ESEE Knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
vivi

Re: ESEE Knives

Post by vivi »

benben wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:04 pm
Vivi wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:44 am
benben wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:10 am
Vivi, don't know if you remember the post.....I bought a 3HM for our youth pastor at our church. That's my only dealing with ESEE, I remember telling my wife when it came time to give it to him "I think I'm going to get him something different and keep this for me!" I was overruled on that one!

That little fixed blade felt awesome in hand! This youth pastor is a young guy, late twenty's, he's taken that 3HM camping several times now, he told me he had no idea just what a great knife was supposed to feel like, until now!
Benben, I do remember that post. I still plan to get a 3HM based on how much I like my 6. Very nice handle shape.
I've been meaning to pick me up a small fixed blade, and was pretty sure it would be that 3HM.....but I got to handle an uncoated Camp-Lore JG3 at a huge gun shop in Charlotte, that's the one I'll probably get!

https://www.knifeworks.com/fixed-blade- ... heath.html

I've also been looking at some 3V and M4 Bark River knives, but they're easily double the price of that JG3!
I know the shop you're talking about, they have a great selection. Last time I was there I'm pretty sure I saw a Starmate, SE Police 2, some Busses, Bark Rivers and Reeves. Those JG3's look good.

Bark Rivers have always caught my eye, but I haven't pulled the trigger on one yet. I think I'll end up getting something like the Highland Special some day.
:unicorn
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I have one ESEE, an ESEE Junglass.

Seemed like a sensible purchase for a guy involved in Escrima/Arnis.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:49 am
Never have been personally a fan.

I always thought of them as vastly overrated lawnmower blades with handles on them and overpriced for what they are.

Opinions will vary, but that one is mine. :)

There are plenty of other options on the market.

Honestly this isn't far from the truth. I do like 1095 but I do agree they are insanely overpriced and maybe a bit overrated. I do like the Izulas but even those I skipped over for a BK14 which was about $20 cheaper and has more blade and a much thinner blade grind and I think better coating. So, I do like them but as you say there are lots of options in the fixed blade world. For some of their prices I think I can get custom done locally.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:18 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:49 am
Never have been personally a fan.

I always thought of them as vastly overrated lawnmower blades with handles on them and overpriced for what they are.

Opinions will vary, but that one is mine. :)

There are plenty of other options on the market.
Honestly this isn't far from the truth. I do like 1095 but I do agree they are insanely overpriced and maybe a bit overrated. I do like the Izulas but even those I skipped over for a BK14 which was about $20 cheaper and has more blade and a much thinner blade grind and I think better coating. So, I do like them but as you say there are lots of options in the fixed blade world. For some of their prices I think I can get custom done locally.
Yep. I cannot argue with Mr Ankerson's logic as harsh as it is. They are overpriced lawnmower blades for the most part. Nonetheless I bought the Junglass because Spyderco didn't have anything in that size range. If Spyderco makes it, I'll be in line for it. I am sure it will be of high quality, probably in 1V, 3V, or S7.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

benben wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:04 pm
Vivi wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:44 am
benben wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:10 am
Vivi, don't know if you remember the post.....I bought a 3HM for our youth pastor at our church. That's my only dealing with ESEE, I remember telling my wife when it came time to give it to him "I think I'm going to get him something different and keep this for me!" I was overruled on that one!

That little fixed blade felt awesome in hand! This youth pastor is a young guy, late twenty's, he's taken that 3HM camping several times now, he told me he had no idea just what a great knife was supposed to feel like, until now!
Benben, I do remember that post. I still plan to get a 3HM based on how much I like my 6. Very nice handle shape.
I've been meaning to pick me up a small fixed blade, and was pretty sure it would be that 3HM.....but I got to handle an uncoated Camp-Lore JG3 at a huge gun shop in Charlotte, that's the one I'll probably get!

https://www.knifeworks.com/fixed-blade- ... heath.html

I've also been looking at some 3V and M4 Bark River knives, but they're easily double the price of that JG3!
Don't forget to check out LT Wright! I like em more than Bark River.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have an early ESEE6 and an Izula2. Neither has really made me want another ESEE; they’ve served me so well (wish I’d had them during my military service in the tropics long ago).

What with my other FBs (Blind Horse Knives/LTWK and now the WaterWay and Enuff Salt), I’m set.

I’ve considered the Junglas, but don’t really need that much edge anymore. I’ve opted for a 1095 SP16 Spax.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Here's the Casstrom Safari per Vivi's request.
Blade and handle look and feel like a very toned down Spydiechef meets Kapara. Fits my hand great. Nicely contoured without being overly round. Tapered tang for balance. Grind feels pretty thin. I don't own calipers but feels and looks as thin as a lot of my traditionals. Of course, once I lower the edge a bit, it will be even better. Also, it came Spyderco sharp. The g10 is nice and polished. Leather sheath is meh, wlshould have got the kydex. Was skeptical about the blade but it isn't that radical. It is mainly belly but also a drop point meaning the tip is actually useful unlike on upswept blades. I'm def happy with it. Only a $100 knife that I got for $70.

Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

What's like an esee but less thick and survival oriented? (Preferably not a convex edge)
vivi

Post by vivi »

GarageBoy wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:11 am
What's like an esee but less thick and survival oriented? (Preferably not a convex edge)
LT Wright has a few models that are close. They work with A2 and D2 more than 1095, and typically go for a classier appearance and more polished micarta, but they have matte options.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

GarageBoy wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:11 am
Check out the LT Wright Genesis. Sort of LT's take on the Kephart knife. Also, the LT Wright Outback.

Every LT Wright knife I've bought has been legit
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

I had an ESEE 6 and ESEE 4 in 1095 when I was a teen. Good knives and awesome sheaths, but the more I used them the more annoyed I got about how thick they were ground. I mean I get it, survival knives etc etc. But why do so many of these companies assume that if my life depends on that tool, I'll suddenly use my knife to chop rocks? The only knife I have from them at the moment is an ESEE 3, which is way thinner than the rest of their line and its actually a great cutter. But to be honest, like Ankerson said, there are better options out there for the money.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

My wife gave me an ESEE 3HM a couple of years ago. Outside of camping, I don't find much use for it, but it's a nice knife with a comfortable micarta handle. I think it has thinner stock than my wife's Izula. My only real complaint with this particular model is the lack of a guard. I'm always afraid I'll slide up on to the blade. It also has too much belly for it to be a good edc for me.

I made the sheath from drainage grade PVC pipe.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

How are the bradfords?

The lt Wrights and carothers look great
vivi

Post by vivi »

Peaceinourtime, nice 3hm! I've thought about getting one. Haven't had any issues with the handle on my 6hm, the curve in front of the edge works nicely as a guard for me.

Bradfords have pretty squared off scales, which is my main issue with them. They're nicely made otherwise.
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

emanuel wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:57 am
I had an ESEE 6 and ESEE 4 in 1095 when I was a teen.
Gosh, you are doing well for your age there Emanuel..
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

kiwisailor wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:09 pm
emanuel wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:57 am
I had an ESEE 6 and ESEE 4 in 1095 when I was a teen.
Gosh, you are doing well for your age there Emanuel..
I had my first all-plastic folder when I was 3 yo that I would carry everywhere and made other parents bulge their eyes on me lol. And that was the first catalyst that funneled all my money from my first jobs into knives and outdoors gear. And I don't regret one thing!
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Currently looking at an used ESEE 3. I need a knife I can use when hiking that'll complement my folders for harder use, until I have enough gear (and time) for 2- or 3-day hikes and I'll probably get a BK2 for the rest.
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:44 pm
It's their business model that's the reason I stopped buying their knives. It'd be like if the only Spydercos sold were the sprint runs that sell out in four minutes. I don't care how good your product is if that's how they're going to be sold.
This is my gripe with Spyderco. I love Spyderco knives, but for some reason many of the really excellent knives are sprint runs, and I just don't bother chasing them. That is why I've asked for a Spyderco Custom Shop where they could be ordered for 6 to 12 months.

I don't care how good your product is if that's how they're going to be sold.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:44 pm
Peaceinourtime, nice 3hm! I've thought about getting one. Haven't had any issues with the handle on my 6hm, the curve in front of the edge works nicely as a guard for me.

Bradfords have pretty squared off scales, which is my main issue with them. They're nicely made otherwise.

So far, I haven't had issues with it not having a guard, but I often "anchor" my pinky in the loop in the fob to keep my hand from being able to slide up on the blade. I know it shouldn't be an issue for normal use, but I consider this to be a knife for "hard use"/abuse (for my use, anyway).

The 3HM and my wife's Izula are my only experience with ESEE. I have no intention to ever get rid of it. The handle on the 3HM is probably the most comfortable handle I've ever used!
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:17 pm
marty_bill_ wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:46 am
20191023_115135-1440x1920.jpgIzula
Izula ll
CR 2.5
AGK
These are the 4 I have and they are great. Esee makes great knives and have awesome ergonomics for me. Definitely a workhorse knife company for real users. They are some great folks and back up what they sell. My CR2.5 is with me bout everyday. I've paid a lot more for other knives. But my Esee's get the nod. I'd never be afraid to be stuck in the bush with an Esee.
That's a nice looking edge on your CR 2.5. I think I saw that model last time I was at a local store that carries ESEE. I think I'm going to swing by today and see if they still have any in stock.

Do they sell those kydex sheaths with the knife? I was only seeing leather options on the couple of sites I checked out.
My CM6 came with a really, really nice kydex sheath with a sliding lock at the top.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.