Pacific Salt 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
prndltech

Re: Pacific Salt 2

Post by prndltech »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:37 pm
T-1000 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:57 am
I hope it stays the same just with the E4 handle. The pac salt is my favorite work knives and a thinner ffg blade would take away from that. It is a workhorse and doesn’t need to be made more delicate with a thin, slicey blade made from a super steel that’s going to jack the price way up. The thick Sabre ground blade with the sheepsfoot tip is a perfect design for guys like me that work outside in humid environments and don’t just use their knives for slicing sandwiches.
To be clear: I like the "thick sheepsfoot blade" of the Pac Salt a lot, but may I ask: Have you ever actually used a blade like the ffg Enduras (harder) "outside in humid enviroments"?
I do, and believe me: It can take a LOT more than just "sandwich slicing"... ;)
I’ll second this. I have used (sometimes abused) FFG enduras and delicas since they came out. I’ve had a Delica that lives on my tool box for years at the shop.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
vivi

Post by vivi »

There was talk of a FFG Pacific Salt 1 in LC200N but as far as I know that project got cancelled along with the Pacific Salt 1.

I have never read anything to suggest the Pacific 2 will be LC rather than H1.

I'd imagine it will be built just like the Salt 2 but scaled up to the Endura 4 frame. If its anything besides that I'd be awfully surprised.

I like the E3 handle so I stocked up on the original.
:unicorn
Brackish

Post by Brackish »

If it’s in LC200N, I’ll take 3.
Spydiechef, Dragonfly Salt 2, Native 5 Salt, Native 5 Cruwear, and Q-ball (Newest Addition)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Still hoping that this comes out soon in PE and SE FFG LC200N with Toxic Green FRN. It would be great to have the option for pointy tip vs blunt tip as well. I would prefer pointy tips on these personally.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Brackish

Post by Brackish »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:50 pm
Still hoping that this comes out soon in PE and SE FFG LC200N with Toxic Green FRN. It would be great to have the option for pointy tip vs blunt tip as well. I would prefer pointy tips on these personally.
Pretty easy to get a toxic green for any of the salts that come with a yellow handle. The yellow FRN takes neon green dye really well. If I had a clue of how to post pictures, I’d post one of the Dragonfly Salt 2 I did in that color.
Spydiechef, Dragonfly Salt 2, Native 5 Salt, Native 5 Cruwear, and Q-ball (Newest Addition)
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:45 pm
There was talk of a FFG Pacific Salt 1 in LC200N but as far as I know that project got cancelled along with the Pacific Salt 1.

I'd imagine it will be built just like the Salt 2 but scaled up to the Endura 4 frame. If its anything besides that I'd be awfully surprised.

There was talk somewhere of a FFG LC200N Pac Salt. Sal mentioned that there would be a run with the E3 handle but unless it is a sprint it looks like it will be in the E4...though this is mostly conjecture and speculation.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

thewoodpecker wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:13 pm
Vivi wrote:

There was talk somewhere (viewtopic.php?t=76996) of a FFG LC200N Pac Salt. Sal mentioned that there would be a run with the E3 handle but unless it is a sprint it looks like it will be in the E4...though this is mostly conjecture and speculation.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
vivi

Post by vivi »

thewoodpecker wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:13 pm
Vivi wrote:

There was talk somewhere of a FFG LC200N Pac Salt. Sal mentioned that there would be a run with the E3 handle but unless it is a sprint it looks like it will be in the E4...though this is mostly conjecture and speculation.
Yep there was talk of that for years but I think the idea got shelved, haven't heard any news for a while and the model got discontinued. Would be really cool to see them still do it as a sprint of the now discontinued original, but I doubt we'll ever see an LC200N Pacific 1.
:unicorn
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I understand if some people really love a certain design and want it to have all available options but...

Im fine if all the japanese salts stay h1, and our lc200n options come from Taichung and Golden. This already seems to be how things are leaning anyways.

Ive also said this before, but if we get lightweight versions of the chief and lil native to go along with the native 5, with multiple steel and salt options, I would be set. An lc200n native chief plus a pacific salt 2 would be more than good enough.

Also if it ever gets in stock Im grabbing a siren. I really dont see an lc200n pac salt doing anything the siren wouldnt do. Unless you just feel really strongly about thumb ramps.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:05 am
I understand if some people really love a certain design and want it to have all available options but...

Im fine if all the japanese salts stay h1, and our lc200n options come from Taichung and Golden. This already seems to be how things are leaning anyways.

Ive also said this before, but if we get lightweight versions of the chief and lil native to go along with the native 5, with multiple steel and salt options, I would be set. An lc200n native chief plus a pacific salt 2 would be more than good enough.

Also if it ever gets in stock Im grabbing a siren. I really dont see an lc200n pac salt doing anything the siren wouldnt do. Unless you just feel really strongly about thumb ramps.
While I am really (!) excited about the Siren, I still have to disagree: The for me big difference is FRN (which I clearly prefer) vs G10 plus the lighter weight of the Pac Salt.Plus hour glass clip (my preference) vs wire clip.
Minor advantage of the Pac Salt is the a bit shorter overall package while having the same edge length.

But again: Almost can´t wait any longer for the Siren to be released!! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Siren bears some resemblance to the old Wayne Goddard lightweight.

Jim
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I can’t help but agree with you about the FRN Warstein...I’m a big fan of the material. I am obviously not in charge of such things but personally I would love to eventually see an FRN Siren offered alongside the G10 version. I suppose time (and sales numbers) will tell. :)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

James Y wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:57 am

Jim
It bears a LOT of resemblance! What’s funny is I had no experience with the Goddard. I think I had seen a couple of pics but that knife was discontinued well before I started hanging out here and I had never really paid any attention to it. Many months after I had finished the Siren design someone mentioned it’s resemblance to the Goddard. I looked up the Goddard and was quite surprised by just how similar they looked. I even mentioned that to Sal when I first presented the Siren to him. Sal’s response was interesting. He said it was not really so surprising. He said that when you sat down to design a knife for specific tasks it is very common to come up with similar looking designs. He said that Mr. Goddard and I had many of the same usage ideas for our knives and when you build a knife for a certain purpose then a certain type of aesthetic often follows. I know a good deal about fishing and processing fish and game but I am a complete novice at knife design. All I really have to offer is my usage experience and my attempt to build a design around that. The fact that my design came out looking even remotely similar to something that a legend like Wayne Goddard designed feels like an honor. I’ll chalk it up mostly to luck but I’ll humbly accept it.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:58 am
I can’t help but agree with you about the FRN Warstein...I’m a big fan of the material. I am obviously not in charge of such things but personally I would love to eventually see an FRN Siren offered alongside the G10 version. I suppose time (and sales numbers) will tell. :)

Lance, I despite the G10 I´d still take the Siren over a LC200N Pac Salt PE I guess! It (the Siren) is just such a great design as far as I can tell from the depictions!!
Especially the very neutral and secure handle shape, the very usefull looking blade, and for me that "Ricasso". I know from your vid that you did this mostly for placing the middel finger on that spot when cutting with the index finger on the spine close to the tip, but for me personally this "Ricasso" is the perfect spot for choking up on the blade with the index finger. Better than any regular choil would be.

Only thing I don´t really like (but maybe I´ll discuss that better in a dedicated "Siren thread": The wire clip.

So: I´ll get a Siren for sure eventually, and as you say: Hopefully it sells well enough that Spyderco might think about investing in FRN molds! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Yeah I guess I completely for got about handles and was just focusing on the blades.
I really like bidirectional frn for its grip and how frn holds up in salt water. I also forgot about the wire clip.
Which is something Im a little curious about. I usually assocuate the spoon clips with harder use and taking more of a beating, which is what I want in a salt series. Im assuming the decision might have been made on the wire clip being less intrusive of a clip, especially for multiple grip positions. Or maybe Surfingringo just really wanted the wire clip.
So yeah multiple differences going on.
However Im still thinking our lc200n options will come from Golden and Taichung while Seki stays h1.

While I would certainly get both, a frn siren might compete a little too closely with my imaginary frn chief salt. :)
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
James Y

Post by James Y »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:12 am
James Y wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:57 am

Jim
It bears a LOT of resemblance! What’s funny is I had no experience with the Goddard. I think I had seen a couple of pics but that knife was discontinued well before I started hanging out here and I had never really paid any attention to it. Many months after I had finished the Siren design someone mentioned it’s resemblance to the Goddard. I looked up the Goddard and was quite surprised by just how similar they looked. I even mentioned that to Sal when I first presented the Siren to him. Sal’s response was interesting. He said it was not really so surprising. He said that when you sat down to design a knife for specific tasks it is very common to come up with similar looking designs. He said that Mr. Goddard and I had many of the same usage ideas for our knives and when you build a knife for a certain purpose then a certain type of aesthetic often follows. I know a good deal about fishing and processing fish and game but I am a complete novice at knife design. All I really have to offer is my usage experience and my attempt to build a design around that. The fact that my design came out looking even remotely similar to something that a legend like Wayne Goddard designed feels like an honor. I’ll chalk it up mostly to luck but I’ll humbly accept it.
Thank you for sharing, Lance! It just goes to show that great minds think alike ( you and Mr. Goddard).

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

As for the Pac Salt 2, since it’ll have the E4 handle, I kinda wish that overly-prominent finger bump will be rounded off a little, but otherwise, I’m good with it. I highly doubt it’ll be changed from H1 to LC200N.

Jim
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The Siren looks like a good knife and I will definitely buy one to check out, but I still would love a pair of PE and SE FFG LC200N Pacific Salts with the same handle as the recently discontinued H1 model. Perhaps a sprint of these is in order if the new Pacific Salt 2 is still going to be a saber ground H1.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:37 pm
T-1000 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:57 am
I hope it stays the same just with the E4 handle. The pac salt is my favorite work knives and a thinner ffg blade would take away from that. It is a workhorse and doesn’t need to be made more delicate with a thin, slicey blade made from a super steel that’s going to jack the price way up. The thick Sabre ground blade with the sheepsfoot tip is a perfect design for guys like me that work outside in humid environments and don’t just use their knives for slicing sandwiches.
To be clear: I like the "thick sheepsfoot blade" of the Pac Salt a lot, but may I ask: Have you ever actually used a blade like the ffg Enduras (harder) "outside in humid enviroments"?
I do, and believe me: It can take a LOT more than just "sandwich slicing"... ;)
I have, and got really turned off by the fact after some moderate use two ffg enduras that I have owned developed pretty bad vertical blade play, which may have been a total coincidence, but either way I sold them. However my sabre ground SE endura and SE pac salt I have used much harder and they lock up tight as can be. I can only think that the thicker blade stock makes up for the lack of torsional rigidity of a linerless knife. A linerless, ffg version of the pac salt IMO would not be as much of a hard use knife and the currently discontinued model that we all know and love. I dont see how they could make such a knife and it not feel flimsy during use. Believe me, I LOVE the Endura but got away from it at work because sweating all over my knife all day made the liners rust. The Pac Salt was the perfect solution to this. However I would be OK for an FFG version to be offered in conjunction with a sabre ground model though, just like the current E4 offerings.
Last edited by T-1000 on Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

[