P'Kal vs. Yojimbo vs. Chinook

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bloke

Re: P'Kal vs. Yojimbo vs. Chinook

Post by Bloke »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:15 am
unfold your gun
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:56 pm
Vivi wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:15 am
unfold your gun
It's a shame they never made that gun. Really cool design.
Iole

Post by Iole »

Been reading books by Maija Soderholm. I don't study her styles but see martial wisdom in her thinking.

Image-1.jpg
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

No disrespect intended at all. But I've got a model I think I would put up against the those 3 mentioned. My pick for SD is the C-60 Massad Ayoob model.
I've had both of the Yojimbo models and two of the Chinook models. The P"Kal just never did anything for me. Now all of those knives are well made but I just love the ergos of the C-60 Ayoob model for SE. The handle is so ergonomic and controllable and easy to keep in your hand. It's also easy to deploy as well.
The G-10 Sprint Run of the C-60 is the better of the ones that have been made. For me it's not even close.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:51 am
No disrespect intended at all. But I've got a model I think I would put up against the those 3 mentioned. My pick for SD is the C-60 Massad Ayoob model.
I've had both of the Yojimbo models and two of the Chinook models. The P"Kal just never did anything for me. Now all of those knives are well made but I just love the ergos of the C-60 Ayoob model for SE. The handle is so ergonomic and controllable and easy to keep in your hand. It's also easy to deploy as well.
The G-10 Sprint Run of the C-60 is the better of the ones that have been made. For me it's not even close.
The Ayoob is a great one! It would be my pick from a folder until the Yojumbo comes out.

For a fixed blade, I'd have to stick with my Street Beat. Seconded by the Swick. Perrin is probably my designer of choice for fixed defensive blades. It would be really easy to mess a bad guy's day up with one of those, before they even realized what happened.

This is all theoretical. In the real world, I'm either legging it or shooting you a few times in the chest.
99.999999% : 0.0000009%
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:17 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:51 am
The Ayoob is a great one! It would be my pick from a folder until the Yojumbo comes out.

For a fixed blade, I'd have to stick with my Street Beat. Seconded by the Swick. Perrin is probably my designer of choice for fixed defensive blades. It would be really easy to mess a bad guy's day up with one of those, before they even realized what happened.

This is all theoretical. In the real world, I'm either legging it or shooting you a few times in the chest.
99.999999% : 0.0000009%
I'll go along with you on that SWICK model. If I ever were to implement a neck Knife which I've been thinking about lately it will probably be the SWICK model unless something else comes along.

But again if this Brother were to test drive the C-60 Ayoob against the 3 models he has mentioned I'm willing to bet that two or maybe all 3 of them would take a back seat.
benben

Post by benben »

I've missed out on the Ayoob several times and swore if another Sprint run were released, I wouldn't miss it.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Here's the yo2, Chinook 2, and the Ayoob SE

Here's a tip comparison for the Chinook 2 and yo 2

Chinook on the left

Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I've read quite a bit about his knife philosophy and seen Michael Janich's "pork-man" videos. I have 3 Yojimbo 2 knives. In a pinch where you do not have access to a larger fixed blade or firearm, the philosophy of Janich rings true to me. It is a knife meant for a martial use.

That said any knife can be an edged weapon, from the smallest 1 inch folder on up.

I liked what I read by Janich on the design of the Yojimbo that I started to look elsewhere for similar designs and added a 4 inch long Hinderer XM-24 Wharncliffe to my collection.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

This forum has been around for a long while. Has there ever been any stories of members using their Spydies in a SD scenario? 2 legged or 4??
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Knife1 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:05 pm
I'm considering either the P'kal, the Yojimbo 2, or the Chinook 2. Any opinions on which of these is the better self defense knife?
Well... I'll share my thoughts on each.

The Chinook 2 wouldn't be my first choice because the exaggerated curve at the tip might diminish thrusting ability. It seems to me that the edge could be deflected upward.

The P'kal? I've never learned to fight that way, so it just seems weird to me. Maybe if I was born a Philippino ninja, but I wasn't.

The Yojimbo 2 appears sturdily built. The tip would be a great stabber, and the Warncliffe blade would provide good slashing ability. An added benefit is that the blade would be suitable for everyday use.

If you're open to other options, I've become a fan of the typical finger choil, the spydie hump on the spine, and aggressive jimping. The three that I think offer a good balance of defense and everyday use are the Manix 2, Sage, and Para 2.

Let us know what you finally decide upon.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:57 pm
This forum has been around for a long while. Has there ever been any stories of members using their Spydies in a SD scenario? 2 legged or 4??
I defended myself against 4 to 5 guys with a small Benchmade. It is what I had on me at the time, and I have better knives now.

I was on the South Side of Chicago looking for guys in the 43rd Street Boys who allegedly were going to throw a Molotov cocktail through the front window of my family's apartment building for "double parking" in front of the apartment for less than 10 minutes earlier in the day. I asked around for them in the neighborhood to head off the trouble, because I've had to deal with gangs before and that is the way it's done. 4 to 5 guys started kicking me, slapping me, grabbing at my arms and face. I drew the knife from out of my right pocket where it was attached to my right hip, and said, "KNIFE!" and they stopped beating me, and I walked away. I did not slash or thrust the knife, or attempt to cut anyone.

I've trained in escrima/arnis/kali and collect videos on the subjects. I was planning on going back to training earlier this year but my brother who is my training partner got hurt at work.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

steelcity16 wrote: This forum has been around for a long while. Has there ever been any stories of members using their Spydies in a SD scenario? 2 legged or 4??
I would just think those kinds of stories might be discouraged in general. I dont know though maybe there have been threads on this. Maybe its talked about on reddit or some other forum? You could certainly incriminate yourself. At a certain point it would all just be internet talk anyway. I definitely do not doubt that it has happened. I have a story of an older guy I work with that really made me question the role of certain types of knives in self defense. But I wont get into it as I really havent seen these things openly discussed here.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."