What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Crow2012

Re: What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Post by Crow2012 »

22151.jpeg
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

T-1000 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:11 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:51 am
T-1000 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:07 pm
How do specifically the Shaman serrations work for you?
Just recently I found out how great most Spydetedge-blades really are, and if I get a Shaman, it could very well be in SE...
Honestly the serrations on the shaman take it to another level. I had a plain edged shaman that I sold and got the SE version and couldn’t be happier. It takes an already very capable blade and turns it into a freaking toothy hard use monster that feels like it could through anything. Especially when combined with the hefty and solid feel of the shaman. I really think this knife is meant to have them.
I absolutely believe you! :)
I pesonally also like the still good amount of PE towards the tip, just like it is on the Endela SE
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Resized_20191112_103536.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

HAP40 Stretch and finally rotated out the Ti Squarehead for the McBee!

-Nick :bug-red
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Winter is coming...

- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'm not carrying a knife today :( I feel naked.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:15 pm
Traveling? I felt that way when I flew to Florida for 4 days. :(
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Horrible isn't it? That was me a couple days ago.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The Meat man wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:
prndltech wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:23 pm
new job, at some job sites there is strict security. Metal detector, xray, take off your belt and shoes kind of stuff.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Had to go into town this morning so I went a lil classy today.
-Turbo
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:32 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:39 am
Vivi wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:06 am
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:38 am

Don´t know how it comes that I never looked into this model (the Street Beat) in detail,when in fact it might be what I always wanted Spyderco to produce.

Vivi, may I ask:

You know from some chats we had that my go to small fixed blade is the White River Backpacker Pro (see pic below). It is somehow just an a bit larger Esee Izula 2 (the latter is a bit too shortbladed for me, and I prefer the S30V (now S35VN) of the White River over the 1095 in such a small knife).

Now: Do you think, the street beat could be the (better?) "Spyderco option" roughly in that size class?

The White River has an overall (CARRY) length of 7.00, the Street beat of 7.18; still, the Street Beat offers a blade of 3.5, the White River of only 3.0
Weight is practically the same (Street Beat even a tad lighter).

My concerns though would be: I have to baton the White River backpacker a lot. Would the handle of the Street beat hold up to this (tang not exposed!)? And how pronounced is the swedge on the Spine (too sharp being bad for batoning and imho generally for an utility (and not SD-) knife?
Plus: Knives with such a deep inde finger grrove tend to be unstable in the hand when doing for example whittling of harder wood. How is this with the Street Beat?

As much as I like my Street Beat I think it's a knife that can fill the role that you're looking for VS one designed specifically for that role. The handle shape is never going to be as comfortable as say a Mora 511 for long term wood carving. But it's perfectly good for making a couple of feather sticks and breaking apart small chunks of fatwood.

I can't honestly say whether you'd like it better than the Backpacker. Both are ergonomic, well made, have nice sheaths and are a pretty similar size. The Spyderco is a bit lighter, a little cheaper VS the micarta scaled backpacker, has a tougher blade steel and if you like the handle there's a larger version to compliment it with.

The Backpacker is one of the models I've looked at for the same role. It has the micarta scales I prefer and a great looking overall design, but the steel selection and sharpening notch made me second guess the purchase. I may still try one someday.
Thanks for your reply!

Yes, for longer wood carving I´d also take my trusty Mora companion (the regular one, not the imho unnecessary thick heavy duty) or my Enzo Trapper ffg (with Austrian steel! (N690') :) )

/
I am sure you´d like the White River Backpacker!
Though the Micarta scale version of it is called "Caper" as far as I know and more expensive. Should be great in hand, cause, well,Micarta, and very countoured and rounded off one. Possible downside: I think you can´t remove the scales for carrying the knife "naked" or with a Paracord wrap

I have the G10 version, this scales are screwed on, and for some time I had them removed and carried the knife with just a "paracord-handle".
Like you I´d REALLY wish there was no sharpening choil and the blade came, though really sharp, thinner behind the edge from the factory.

But the Street Beat looks great... and though I do like S30V (my backpacker is from before they switched to S35VN), I perhaps prefer VG10 for that kind of knife
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

The PM2, which replaced the Delica I was packing earlier.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:49 pm
The Meat man wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:
prndltech wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:23 pm
new job, at some job sites there is strict security. Metal detector, xray, take off your belt and shoes kind of stuff.
Ugh. My condolences. If I can’t trust someone with a knife, I can’t trust them. I assume that’s what “they” think of me too. So there’s somewhere else I need to be.
vivi

Post by vivi »

P4LW during the day, switched to my Street Beat for the evening. Leatherman Micra too of course.

prndltech wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:17 am
How's your hawkbill adventure going?

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:13 pm
Vivi wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:32 pm
I can't honestly say whether you'd like it better than the Backpacker. Both are ergonomic, well made, have nice sheaths and are a pretty similar size. The Spyderco is a bit lighter, a little cheaper VS the micarta scaled backpacker, has a tougher blade steel and if you like the handle there's a larger version to compliment it with.

The Backpacker is one of the models I've looked at for the same role. It has the micarta scales I prefer and a great looking overall design, but the steel selection and sharpening notch made me second guess the purchase. I may still try one someday.
Thanks for your reply!

Yes, for longer wood carving I´d also take my trusty Mora companion (the regular one, not the imho unnecessary thick heavy duty) or my Enzo Trapper ffg (with Austrian steel! (N690') :) )

/
I am sure you´d like the White River Backpacker!
Though the Micarta scale version of it is called "Caper" as far as I know and more expensive. Should be great in hand, cause, well,Micarta, and very countoured and rounded off one. Possible downside: I think you can´t remove the scales for carrying the knife "naked" or with a Paracord wrap

I have the G10 version, this scales are screwed on, and for some time I had them removed and carried the knife with just a "paracord-handle".
Like you I´d REALLY wish there was no sharpening choil and the blade came, though really sharp, thinner behind the edge from the factory.

But the Street Beat looks great... and though I do like S30V (my backpacker is from before they switched to S35VN), I perhaps prefer VG10 for that kind of knife
You know, I haven't used my Moras in ages, been using different Spyderco and ESEE fixed blades lately. After having fun messing around with Opinels lately I decided to touch up my carbon Mora 511 and throw it in my pack for my next hike. I've always enjoyed them but the sheaths make me want to carry something else. Spoiled by the Spyderco G clip. I'm going to order some kydex and a G-clip and come up with something fancier. I have a couple 511's so it'll be nice having a real sheath to use.
:unicorn
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:16 pm
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85271

My goal is to keep it updated till the new year, periodically. Answer questions if I can, etc...

I don’t use my pocket knives for food prep... usually...

For most of the “edc” tasks I’ve come across, I ain’t found nothin it doesn’t honestly do better at than a more traditional blade shape. I’m only 5-6 days in of hawkbills only and I find the blade shape attractive which might just be because it’s something different. I’m not sure if I’m out of the honeymoon phase yet or not.... but I haven’t found myself restricted by it, as I said before it seems to do most tasks BETTER.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
vivi

Post by vivi »

prndltech wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:26 pm
Vivi wrote:

For most of the “edc” tasks I’ve come across, I ain’t found nothin it doesn’t honestly do better at than a more traditional blade shape. I’m only 5 days in of hawkbills only and I find the blade shape attractive which might just be because it’s something different. I’m not sure if I’m out of the honeymoon phase yet or not.... but I haven’t found myself restricted by it, as I said before it seems to do most tasks BETTER.
I tried to open mail once with my SE Spyderhawk and it gave me a strong wrong tool for the job vibe :D

Other than that and food prep I really like them for general utility too. They're perfect for opening boxes and clamshells with the tip pointing down the way it does.

Which size is your favorite so far? I've thought about the Ladybug many times as a coin pocket knife, but everytime I handle one the ergos don't quite work for me. Shame, seems like a handy little knife.
:unicorn
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:29 pm
prndltech wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:26 pm
Vivi wrote:

For most of the “edc” tasks I’ve come across, I ain’t found nothin it doesn’t honestly do better at than a more traditional blade shape. I’m only 5 days in of hawkbills only and I find the blade shape attractive which might just be because it’s something different. I’m not sure if I’m out of the honeymoon phase yet or not.... but I haven’t found myself restricted by it, as I said before it seems to do most tasks BETTER.
I tried to open mail once with my SE Spyderhawk and it gave me a strong wrong tool for the job vibe :D

Other than that and food prep I really like them for general utility too. They're perfect for opening boxes and clamshells with the tip pointing down the way it does.

Which size is your favorite so far? I've thought about the Ladybug many times as a coin pocket knife, but everytime I handle one the ergos don't quite work for me. Shame, seems like a handy little knife.
I haven’t carried used the ladybug much. The Tasman seems to be in the pocket most. Especially at work... but there’s something about the dragonfly. I miss it, when carrying the Tasman. I haven’t carried the SpyderHawk yet so I can’t speak on that.

I don’t think there’s anything the dragonfly HB can’t do that I do with the Tasman, but my mentality is if you can legally carry a bigger knife why wouldn’t you? I can carry whatever I want at work or anywhere else... so I think part of the reason the Tasman hogs the pocket when I leave the house is because “ a bigger knife can do things a smaller knife can’t”

But I’ve carried the D-fly solo and love it. Like I said... there’s just something about it. I love(d) my orange plain jane d-fly... and I think this beats it out... may have to do a FRN swap ;)
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006