SE Shaman or Caribbean?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SF Native

SE Shaman or Caribbean?

Post by SF Native »

Ok, crucarta didn’t happen but was thinking I should try the Shaman. Sure, there are other sprints and exclusives coming but why not try the serrated version? It would make a good yin to the yang of a future sprint, right?
But if I’m going to go with a nice serrated blade, shouldn’t I just get the Caribbean?
Thoughts?
ladybug93

Re: SE Shaman or Caribbean?

Post by ladybug93 »

i have a bias against the shaman, so i’d say sheepsfoot caribbean if you were looking for a se blade. sheepsfoot for use as a rescue tool as well as utility blade.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
BLM

Post by BLM »

I would say if you want just a serrated Caribbean the shaman in my opinion is better without bug that’s just me
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

That really is a tough one. I think the shaman is a better design but the caribbean is really good and is a salt. I have also been thinking lately that I wish I had gotten my sheepsfoot caribbean in se instead of pe.

How badly do you need a salt? After this I think it depends on which blade shape for the caribbean you want. If its se leaf shape caribbean vs se leaf/spear shaman. Then I would say shaman. If its se sheepsfoot caribbean vs se shaman then I say flip a coin.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The Caribbean beats the Shaman in every aspect.

Can't go wrong with a Caribbean in any configuration.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Get a Caribbean if you can get over those scales. It's the only thing holding me back. There will be more Micarta Shamans, more Cruwear Shamans, etc.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Monty

Post by Monty »

I have both and like them both. You get more cutting edge with the Caribbean...that's a big plus for the weight. I'd say if you need corrosion resistance, get the Caribbean, if you like choils, get the Shaman. Do buy $4 of Rit dye if you get the Caribbean, it's much more pleasing without the bumblebee look.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have both. They are two of my top 5 Sal designs. A challenging environment favors the Caribbean. Otherwise, either is fine for folder work, and it all boils down to what pleases your hand and eye.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I think it largely comes down to whether you want a 50/50 choil or more cutting edge? Do you ever want to carry tip down?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I love both but I have to go with the Caribbean. Both are very good at what they do but I have a couple preferences that sway me towards the Caribbean..

1) Choil vs no choil. I do like the way the Shaman feels ON the choil, but it doesn't feel quite as natural behind the choil for me so I can't see myself using it that way so the idea of multiple grip options is lost on me. Because I'd just assume use the choil as my standard grip, I'd rather the grip were 100% on the handle and the blade gain cutting edge.

2) Edge to handle closeness. Despite the fact that I'd use the choil on the Shaman as my standard grip, which puts my finger right next to the edge, I prefer having a bit of handle between my finger and the material I'm cutting. The Caribbean grip creates a nice guard/guide for material to slide along when making deep cuts. On the Shaman that contact area is my finger which isn't ideal.

3) Edge length. It isn't a lot but every bit counts. Since I don't really have a need for the choil, it's wasted space. The fact that I get Military blade length in a Para 2 sized package is a big win for the Caribbean.

Now, the Shaman does have two things I really wish the Caribbean had, like a more round handle and no thumb ramp. Those are the first two changes I'd make to the Caribbean if I had the power to do so.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

I sold my PE shaman and got the SE shaman and I freakin love it. To me the serrations on this knife just take it over the top in terms of performance, and the plain edge just doesn’t take full advantage of the potential of the design. I really feel like the se shaman is one of if not THE most capable Spyderco out there. But it’s not popular it seems so better get one while you can.
I mean look at this beautiful beast!
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Both, just decide which one to buy first!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
anycal

Post by anycal »

I don't have either, but held them both at SFO, and the Shaman on one other separate occasion.

Independent of the edge type, two things I remember specifically based on my brief encounter. Even with the the extra weight, the Shaman felt smaller than I expected. On the other hand, the Caribbean felt and carried slimmer than what the specs on paper indicated.

Between the two, I thought I would own the Caribbean first... until all the Shaman Micarta was introduced... which I had no luck getting. Sitting them both out for now.
Peter
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Caribbean because no choil, longer edge.