Why no more FDE coating?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

Re: Why no more FDE coating?

Post by JuPaul »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:54 am
Eww. No thank you.

I would be interested in more abstract colors. To me, this blade screams "stolen valor". It would go great with a set of fatigues from your local surplus store... if that's what you're into. XD

Now, if they were to make a gaudy purple one or maybe a solid white one, I would be a buyer. Make it suitable for church in Atlanta :p

Also, I too thought there was a problem with the PVD that caused them to reevaluate their usage of that process.
I agree the fde/od green looks very military. My husband would never touch it - he says he spent enough years with od green and tan everything to last a lifetime. ;) But I'd love an fde dlc blade with plenty of other scale colors. Not sure about purple...but white could be interesting. Or gray.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:02 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Eww. No thank you.

I would be interested in more abstract colors. To me, this blade screams "stolen valor". It would go great with a set of fatigues from your local surplus store... if that's what you're into. XD

Now, if they were to make a gaudy purple one or maybe a solid white one, I would be a buyer. Make it suitable for church in Atlanta :p

Also, I too thought there was a problem with the PVD that caused them to reevaluate their usage of that process.
I agree the fde/od green looks very military. My husband would never touch it - he says he spent enough years with od green and tan everything to last a lifetime. ;) But I'd love an fde dlc blade with plenty of other scale colors. Not sure about purple...but white could be interesting. Or gray.
I meant scrap the FDE PVD and make it something gaudy or colorful. The scales can be whatever from there.

Here's an idea:
Solid or Shredded CF with a purple PVD blade and hardware... 'cuz I'm weird!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:24 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:02 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Eww. No thank you.

I meant scrap the FDE PVD and make it something gaudy or colorful. The scales can be whatever from there.

Here's an idea:
Solid or Shredded CF with a purple PVD blade and hardware... 'cuz I'm weird!
Oh yeah, I got you. I meant white or gray dlc could be nice, too. I'm not set on fde. But I actually think I'd like purple with carbon fiber scales, too. We might be alone, there, though! Basically I just want something new and unique.
- Julia

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

You could always just get your blade coated and buy custom scales. It'd be pricey but you would have a one of a kind knife. :)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:23 pm
You could always just get your blade coated and buy custom scales. It'd be pricey but you would have a one of a kind knife. :)
True enough, but it'd be so much easier and cheaper if some dealer would just make it for me! ;) :D
- Julia