Tactical Pens Revisited

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
defenestrate

Re: Tactical Pens Revisited

Post by defenestrate »

Agreed with paul about a more compliance use - I always think of them more as kubotans than pokey things.

I have one of the early S&W pens - a little clunky, poor cartridge, but stout (used it as a jack handle once when I couldn't find mine) and it was only about 20-25 bucks.

I like my CRKT Tao pen a lot better. It just looks nice a well-designed metal pen and came with a fisher-style cartridge so has never failed me.
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

A standard pen can be used to stab an attacker for the purpose of creating distance. For example, an attacker grabs you, so you stab a soft tissue area until he lets go and steps back, at which point you run or draw your gun.

A tactical pen can be used to stab; however, the robust ones can also be used much in the same way as a kubaton...they can improve your punches, the blunt end can be used for hammer strikes, and in skilled hands they can also be used to manipulate pressure points.

For this reason, I feel that a robust tactical pen has more potential as a self-defense tool. However, I have concerns about their legality. In some jurisdictions, they are viewed as martial arts weapons and are treated accordingly. I also wonder how they would be perceived by a jury in the event that I had to use one to defend myself.

My preference is to use a flashlight instead. Like a pen, it has real utilitarian value; and as best I can tell, even tactical flashlights don't carry a negative stigma. They're just flashlights, yet they make formidable impact weapons...and they also help me see the sights on my gun.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:20 pm
soc_monki wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:55 pm
flasharry wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:12 pm
soc_monki wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:11 am
A pencil can be used for self defense. Tactical pencil!
One can get titanium Chopsticks! Tactical Chopsticks!!
My wife has metal chopsticks... Probably some kind of stainless steel. I bet they'd do some damage!
I bought some steel chopsticks from Chinatown here in Chicago and sharpened them down to a kiridashi spike. Not sure how strong they are laterally, never tried them on a porkman.
I find that most interesting. For two reasons and one reason concerning a recent discovery I've made. About two weeks ago we had a big dinner at my church and we had a lot of drinks and was using a lot of ice ( block & cubed). My pastor noticed that we didn't have and "ICE PICK". So I went to a hardware store close by and they told me that I had to special order one. Or buy it on Amazon :rolleyes: :( No thank you

But I checked out a couple of other hardware stores and none of them had any ICE PICKs either :confused: One of the managers at that store said that their corporate office had a list of items they would no longer stock because of street gangs using ICE PICKs and other hardware items for the wrong reasons. I sort of understand that but they could easily take a claw hammer and kill you with that too.

Truly this politically correct crap has gone waAAAAY to far in my humble opinion. What happened to "common sense" and "Men" being "Men" in this country :confused: :confused: Please tell me I'm going to wake up from a bad dream soon :(
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:53 pm
I find that most interesting. For two reasons and one reason concerning a recent discovery I've made. About two weeks ago we had a big dinner at my church and we had a lot of drinks and was using a lot of ice ( block & cubed). My pastor noticed that we didn't have and "ICE PICK". So I went to a hardware store close by and they told me that I had to special order one. Or buy it on Amazon :rolleyes: :( No thank you

But I checked out a couple of other hardware stores and none of them had any ICE PICKs either :confused: One of the managers at that store said that their corporate office had a list of items they would no longer stock because of street gangs using ICE PICKs and other hardware items for the wrong reasons. I sort of understand that but they could easily take a claw hammer and kill you with that too.

Truly this politically correct crap has gone waAAAAY to far in my humble opinion. What happened to "common sense" and "Men" being "Men" in this country :confused: :confused: Please tell me I'm going to wake up from a bad dream soon :(
It's nutty out there isn't it!

It's nutty from the nut cases and from the nutty folks that want to exert control over the nut cases. Hahahahaha.....

I never checked back in (Chicago) Chinatown to see if they are still selling them. Maybe they stopped. I might have 20 of them!!!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:53 pm
Naperville wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:20 pm
soc_monki wrote:
flasharry wrote:

My wife has metal chopsticks... Probably some kind of stainless steel. I bet they'd do some damage!
I bought some steel chopsticks from Chinatown here in Chicago and sharpened them down to a kiridashi spike. Not sure how strong they are laterally, never tried them on a porkman.

The inmates are running the asylum. :mad:

As far as tactical pens, IMO, since their purpose is mostly to double as defensive weapons, you’re likely to get into more trouble if you actually defend yourself with one than a thug who attacks you, unprovoked, with a tire iron. The restrictive lawmakers spend all day in the book-stacks, then go home to their high-security mansions. Most seem to be privileged former school nerds who have never gotten their hands dirty in their lives, much less ever faced any danger or been attacked. They think that self-defense is some kind of game or contest that has to be played fairly, with a little bias towards the attacker to make things interesting for them.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

James Y wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:54 pm

As far as tactical pens, IMO, since their purpose is mostly to double as defensive weapons, you’re likely to get into more trouble if you actually defend yourself with one than a thug who attacks you, unprovoked, with a tire iron. The restrictive lawmakers spend all day in the book-stacks, then go home to their high-security mansions. Most seem to be privileged former school nerds who have never gotten their hands dirty in their lives, much less ever faced any danger or been attacked. They think that self-defense is some kind of game or contest that has to be played fairly, with a little bias towards the attacker to make things interesting for them.

Jim
I was attending uni in Iowa. Had my wife in the car. Apparently I did not come to a COMPLETE stop at a stop sign and was pulled over for blowing through the stop sign. I called B.S. because I had out of state Illinois plates on a 5.0L Mustang. They pull me out of the car because I said, "This is B.S." and then saw my wife's key chain in the ignition....then they started to rail on me for it, a 4 inch long aluminum kubuton.

My wife at the time was an assistant store manager at Walgreen's and I bought it for her because she often came home at 1AM and needed a little something to defend herself. Because I was behind the wheel driving, they were trying to figure out how many laws I had broken.

They let me off with nothing, not even ticketing me for the "incomplete" stop. Usually, when I come to a stop, the guy behind me get's p*ssed off and honks because I'm taking too long. It was hilarious.

Months later, with Iowa plates, I was driving through Illinois, and got pulled over for a speeder. Now mind you, I'm an older student, say around 28, and I had never had a ticket given to me by an Illinois State Trooper. I told him that too, wherein he turned around and walked back to his car sheepishly.

They all do it. It's a game to them.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

think how that would have gone if you kept at 10 and 2 and just complied.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:29 pm
James Y wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:54 pm

Jim
I was attending uni in Iowa. Had my wife in the car. Apparently I did not come to a COMPLETE stop at a stop sign and was pulled over for blowing through the stop sign. I called B.S. because I had out of state Illinois plates on a 5.0L Mustang. They pull me out of the car because I said, "This is B.S." and then saw my wife's key chain in the ignition....then they started to rail on me for it, a 4 inch long aluminum kubuton.

My wife at the time was an assistant store manager at Walgreen's and I bought it for her because she often came home at 1AM and needed a little something to defend herself. Because I was behind the wheel driving, they were trying to figure out how many laws I had broken.

They let me off with nothing, not even ticketing me for the "incomplete" stop. Usually, when I come to a stop, the guy behind me get's p*ssed off and honks because I'm taking too long. It was hilarious.

Months later, with Iowa plates, I was driving through Illinois, and got pulled over for a speeder. Now mind you, I'm an older student, say around 28, and I had never had a ticket given to me by an Illinois State Trooper. I told him that too, wherein he turned around and walked back to his car sheepishly.

They all do it. It's a game to them.
Glad everything turned out alright for you.

Personally, I would have simply complied without calling BS, because you never know which LEO you’re going to get. I’m sure that most are level-headed enough, but there are some nervous Nellies and hotheads out there with itchy trigger fingers, or who are just aching for some action. Especially if you happen to be from the wrong demographic. If I have a problem with it, I’d rather file a complaint about it after, even though that’s not fun. It seems that the vast majority of police brutality videos that make the national news are involving people who were resisting the cops in some way, even if only verbally. I’m willing to bet that the majority of those incidents would never have devolved into police brutality if the people being pulled over had simply been courteous, even if the cops had been wrong and they had been right.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

z4vdBt wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:23 am
think how that would have gone if you kept at 10 and 2 and just complied.
I've got 5 cops in the family, 2 on 911 dispatch. One of the cops is a complete fool and utter liar, and I'd be willing to testify and provide proof in court.

I'm like Don Cherry, I call 'em as I see 'em.
stream26

Post by stream26 »

I use a Tuff Writer every day in the office. A solid chunk of steel it’s made to be an impact weapon. That being said, it’s an excellent writing implement as well.
When I travel I use Zebra steel barreled pens. Not quite as robust but at $7 apiece I don’t mind as much if the TSA confiscates them.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear lakinco:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
rgc

Post by rgc »

I am of the mind set that "tactical" pens should be more of the kubotan type weapon than a put a hole in you type. A good wack with one in the chest stops a lot of people in their tracks, at least enough to gain some distance or control over the situation.

I like my Embassy Pen from County Comm. Even flown with it a couple of times and never had anyone look at it twice.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I work at a hospital - if I lay a nice pen down it will grow legs.

I have one nice pen that could work as a "tactical pen" - my Flying Tigers Retro 51 Tornado pen. It's solid & would work fine as an improvised kubotan. Added bonus is that it's a pen first and has no "tactical" association that could hem me up if I had to use it as a weapon.
Attachments
PMEDC2.jpg
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

soc_monki wrote:
flasharry wrote:
soc_monki wrote:
Kinda like women's hat pins. ;)

Ever seen a hat pin? :flushed
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:44 pm
soc_monki wrote:
flasharry wrote:
soc_monki wrote:

Or how about these hair pins https://www.hairbornedefenses.com/
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:44 pm
soc_monki wrote:
flasharry wrote:
soc_monki wrote:

I haven't, but I can imagine...will have to look them up!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Too expensive for me, but maybe not for you:

THE SPARTAN BLADES “GRAFI” TITANIUM PEN - (BLUE ANODIZED)

https://spartanbladesusa.com/shop-all/t ... 2057800726
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Hi, my Mum and Sisters ALWAYS carried/wore Hat pins.
I can even remember my Mum saying to youngest Sister "have you got your hat pin" when going out on a date.
Inconspicuous and effective I'm sure...
CharlieFox42

Post by CharlieFox42 »

My "tactical pen" was and is the Zebra F701. I've carried this pen onto over a dozen domestic and international flights, into courtrooms and other NPEs without a second look. I work in a hospital and being able to disinfect it without any damage is a big plus. When I worked security I used it on three separate occasions to adjust a non-compliant patient's perspective with a bit of pressure to some areas that don't like pressure with great results.