plenty on knife shops that carry Spydercos. Usually they don't have the latest models as soon as they're out but eventually they arrive.
Coffeetron

Post by Coffeetron »

tonijedi wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:16 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:24 pm
Mattysc42 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Next time you go to Budapest you can check it out. There are plenty on knife shops that carry Spydercos. Usually they don't have the latest models as soon as they're out but eventually they arrive.
Doesn't have to be this far, there are shops in Vienna (Lorenzi for example) or Bratislava as well. Also, prepare to see Spyderco priced at MSRP :D
~ 250 ish $ for a plain Jane PM2 in S30V
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

James Y wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:18 pm
I wonder if that might have to do with that end being exposed to sunlight?

Jim

Could be, I do work outside at times. It's likely a mix of sun and wear since everything brushes against that part sticking out of my pocket. I'm still a bit surprised that other parts of the handle aren't worn too but maybe life inside a pants pocket is much gentler than we realize.
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Don't love 'em, but don't hate (or even dislike) 'em either. For me, when it comes to G-10, anything's better than peel-ply. Not a fan of the Caribbean, but if Spyderco offered a Stretch 2 (or, better yet, a Stretch 1), a Sage 4,a Chaparral, a Caly 3.5. or even a Native 5 with that same black/yellow machined G-10, I'd definitely buy one.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
mayong

Post by mayong »

Cambertree wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:40 am

Ahem, I love the Caribbean scales, the bumblebee colour didn't really fit my needs though.

Bought one after Evil D reminded me that it's easy enough to change the colour.

Yours and Evil's look awesome. I've been avoiding the Caribbean solely because the colors are too loud. I like a subtle knife. Ergos 10/10, bumblebee coloring 2/10.
Police | Calypso | Caly 3 & 3.5 | PM 2 | Para 3 | UKPK | Endura | Dragonfly | Sage 2 | Sage 5

"While this test doesn't simulate any logical use of a knife as a tool, since it was a concern of some of our customers, we began incorporating it into our testing protocols." - Michael Janich
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I have always been "meh" on the look of the scales. In context as a nautical knife it makes lots of sense to me.

For my use, I would dye if I bought one. I like the look of both Evil's and Camber's.

I haven't had a chance to handle one. I suspect if I get one I would reduce the hook at the butt of the handle.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Enactive wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:07 pm
I haven't had a chance to handle one. I suspect if I get one I would reduce the hook at the butt of the handle.
this is my only substantial beef with this knife. if it had a similar design as the manix 2 at the butt of the handle, i would buy a pe leaf and se sheepsfoot immediately and they would probably dethrone my manix and pacific salt as my favorite knives.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:31 pm
Enactive wrote:
this is my only substantial beef with this knife. if it had a similar design as the manix 2 at the butt of the handle, i would buy a pe leaf and se sheepsfoot immediately and they would probably dethrone my manix and pacific salt as my favorite knives.
I know the liner limits how much can be neatly removed. The Manix butt is so much narrower, so I don't think you could match it without doing a hack job.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Enactive wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:35 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:31 pm
Enactive wrote:
I know the liner limits how much can be neatly removed. The Manix butt is so much narrower, so I don't think you could match it without doing a hack job.

At some point you'll also run the risk of exposing the tip of the blade when closed.
~David