K390 & Corrosion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Mastiff

Re: K390 & Corrosion

Post by The Mastiff »

I decided to put some Liquid Glass on the blade. None went on the pivot area. I should have about Five coats on before the end of the day.
I don't think we have heard from anyone else regarding Liquid Glass. Please don't forget to let us know what you think after having used it for a while.

Joe
sok

Post by sok »

The Mastiff wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:18 am
I decided to put some Liquid Glass on the blade. None went on the pivot area. I should have about Five coats on before the end of the day.
I don't think we have heard from anyone else regarding Liquid Glass. Please don't forget to let us know what you think after having used it for a while.

Joe
For sure, I will report back in a few months. I have the same setup in a PM2 that I will leave naked. It has been a good battle between the two models, so they should get plenty of use.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

GarageBoy wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:55 am
When people carried 1095 knives, how did they deal?
When?
I carry a 1095 bladed knife every day, as I have for decades. The only time it sees oil is when the pivot(s) get a little gunked up.
The only time it corrodes is when it goes too long without use, which is rare. When it does happen, it's no longer than 24 hours old, and fairly light.
It is thoroughly stained though.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

sok wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:43 am
The Mastiff wrote:

Joe
For sure, I will report back in a few months. I have the same setup in a PM2 that I will leave naked. It has been a good battle between the two models, so they should get plenty of use.

I've never heard of Liquid Glass. I am all agog to hear how it works out for you.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:41 pm
Hi all,

Long hiatus from the knife game, but I'm back in with a K390 PM2 from BBS (and now a Para3 on the way). It's a fantastic knife, and I couldn't be happier.

I've carried knives in VG-10, ZDP-189, and S30V (ok and cheap stuff), never a tool steel. I know that K390 is a powdered tool steel, and that it's more likely to corrode than anything I've carried before. I also know that some people go out of their way to "force" a patina on their M4 knives. I should mention that I'm a user - I don't own a safe, and hold no safe queens.

My question is: How many of you are actually oiling your K390 blades, or doing something else to inhibit corrosion? I've been carrying & using mine every day for the better part of a month now and there's no sign of any corrosion yet.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, just carry and use it.

The only time I would even think about it is if I was going to be around salt water a lot.

K390 won't corrode THAT easy...
sok

Post by sok »

The Meat man wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:49 pm
sok wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:43 am
The Mastiff wrote:

Joe

I've never heard of Liquid Glass. I am all agog to hear how it works out for you.
I have used it for 30 years. It is getting hard to find and expensive lately. A lot of people swear by it. We’ll see what happens
https://www.ebay.com/urw/Liquid-Glass- ... itedDate
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Ordered some tuff glide and tuff cloth for my k390 pm2. We'll see how this goes.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:57 pm
I wouldn't worry about it too much, just carry and use it.

The only time I would even think about it is if I was going to be around salt water a lot.

K390 won't corrode THAT easy...
Thank you all for your responses, I feel much more at ease. Also great to see some familiar faces names from nearly 10 years ago still around.

I think for now I'm going to leave them uncoated, and see how it goes. I use my knives, but I don't leave lemon juice sitting on them or anything.

The Para 3 came today, and it is excellent. It's the first I've had this model, and I'm going to give it dedicated pocket time for a week or so.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Matt Deaner

Post by Matt Deaner »

I have not found K390 to be very prone to corrosion. I carried a police 4 for almost a year and only oiled it during the hottest months. It fared quite well. I have had some pitting on it’s cousin, cpm 10v. Not sure why.

I have been using vasaline and chapstick as rust preventive.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

For me, K390 is worth the small amount of care I give it in comparison to my baseline standard VG 10 Endura. It really is a wonderful performing steel. I usually expect noticeable trade offs with steels that wear resistant but this steel really isn't chippy or touchy on the stones and sharpens very well. I'm really not sure how much of that is Spyderco's heat treat because so far Spyderco is the only knife I've used this steel in. It has impressed me enough to buy an extra P4 as a spare which is something I have been trying to avoid.

Joe
steeljustice

Post by steeljustice »

There is nothing i have ever found that will protect against rust and Corrosion on steels better then CorrosionX.
Slashymac

Post by Slashymac »

Here’s mine
I didn’t go out of my way but I wasn’t super anal about making sure it was wiped off and she is beautiful
Attachments
E4F7D75C-343D-4575-9362-85F83F837A2B.jpeg
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I finally picked up real corrosion on my P4. I loaned it out to someone who carried it IWB, and then I forgot to clean it up when I got it back, and stuck it in my drawer. Definite rust on there the next time I pulled it out. Cleaned it up pretty quickly, though, and now it's good to go again.
vivi

Post by vivi »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:02 pm
I finally picked up real corrosion on my P4. I loaned it out to someone who carried it IWB, and then I forgot to clean it up when I got it back, and stuck it in my drawer. Definite rust on there the next time I pulled it out. Cleaned it up pretty quickly, though, and now it's good to go again.
Anything on the liners? I've had better luck with the corrosion resistance of my blade vs the liners on my Police....
:unicorn
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I wipe a little mineral oil on my P4 and Urban from time to time, mostly if I'm setting it aside for a while.

I wipe and dry after cutting wet or acidic materials like doing food prep.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

sok wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:36 am
The Mastiff wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:11 pm
I do not force patinas and I keep mine rust free. When I get new knives in non stainless I clean them, apply tuff glide and let dry for a day. I wipe everything off then wax the blade with a paste wax. I use Renaissance wax in particular. This pretty much keeps the blade oxygen free so rust will not build up. The wax also micro polishes the blade when applying so it helps clean the blade and really makes it look good. If I scratch or scrape the blade I reapply as needed. If I get salts/blood/acids etc on my knife I wash it off with soap and water and reapply. I also use dry aerosol teflon lubes on the pivot and bearing surfaces. It takes a lot longer to write about it than do it and this care keeps much rustier steel than K390 looking rust free and shiny.

Joe

Hmm, I have always wondered about putting wax on a blade. Whilst I had my new Para 3 K390 apart, I decided to put some Liquid Glass on the blade. None went on the pivot area. I should have about Five coats on before the end of the day.
Sok, I'm curious how the Liquid Glass is working out for you. Do you have any updates to share? Thanks in advance.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Corrison seems to be a real bogey man here.

There just isn't a way to get the same performance as K390 in a stainless steel with what is currently available in steel chemistries currently produced in 2020.

Everything has a trade off, I'd hate to see folks scared off from enjoying something very special when it's not a big deal if you use and care for your knife and keep it dry.

I've carried my Police 4 since it was released in 2017 and it has brought me tremendous joy to use and carry.

There is something special about carbon steels to knife sharpeners and folks that love high performance, they always seem to have an advantage over their corrison resistant cousins at a consequence just like everthing.

Unless your Scuba Steve, or work in a special environment it's not a big deal.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
JMM

Post by JMM »

I have acid-washed (brass finished) both my Police4 k390 & Para3 Rex45 -- I know there seems to be a bit of controversy about that helping/hurting, all can say is that for me, living in the great Pacific Northwest, is that it has prevented me from having any undesirable issues for the couple years I've had both of them.... I'd do it again & will do it to the PM2 k390 I have inbound...

Cheers,

JMM
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I've been trying to hold out for a K390 Stretch. I've almost bought a police4 several times, but it's bigger than I will carry. I'm just not interested in the PM2, even with K390.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

The biggest secret to rust removal.
Bar keeper friend.
$3 for a lifetime supply

Should the worst happen like leaving my knife outside in the rain for a few weeks than I'd just sprinkle this stuff on and light scrub it off with a sponge, no steel wool nonsense.

I haven't had to use it on my k390, I just keep the blade dry and let it patina.

Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives