How Spyderco came out on top

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
standy99

How Spyderco came out on top

Post by standy99 »

On reading this comment on another thread
sal wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:11 pm
Ever feel like you can't come out on top no matter what you do?

sal

I thought it would be good to list the models we like the most and how Spyderco came out on top.

For me it was the Gayle Bradley 1 that hit it out of the park
Still my number 1 Spyderco and folder period.
Have plenty of other Spyderco’s and other brands but this knife still makes me look in awe every time I carry it.

Thanks Sal for making it happen
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
The Meat man

Re: How Spyderco came out on top

Post by The Meat man »

Autonomy 2! It's a genius design. For fans of the Caribbean, it is very similar in handle ergonomics. Very comfortable without being restrictive.

Sal, you definitely came out on top with this one.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Ric

Post by Ric »

Para 3.

I started with Ambition. Too heavy and too small.
Then the Resilience. Too big and heavy.
The PM2. Much better still but too heavy.
Then Para 3 *love*
Rest is history ;)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

What got me hooked on spyderco was the salt series. Theres just nothing on the market that competes with it in my opinion.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

For me, it's the PM2. It's the one life that fits my hand like it was designed to fit!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I’m a huge fan of simple, low maintenance things, things I don’t have to worry about amongst all the things you do have to think about in life.

The salt series of knives is one of those things for me. It’s a tool, with no maintenance other than sharpening.

I think the SE Salt knives are where it’s at. Sal, you came out on top with them for sure, at least in this guys opinion.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well I consider both of those Shaman sprints from that thread winners despite the tone of the thread.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The Caribbean blew my head off. Best folding knife/tool ever made.

Really how they came out on top, was caring more about having a quality, high performance product than the bottom line.
That focus on quality has led them to have a very healthy bottom line.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Brackish

Post by Brackish »

I EDCed a mini-griptilian for many, many years. Kept seeing and hearing things about the Spydiechef. As an avid fisherman, I loved the idea of a folder purpose built for use in ‘harsh’ environments. Jokingly asked my wife for one for Christmas and the rest is history.
Spydiechef, Dragonfly Salt 2, Native 5 Salt, Native 5 Cruwear, and Q-ball (Newest Addition)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The Cruwear Delica and Cru-carta Shaman show that they will continue to be on top as long as Sal and Eric are at the helm. I'm not sure what happened to get Cruwear in Seki knives, but that was a game changer for me as a HUGE fan of both Cruwear and the FRN Seki models, and I hope to see the exclusive series sweep through the whole Seki lineup in the coming months/years. The Cru-carta Shaman was also a massive game changer as I have been wishing for a tough Cruwear/3V/4V folder with Micarta scales for years after owning many 3V/Micarta fixed blades. Unless we see a massive downturn in the economy, I only see demand for Spyderco knives going up from here.

The one thing I would change would be to switch up the steel on new releases from the standard S30V/VG10 to steels that are more in line with the design of each particular model. The Shaman should have been released as a production Cruwear knife, and the Manix Backlock might still be kicking if it was a Cruwear model. I'm not saying that every model needs to be Cruwear, but some are more suited to Cruwear, some to S90V, some to S110V, some to S30V, some to 4V, some to M4, whatever. If they can go straight to M4 or 4V or 3V on collabs, why not straight to Cruwear on an in-house design like the Shaman?? I think Sal mentioned that he is working on a design based on the Shaman. Maybe take that one straight to Cruwear or PD-1 or 4V or even 3V if it is another tough folder, especially something like a linered backlock.

Oh, one last thing I would change is for them to make some 3V folders. CPM-3V with the Delta heat treat is more than suited to a tough folder like the Shaman, C95 Manix, Manix XL, or even a linered Native (Micarta anyone?). Why they haven't done this is beyond me. If the Cru-Carta Shaman would have been a Delta 3V-carta Shaman it would have been even more nutty than we just saw.

Other than these few minor gripes (constructive criticism), there are NO other knife companies that come close to the design, quality, value, variety, and the genuineness, honestly, creativity, ingenuity, and drive for perfection of their owners and employees.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Spyderco is on top because they have sooo many products at even more price points! I truly believe they make something for everyone, and the friendly people at Golden stand behind their products 100 percent.

My favorite Spyders:

1. Tenacious - It was my first Spyderco knife that I got as a gift and we became inseparable... Until TSA confiscated it (my fault).

2. PM2 - This one maybe obvious to some... But for me this was my first Golden purchase, and I got it at a local surplus store. It definitely has more value than the sum of it's parts, and it was the first knife I modified.

3. Spydiechef - Functionality, design and top materials / craftsmanship. I love the chef and that's all there is to it.

4. Smock - This one surprised me as I got it in a trade, and I didn't expect the action to be as incredible as it is. I really think it's one of Spydercos best flippers to date.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Delica 4

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

I bought a se dragonfly aus8 with the clip molded in, in the 90s. That knife sold me on spyderco. I have always liked smaller profile, very useful knives.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

The Delica

Big enough for most day to day knife needs. Small enough for easy carry & legal blade length laws. Low enough price-wise where owners are not afraid to use them. Material quality enough to meet the owners needs.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

cycleguy wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:40 pm
Delica 4

CG
Funny I have 4 or 5 Spyderco’s in a fruit bowl on the table for use around the house and it’s the Pakkawood delica that most people/mates take out to look at. Watching someone move a M4 jade PM2 to pick up a Delica ;)

Mrs takes the yellow Salt1 every time ( must be a yellow thing )
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

standy99 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:20 pm
Funny I have 4 or 5 Spyderco’s in a fruit bowl on the table for use around the house and it’s the Pakkawood delica that most people/mates take out to look at. Watching someone move a M4 jade PM2 to pick up a Delica ;)

Mrs takes the yellow Salt1 every time ( must be a yellow thing )
I’d take the Delica every time as well (over the pm2)
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I have a bunch of Spyderco folders. Many I honestly don't like. The para 3 doesn't cut well in my uses of it. Manix 2 is too gimpy. Para 2 was what got me into Spyderco and started my love but I see the model now as not making sense. I used to love the compression lock but I can do without. However, the Native 5 is nearly perfect. Only thing would be to remove the choil (i have small hands so choiless on that is fine for me). I didn't like it at first. I bought the blurple one and and couldn't get into it. I put it away. For some reason i purchased the CS orange and s90v lightweight one. I sharpened it up and fell in love. Immediately bought the blacked out lw serrated one. I love the knife. It made me realize that 1. Spearpoint is my favorite blade shape 2. I much prefer s90v over s110v. I really want a standard g10 one and the lc200n one. I don't have any money for knives right now, so those will have to wait unless I get up the nerve to work on some trades or sells. Still, I think it is the best Spyderco pocket knife. Of course, there's others I love or I wouldn't have as many as I do.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Spyderco makes a lot of knives that please a lot of people. I found the quote. Sal's Spyderco "problem" if it can be defined as that is that there are too many possible solutions for what Shaman to make. I'd just let everyone haggle and then make them all over time.

I cannot afford the Spyderco knives that I do like because they are too numerous. And, of course I get right in there and haggle for my favorite steels and handle materials. I think Spyderco has a problem....they make too many good knives. I've never heard of such a problem and I'd be willing to bet that other knife manufacturers wish they had this problem!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

I just never feel like I will get disappointed by a spyderco knife...
/ David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

How? Innovation! Spyderco is an idea factory. They are not afraid to be different. Design in the dark and focus on what works.

The Spyderco Military, the king of all pocket knives!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?