Caribbean Scales: Love, or Hate?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What say you, Spyderpeople, do you love the Caribbean's scales, or do you hate them?

I love them!
35%
I hate them.
65%

Total votes: 72

steelcity16

Re: Caribbean Scales: Love, or Hate?

Post by steelcity16 »

Jazz wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:29 pm
Vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:39 pm
If that was a backlock it'd be one of my main EDC's. The ergos are great and I love the FFG LC200N blade.

We can dream, bro. Sal, please make us a back lock. :o

This. Anything along the lines of a Carribean/Tenacious Backlock LW Salt is good with me.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

wasn’t this a discussion about handle scales? why does the backlock brigade feel the need to remind us all that they are terrified of detents in every thread about knives with a compression lock? almost every salt folder besides this one is a backlock. some of us happen to like the compression lock.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:20 pm
wasn’t this a discussion about handle scales? why does the backlock brigade feel the need to remind us all that they are terrified of detents in every thread about knives with a compression lock? almost every salt folder besides this one is a backlock. some of us happen to like the compression lock.
Hey Bug, everyone knows back locks are the best and strongest knife locks known to man. It’s been proven they are the quickest and easiest locks to open and close one handed which is of utmost importance in a pocket knife used to peel apples, cut sandwiches and open mail. Over time they develop vertical play but that doesn’t matter because they have a bias towards closing and staying closed except for the odd one that will open in your pocket anyhow.

Other locks like the liner lock for example are no good, very weak and you could easily loose your fingers or worse attempting to cut tougher sandwiches with crusty bread or thick meat cuts and not recommended for serious hard use like opening EBay packages. They should be outlawed because they can easily open in your pocket in a 100m hurdle race, a hard physical workout on a treadmill or if you’re prone to cartwheeling down the street.

Anyhow, hope this helps. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:41 pm

Other locks like the liner lock for example are no good, very weak and you could easily loose your fingers or worse attempting to cut tougher sandwiches with crusty bread or thick meat cuts and not recommended for serious hard use like opening EBay packages. They should be outlawed because they can easily open in your pocket in a 100m hurdle race, a hard physical workout on a treadmill or if you’re prone to cartwheeling down the street.

viewtopic.php?p=1360559#p1360559

:rolleyes:
:unicorn
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:00 pm
viewtopic.php?p=1360559#p1360559

True Story, Vivi!

How many back locks also opened in other peoples pockets? :)
vivi

Post by vivi »

I dunno. I've never seen anyone on the forum say they never do. Have you?
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Bloke wrote:
ladybug93 wrote:
Hey Bug, everyone knows back locks are the best and strongest knife locks known to man. It’s been proven they are the quickest and easiest locks to open and close one handed which is of utmost importance in a pocket knife used to peel apples, cut sandwiches and open mail. Over time they develop vertical play but that doesn’t matter because they have a bias towards closing and staying closed except for the odd one that will open in your pocket anyhow.

hahahaha!!! thanks for your insight.

i have a handful of spyderco backlocks, but only because they are salts and corrosion resistance is important to me. however, if i just wanted a backlock because i like backlocks, i’d probably be using cold steel’s triad lock instead of a spyderco backlock. just being honest. the triad lock feels much more secure and sturdy than any of my spyderco backlocks.
the cbbl and compression lock are much more sturdy than the backlocks when the knife is open. it just so happens, that’s when i’m most worried about safety. when my knife is in my pocket, the blade is always against the back of my pocket where it can’t open. i don’t know what these other jokers are doing.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:35 pm
Bloke wrote:
ladybug93 wrote:

hahahaha!!! thanks for your insight.

i have a handful of spyderco backlocks, but only because they are salts and corrosion resistance is important to me. however, if i just wanted a backlock because i like backlocks, i’d probably be using cold steel’s triad lock instead of a spyderco backlock. just being honest. the triad lock feels much more secure and sturdy than any of my spyderco backlocks.
the cbbl and compression lock are much more sturdy than the backlocks when the knife is open. it just so happens, that’s when i’m most worried about safety. when my knife is in my pocket, the blade is always against the back of my pocket where it can’t open. i don’t know what these other jokers are doing.
I guess ya missed all the reports from me and other "jokers" where we carried knives against the seam of our pockets and still had them open

I'll never understand people like you and bloke making fun of people who had a knife malfunction. Weird response to an honest problem Bloke himself has even experienced.

The Triad lock is awesome, but they don't make a 3oz opening hole based folder that's rust proof last I checked :)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:00 am
I'll never understand people like you and bloke making fun of people who had a knife malfunction. Weird response to an honest problem Bloke himself has even experienced.
Hey Vivi, lets swing over to: viewtopic.php?p=1360559#p1360559
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Vivi wrote:
i’m just being playful. sorry if i came across as a jerk.

i had my yojimbo open a little against the back of my pocket. it was just enough to snag my pants and cut them a tiny bit. there’s really no chance it would’ve cut me because i don’t grab the knife by the blade to pull it out of my pocket. i can’t even get to the blade because it’s against the back of my pocket. the only concern at the time was that i wouldn’t want it to snag if i ever needed the knife for defense.

anyway, i don’t deny that it happens, but i don’t see how people cut themselves if their knife blade is against the edge of the pocket. and, like i said, i’m personally more worried about how the lock performs when open than when closed.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:29 am
Vivi wrote:

i had my yojimbo open a little against the back of my pocket. it was just enough to snag my pants and cut them a tiny bit. there’s really no chance it would’ve cut me because i don’t grab the knife by the blade to pull it out of my pocket. i can’t even get to the blade because it’s against the back of my pocket. the only concern at the time was that i wouldn’t want it to snag if i ever needed the knife for defense.

anyway, i don’t deny that it happens, but i don’t see how people cut themselves if their knife blade is against the edge of the pocket. and, like i said, i’m personally more worried about how the lock performs when open than when closed.

Then you should go with a backlock maybe... :D
If you don´t believe me, than maybe a guy by the name of Eric Glesser :)
see the linked vid (https://youtu.be/ScWvTKq ... e=youtu.be), starting at about 3:40: Beside emphasizing the advantages the backlock has in self closing, Eric especially talks about how this locktype is great especially for big knives / long blades (where there is a lot of leverage on the lock),cause it is a very STRONG and still "one of the best in the world"...

https://youtu.be/ScWvTKq ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by Wartstein on Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Right on :)

The Chinook and Manix (Original lockback versions) broke Spydercos lock strength testing machine.

I think it's safe to say Spyderco knows how to make a good lockback.

I'll go on record saying I've never had issues with any Spyderco or Byrd staying open. Liner locks, frame locks, both ball lock variants....even their slipjoints have never closed unexpectedly on me.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:50 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:29 am
Vivi wrote:

Then you should go with a backlock maybe... :D
If you don´t believe me, than maybe a guy by the name of Eric Glesser :)
see the linked vid (https://youtu.be/ScWvTKq ... e=youtu.be), starting at about 3:40: Beside emphasizing the advantages the backlock has in self closing, Eric especially talks about how this locktype is great especially for big knives / long blades (where there is a lot of leverage on the lock),cause it is a very STRONG and still "one of the best in the world...

https://youtu.be/ScWvTKq ... e=youtu.be
my pacific salt (not knocking it... i still love it) and dragonfly salt (and even my native salt with the native 5’s ever-praised backlock) are less stable than my manix 2 lw, or yojimbo 2, or recon one, or tuff lite, etc. when open. or maybe my anecdotal evidence about the stability of different lock types isn’t as valuable as your anecdotal evidence of compression locks being dangerous when folded and stowed in a pocket?

the video justifying the use of backlocks is fine. backlocks don’t bother me for the most part. i have some and like them just fine. but there is a reason spyderco didn’t just settle with the backlock instead of continuing to innovate and there is a probably reason why most of their higher end and popular models have compression locks (and it’s not just because people like fidgeting with their knives).
Vivi wrote: Image

Right on :)

The Chinook and Manix (Original lockback versions) broke Spydercos lock strength testing machine.

I think it's safe to say Spyderco knows how to make a good lockback.

I'll go on record saying I've never had issues with any Spyderco or Byrd staying open. Liner locks, frame locks, both ball lock variants....even their slipjoints have never closed unexpectedly on me.
i don’t disagree with you that they work just fine. but however adequate, they are definitely not as sturdy in use as any other lock type i’ve used. i’ll admit the native salt is close, but still not as sturdy as other locks.

remember when this thread was about caribbean handle scales instead of the virtue of various lock types?
current collection:
spyderco steels:
vivi

Post by vivi »

You're going on a tanget as much as we are ;)

Subtle play does not make a lock insecure. My D2 Military had worse vertical play than any lockback I've owned from Spyderco but the lock never failed to keep the knife open. My Para 2 developed vertical play worse than my Police 3, 4 and 4 LW....never failed to stay open.

It's very rare to hear of a Spyderco lock of any sort failing to keep a knife open. It's more common to see reports of issues with detent based locks keeping a knife closed.

The compression lock, as implemented on the Szabo Folder, is a thing of beauty. I wish I wasn't the only person in the world that felt that way. Comp locks with a self close are AWESOME!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Compression locks are better than Backlocks. FACT!

Backlocks are better than Frame locks.

Frame locks are better than Liner locks.

CBBLs like to touch tots and should be imprisoned...
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:48 am
CBBL did not kill itself.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:51 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:48 am
CBBL did not kill itself.
Hehe. But if it did, it would make sure the cameras were down first!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:10 am
Hahaha, I had to lol at that. :D ;)

Ahem, I love the Caribbean scales, the bumblebee colour didn't really fit my needs though.

Bought one after Evil D reminded me that it's easy enough to change the colour.

The place I went to didn't have the 'Graphite' synthetic fabric RIT dye, so this is another brand in 'Gunmetal'.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cambertree wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:40 am
Evil D wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:10 am
Hahaha, I had to lol at that. :D ;)

Ahem, I love the Caribbean scales, the bumblebee colour didn't really fit my needs though.

Bought one after Evil D reminded me that it's easy enough to change the colour.

The place I went to didn't have the 'Graphite' synthetic fabric RIT dye, so this is another brand in 'Gunmetal'.

That looks really good. I may go full black with mine, the yellow is already starting to show through. I just realized all black reminds me of the Citadel, this knife is the manual version of the Citadel that I've asked for in the past. Black dye here I come.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David