K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Post by ZrowsN1s »

For my work in IT removal/installation, besides opening tons of boxes and packaging... cutting zip ties off of bundles of wire and removing tape from bundles of wires without cutting the wires is one of my most common tasks. Small hawkbills are almost the only suitable tool for the job.

It's also worth mentioning a lot of job sites I work at frown on, or do not allow, large knives. A delica would be too big. Making a Dragonfly the ideal work knife.

Even opening the boxes and packaging. Being able to make shallow pull cuts makes the job easier, and insurers you won't cut any of the package or box contents. For boxes, packaging, and zipties there is nothing better in my opinion.

A K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly, plain edge with liners would be a dream work knife for me. G-10, Carbon Fiber, Micarta, heck wood... that doesn't matter to me, I just want it to have liners and PE K390.

So how about it? Any takers?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
TomAiello

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Post by TomAiello »

Any Dragonfly in K390 would be an instant buy for me. In multiples. If it came both standard and HB, I'd buy both for sure.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

So you are suggesting a Denim Micarta K390 Dragonfly Hawkbill?? Sign me up!! :)

I assume they couud just use the G10 Dragonfly platform and slap Micarta scales on it.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Not sure if you get to wear jeans for your job, but denim micarta would be nice to blend into your jeans.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I want it in SE but yeah, I’m in. Love my d-fly hawkbill.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:15 pm
So you are suggesting a Denim Micarta K390 Dragonfly Hawkbill?? Sign me up!! :)
Add me to the list!
-Turbo
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I'd take a few K390 PE dragonfly hawkbills.

Linerless frn would be fine with me.
I have the g10 linered dragonfly and find no benefit over the frn version, so it's unnecessarily heavy to me.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

jpm2 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:44 pm
I'd take a few K390 SEdragonfly hawkbills.

Linerless frn would be fine with me.
I have the g10 linered dragonfly and find no benefit over the frn version, so it's unnecessarily heavy to me.
I fixed it for you :D

I agree on the liners. On a dragonfly I prefer the liner less FRN. I sold the g10 d-fly for this reason.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

This would be very appealing!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Why Stop at the DragonFly HAWK ???? It's about time for a Harpy or Spyderhawk with a supersteel blade. Actually it's past due in my opinion.

I've got to admit that I am still surprised at how well that the Little Hawkbills have taken off. But I'm sure that trend will trickle up to the bigger Hawkbills before too long.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:03 pm
... It's about time for a Harpy or Spyderhawk with a supersteel blade. Actually it's past due in my opinion.....
What “super steel” would possibly do better in the SpyderHawk (or any other hawk for that matter) than SE H1?

I’m also in the camp of what would you want a PE hawkbill for?

I ask because I’ve seen your threads here, as well as BladeForums over the years asking the same question ;)
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

prndltech wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:10 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
... It's about time for a Harpy or Spyderhawk with a supersteel blade. Actually it's past due in my opinion.....
What “super steel” would possibly do better in the SpyderHawk (or any other hawk for that matter) than SE H1?

I ask because I’ve seen your threads here, as well as BladeForums over the years asking the same question ;)

My H1 SE Spyderhawk is one I will never get rid of. I'm thinking a PE would better for those precision pull cuts through the tape of bundled wires, or even the outer sheathing of romex house wiring. I'm also thinking it would work better than SE on zip ties. I've never had a PE though. A K390 one sound good in theory, but I would be slightly concerned about the tip breaking off due to the high hardness. :confused:
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:32 pm
My H1 SE Spyderhawk is one I will never get rid of. I'm thinking a PE would better for those precision pull cuts through the tape of bundled wires, or even the outer sheathing of romex house wiring. I'm also thinking it would work better than SE on zip ties. I've never had a PE though. A K390 one sound good in theory, but I would be slightly concerned about the tip breaking off due to the high hardness. :confused:
No way plastics would be stronger than a steel knife blade.
SE works fine for precision cuts. It’s a common misconception... the teeth aren’t angled outward like they are on a saw, where you have to account for the removal of material.

SE H1 is hard to beat period. And sounds about perfect for your uses.

I do similar things with mine in the automotive industry. Zip ties and getting into wire harnesses without damaging things is a necessity
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

I think its a great idea. I would prefer SE, but would also buy a PE. Spyderco takes lots of risks, but I wish they would make Hawkbills and and SE Hwakbills with exotic metals more.
Justin
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

prndltech wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

First off I've been saying for about the past two years that PE Hawkbills just don't have the usefulness of SE Hawkbills. But if anyone can tell me any advantages that PE hawkbills have I'm all ears at this point. I have some Spyderco PE Hawkbills but rarely ever use any of them for anything. I would like one of the higher performing steels in a Hawkbill for two reasons. Because many of the jobs I end up using them for are rough jobs. Also in an SE Hawkbill you may not have to sharpen them nearly as much. As far as H-1 goes I'll take the LC200N over that steel any day of the week. Also I might give PE Hawkbills another chance if I could get one in like M390 or S110V. I'm thinking they would hold an edge better and might be more aggressive.

But what the heck I guess you would go to supersteels for many of the same reasons you would with any of Spyderco's models.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:08 am
prndltech wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

First off I've been saying for about the past two years that PE Hawkbills just don't have the usefulness of SE Hawkbills. But if anyone can tell me any advantages that PE hawkbills have I'm all ears at this point. I have some Spyderco PE Hawkbills but rarely ever use any of them for anything. I would like one of the higher performing steels in a Hawkbill for two reasons. Because many of the jobs I end up using them for are rough jobs. Also in an SE Hawkbill you may not have to sharpen them nearly as much. As far as H-1 goes I'll take the LC200N over that steel any day of the week. Also I might give PE Hawkbills another chance if I could get one in like M390 or S110V. I'm thinking they would hold an edge better and might be more aggressive.

But what the heck I guess you would go to supersteels for many of the same reasons you would with any of Spyderco's models.
Good point... I’m liking the idea more now that I think about it
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

prndltech wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:49 pm

Zip ties can do some edge damage, especially the thicker ones. And If you are doing pull cuts on thick zip ties with a high hardness blade, the outward pressure you are putting on the tip as you finish your cut could be enough to shear the tip off. Maybe not with H1, but K390 being a harder steel i would be a little concerned.
sok

Post by sok »

Would be my first Hawkbill.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I'd be in for one.
--Jeremy
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:26 am
prndltech wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:49 pm

Zip ties can do some edge damage, especially the thicker ones. And If you are doing pull cuts on thick zip ties with a high hardness blade, the outward pressure you are putting on the tip as you finish your cut could be enough to shear the tip off. Maybe not with H1, but K390 being a harder steel i would be a little concerned.
Not gonna say it can’t happen, but I haven’t experienced it... I also don’t have a lot of experience with super high hardness steels. I sure would be dissatisfied and disappointed if my knife couldn’t cut a zip tie.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006