Compression Lock Military 2 Steel Poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Choose one

CPM-CRUWEAR
18%
CPM-3V
5%
CPM-4V
5%
Rex45
8%
K390
21%
CPM-20CV
29%
CPM-154
4%
S90V
4%
S45VN
5%
S30V
2%

Total votes: 131

steelcity16

Compression Lock Military 2 Steel Poll

Post by steelcity16 »

Sal said he was open for steel suggestions as an alternative to S30V for the initial release of a possible Compression Lock Military 2. So suggest away!!
Last edited by steelcity16 on Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Re: Compression Lock Military 2 Steel Poll

Post by steelcity16 »

I'll start with 3V to get the ball rolling!!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I’d love a Military in Cruwear.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

LC200N. Even though it's not on the list.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
glutofknives

Post by glutofknives »

Theres some great choices in this poll. I chose cruwear because it doesnt seem to increase the price as much as k390. Maybe that is better for a base model?
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

3V ONLY if it can be the CPK delta HT, which is probably proprietary to CPK.
So I voted for cruwear, a very well-balanced steel with all the toughness a blade shaped like a Mili needs.
4V would be my second choice.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

3V, whatever heat-treat Spyderco thinks best. I have none and would like a tough Millie.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I said in the other thread that Cruwear or 20CV are what I’d love to see. Leaning towards 20CV. Both are good, “every day” use steels that aren’t particularly hard to care for and are good for the “general consumer”. They aren’t super hard to sharpen, are pretty corrosion resistant (obviously 20CV more than Cruwear), and they are pretty readily available from my understanding (again 20CV more so I think). LC200N fits that too I guess, but I feel like Spyderco would be inclined to make the whole knife a “Salt” to remain consistent, and I don’t think that’s as appropriate for the initial release. I’d throw S45VN in there too if the timelines work.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I selfishly voted for 4v just because i haven’t had a chance to try it. I think the best bets for making the highest number of buyers happy (not just us steel snobs) would be 20cv or s45vn.

Edit: switched my vote to 20cv. I also feel like s45vn should be in the poll. Given that it is a new steel and we know that Spyderco is planning to work with it, it seems it would be a likely suspect.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:20 pm
I selfishly voted for 4v just because i haven’t had a chance to try it. I think the best bets for making the highest number of buyers happy (not just us steel snobs) would be 20cv or s45vn.

Edit: switched my vote to 20cv. I also feel like s45vn should be in the poll. Given that it is a new steel and we know that Spyderco is planning to work with it, it seems it would be a likely suspect.
I almost selfishly voted for Cruwear :D but I too think that 20CV would do better for the general populace between the two.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:09 pm
Sal said he was open for steel suggestions as an alternative to S30V for the initial release of a possible Compression Lock Military 2. So suggest away!!
You left out what's probably the best steel for this application - LC200N. It's tougher than Cru-Wear, it's easier to sharpen, and it's extremely corrosion resistant. Just standing outside manning a gate in places like Iraq, in the heat of the summer, can cause one to sweat significantly. If the Military 2 is going to be a soldier's knife, it needs to be corrosion resistant, tough, and easy to sharpen. LC200N meets all three of those criteria.
Last edited by ugaarguy on Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Out of these options I chose K390.
:unicorn
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Rex 45, but only if the compression lock is offered in a left handed version.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

ugaarguy wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:34 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
You left out what's probably the best steel for this application - LC200N. It's tougher than Cru-Wear, it's easier to sharpen, and it's extremely corrosion resistant. Just standing outside manning a gate in places like Iraq, in the heat of the summer, can cause one to sweat significantly. If the Military 2 is going to be a soldier's knife, it needs to be corrosion resistant, tough, and easy to sharpen. LC200N meets all three of those criteria.

I would love an LC200N Salt version, but I made the assumption that they aren't going to come out of the gate with this. This poll is for an S30V alternative for a non-Salt debut. I left S30V on there in case people want to keep it BAU.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:07 pm
ugaarguy wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:

I would love an LC200N Salt version, but I made the assumption that they aren't going to come out of the gate with this. This poll is for an S30V alternative for a non-Salt debut. I left S30V on there in case people want to keep it BAU.
I don't know what BAU is. If we're going for a soldier's knife an LC200N blade (with or without the rest of the knife getting the full Salt treatment) makes the most sense for the base model, for the reasons I've listed. The exotic, hard to sharpen, low corrosion resistance, carbon steels should be left for later variants for afis.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I am very pumped for this Military 2.
Thank you so much Spyderco for listening to our insistent requests.
If this model was released in 154CM, I would buy it without hesitation. A Comp lock Military has been my dream knife for years now.
Though since we're asking for some sweet super steel, I voted CPM 20CV. I have sweaty hands and I work in a bar, stainless steel is a must for myself. XHP and S90V are just as desirable.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:20 pm

Added S45VN and removed M4 since no one voted for it. You ARE allowed to change your vote in the poll at any time.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

ugaarguy wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:19 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
ugaarguy wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:

I don't know what BAU is. If we're going for a soldier's knife an LC200N blade (with or without the rest of the knife getting the full Salt treatment) makes the most sense for the base model, for the reasons I've listed. The exotic, hard to sharpen, low corrosion resistance, carbon steels should be left for later variants for afis.

BAU = Business As Usual

I'm a big LC200N fan and huge Salt fan, but calling it tougher and easier to sharpen than Cruwear is a bit of a stretch. Not sure I agree with either of those statements, despite what one chart or another may say. Cruwear is also plenty corrosion resistant unless you are a Navy Seal or in the Coast Guard or a Fisherman or something where you will be on salt water, but even then I don't think I've seen anyone with corrosion on a Cruwear blade. Maybe Lance or Pelagic can opine here with their experience with Cruwear on the ocean. I don't oil or wipe down or do anything special to mine and they are fine, but I am not taking it out on a boat in the ocean either.

I still don't see them coming out with LC200N in a Non-Salt production model, and I don't think it will be released initially as a Salt, so I left it off for now. If they do a Salt after the fact like they did with the Native Salt, I will 100% buy one.

Interesting link on someone trying to patina Cruwear.

https://nemoknivesreview.com/2018/09/24 ... that-easy/
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:49 pm
ugaarguy wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:19 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
ugaarguy wrote:

BAU = Business As Usual

I'm a big LC200N fan and huge Salt fan, but calling it tougher and easier to sharpen than Cruwear is a bit of a stretch. Not sure I agree with either of those statements, despite what one chart or another may say. Cruwear is also plenty corrosion resistant unless you are a Navy Seal or in the Coast Guard or a Fisherman or something where you will be on salt water, but even then I don't think I've seen anyone with corrosion on a Cruwear blade. Maybe Lance or Pelagic can opine here with their experience with Cruwear on the ocean. I don't oil or wipe down or do anything special to mine and they are fine, but I am not taking it out on a boat in the ocean either.

I still don't see them coming out with LC200N in a Non-Salt production model, and I don't think it will be released initially as a Salt, so I left it off for now. If they do a Salt after the fact like they did with the Native Salt, I will 100% buy one.

Interesting link on someone trying to patina Cruwear.

https://nemoknivesreview.com/2018/09/24 ... that-easy/
That link is interesting, but my sweat (doing much less rigorous things post military service, in the summer humidity of the deep south and the midwest) has rusted the steel liners on a few Spydies. A respected member of this forum who's a sharpening guru says that Cru-Wear takes time, skills, and the proper tools to sharpen - https://youtu.be/YRhZCr58yb4&t=558s. I've sharpened LC200N on the bottom of a coffee mug in minutes. If the BBB says that Cru-Wear isn't that easy to sharpen, I'm taking his word for it. I also trust Larrin's toughness data.

On paper, CPM-154 and S45VN also look like they'd both offer a good mix of toughness, corrosion resistance, and ease of sharpening. Please try for 5 minutes to set aside your obsession with exotic tool steels, and objectively evaluate the best steel for the purpose of this knife.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I think LC200N would be a great option, even if the model weren't a full salt. It makes a lot of sense for the role of the knife.
:unicorn