Reverse S Dragonfly?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: Reverse S Dragonfly?

Post by steelcity16 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:09 am

I am not sold on the reverse S design, but I might be missing something. Or, perhaps it is because it does not fit into my lifestyle.

Think hard about the cuts you do in day to day life and I bet you could make most of them just as easily with a reverse S. Now think about the things that most users probably do the most on a daily basis, opening boxes and that PITA blow molded clamshell packaging. The little hook tip grabs on and allows you to really keep the blade on the material as you pull through it.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I just opened a bubble mailer and wished I had a Reverse S Dragonfly in my pocket. :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
A.S.O.K.A

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

I think the blade that the meerkat has looks more like something the dragonfly could rock for sure
Every Steel Has Its Appeal :cool:

A.S.O.K.A Edge on Youtube
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Doc Dan wrote:
I am not sold on the reverse S design, but I might be missing something. Or, perhaps it is because it does not fit into my lifestyle.
I don’t think there’s anything amazing to say about it. It’s a useful blade shape. It gets the job done. I don’t think a regular leaf shape can do anything the stubby S can’t do.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Doc Dan wrote:
i would’ve been dead set against anything like this until i got a sharpmaker. now i’m happy to try out recurves and s-curves again.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am thinking the new wharncliffe might be more to my liking than the reverse S. Still, I am always open to learning new things.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TomH

Post by TomH »

I'll take at least one or two of these.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I think the wharncliffe will do it all but better than a reverse s.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

juggler wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:49 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:16 am
A wider tip and more belly.
Surfingringo wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:19 am
I would vote for something in between

Tough crowd :)
Now that's something.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Jazz wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:22 am
I think the wharncliffe will do it all but better than a reverse s.
I think you are right that a wharnie D’fly will do most of what a reverse s would. I think the two blade shapes are more similar to each other in use than either is to a traditional blade shape. Each will still have certain advantages over the other though. I tend to do a lot of scoring cuts with the tip of a knife on flat surfaces. A Wharncliffe works great for that kind of cut but a reverse s will offer even more leverage for that type of cut without having to raise the butt of the knife. Of course the Wharnie will offer more tip strength in the same cut. For a shallow, controlled cut like opening a clam shell or scoring though the skin and scales of a heavily scaled fish the reverse s will work more safely and effectively. Mainly because the butt of the knife doesn’t have to be elevated and the rest of the hand can remain on the material you are cutting for control. I like to use a small reverse s the same way I’ve seen you using a wharncliffe sometimes. Forefinger on the spine. The knife effectively becomes a claw. A wharncliffe will make the same type of cuts but you will need to raise the butt more to get it to grab in certain types of media. The Wharncliffe will excel over the reverse s in other ways like more traditional slicing/chopping cuts. I feel like the reverse s is a more specialized blade shape than the wharncliffe but less specialized (more versatile) than the hawkbill.

Anyway, not trying to change your mind, just offering some of my thoughts on why I like using the reverse s shape. :)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I use my PE Lil’ Matriarch in the garden a lot and occasionally use the Cricket. The PE Lil’ Matriarch is my favorite gardening knife. I would be interested in a reverse s Dragonfly if it had the Lil’ Matriarch shape.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Surfingringo wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:58 am

I think you are right that a wharnie D’fly will do most of what a reverse s would. I think the two blade shapes are more similar to each other in use than either is to a traditional blade shape. Each will still have certain advantages over the other though. I tend to do a lot of scoring cuts with the tip of a knife on flat surfaces. A Wharncliffe works great for that kind of cut but a reverse s will offer even more leverage for that type of cut without having to raise the butt of the knife. Of course the Wharnie will offer more tip strength in the same cut. For a shallow, controlled cut like opening a clam shell or scoring though the skin and scales of a heavily scaled fish the reverse s will work more safely and effectively. Mainly because the butt of the knife doesn’t have to be elevated and the rest of the hand can remain on the material you are cutting for control. I like to use a small reverse s the same way I’ve seen you using a wharncliffe sometimes. Forefinger on the spine. The knife effectively becomes a claw. A wharncliffe will make the same type of cuts but you will need to raise the butt more to get it to grab in certain types of media. The Wharncliffe will excel over the reverse s in other ways like more traditional slicing/chopping cuts. I feel like the reverse s is a more specialized blade shape than the wharncliffe but less specialized (more versatile) than the hawkbill.

Anyway, not trying to change your mind, just offering some of my thoughts on why I like using the reverse s shape. :)

That’s cool, bro. What do you say I find my SE Cricket, dust it off, and carry it a couple days? The hawkbill part I get, especially on clam packs, but the rest... well, I’ll try again.
- best wishes, Jazz.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The renewed interest in the Cricket is making me really want a Dodofly and a Reverse S Dragonfly. I really think both of these would do quite well. The Dragonfly is super popular right now with the recent Wharnie and Teal S30V releases.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Bumping given recent interest in this design
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

In. A Salt?
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:15 pm

In. A Salt?

Yes, my first choice would be LC200N Salt form. PE and SE Cricketfly Salts and Dodofly Salts. These would be such great companion blades, small utility blades, tackle box knives, etc.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:29 am
wrdwrght wrote:

In. A Salt?

Yes, my first choice would be LC200N Salt form. PE and SE Cricketfly Salts and Dodofly Salts. These would be such great companion blades, small utility blades, tackle box knives, etc.
I’m a big fan of lc200n but I would definitely vote for H1 for this design. H1 is FAR tougher than lc200n and that seems like a very desirable trait in a pointy tipped design that will be seeing a lot of stress at the tip in everyday use.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:20 am
steelcity16 wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:

In. A Salt?

I’m a big fan of lc200n but I would definitely vote for H1 for this design. H1 is FAR tougher than lc200n and that seems like a very desirable trait in a pointy tipped design that will be seeing a lot of stress at the tip in everyday use.

Good point (ha!) Lance! How would you suggest sharpening something like a Dodofly? H1 would dull much quicker than LC200N, so while I totally agree about the toughness of H1 helping in strength at the tip, I wonder how easily and quickly you could touch up this blade?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:56 am
Surfingringo wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:20 am
steelcity16 wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:

In. A Salt?

Good point (ha!) Lance! How would you suggest sharpening something like a Dodofly? H1 would dull much quicker than LC200N, so while I totally agree about the toughness of H1 helping in strength at the tip, I wonder how easily and quickly you could touch up this blade?
With the corners of the Sharpmaker rods. I touch up my lil matriarch all the time with the corners of the brown rods. It is quick as quick and easy as touching up any microbevel, you just have to take great care about releasing pressure as the tip comes off so as not to round it by dragging it over the side of the stone.

I actually reprofiled my lil matriarch two days ago on the corners of the diamond rods. It works, but you have to use VERY light pressure when using the corners or you will quickly rip the diamonds out. I have reprofiled several knives with light pressure though and they are still cutting fine. Less is more. I will also admit that the corners of the diamond rods are not the ideal tool for reprofiling. The surface area is small and you have to go very light so it can take a LONG time. A set of cat’s eye diamond rods would be ideal for this blade shape I think.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Here were my very crude mockups from my Dodofly and Cricketfly threads. I would love both of these in PE and SE, but I would take any just one of them at this point to get the ball rolling! :D

Cricketfly - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84073

option a

option b (elongated blade)

Dodofly - viewtopic.php?t=84079

option a

option b (elongated blade)