Which direction does the spring go when installing it in a Stretch?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
blendergasket

Which direction does the spring go when installing it in a Stretch?

Post by blendergasket »

Hi!

I got a pair of micarta scales for my stretch Hap40. I tried installing them, and I think I wrote here about some of the issues I had. I got it back together but it has no springiness to the lock and it rocks back and forth around the pivot. I inserted the long flat part of the lock bar into the slot at the top of the backspacer, should I have put the short part of the spring into that slot? I tried doing that before but was having lots of trouble getting it back together.

Thank you!
Robbob

Re: Which direction does the spring go when installing it in a Stretch?

Post by Robbob »

The longer leg should go in the backspacer. The end of the short leg usually goes behind the step in the lockbar.

Stupid question: Is the end of the spring touching the lockbar?
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Please tell me you have got the spring oriented in the right direction. I will assume you do.

Something to keep in mind is that a back lock lockbar is just a giant lever. So with constant spring tension the closer the spring contact spot is to the center pivot, the easier (less springy) the action on the lock bar will be.
Basically make sure you have got that spring bar jammed all the way back into the spacer if you want more springiness. You may have a piece of lint or something that got in the backspacer during disassembly, not letting the spring fully seat into it. This would move the contact area towards the pivot and give the impression of reduced spring tension.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I don't have a stretch, but this picture of a n5lw might give you an idea.