Reverse S Dragonfly please!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Reverse S Dragonfly please!

Post by Surfingringo »

I have been carrying my pe Lil Matriarch lately and have been reminded just what an amazingly useful EDC tool that blade shape makes. I prefer those blade shapes in smaller sizes for precision cutting and I think the Dragonfly would make a perfect platform.

Actually, I would be happy if this was just added to the Salt line. H1 is the toughest steel in the Spyderco lineup and would be ideal for a pointy tipped knife that was going to see everyday use. I would buy several, both PE and serrated, for use on the water and on dry land!
RadioactiveSpyder

Re: Reverse S Dragonfly please!

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!!

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

That would interesting. Now that I finally bought a Sharpmaker such a blade would be easy to sharpen.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I know I've seen others here express interest in a Reverse S Dragonfly as well, so it seems like theres some support for one.

I've wanted to pick up a Lil Matriarch for a while now, just to see what I think of the Reverse S blade shape. If a Dragonfly happened, I'd probably try one out for the sake of trying it.
-Nick :bug-red
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

That would get me to buy another DF.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I would love to see one as well, since I will probably pass onto M4 Dodo. Still debating whether or not to buy the Lil Matriarch from BBS.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I made a similar post awhile back. I would love a Reverse S Dragonfly and a Dodofly! The blade shape I had in mind was more cricket-like though. a Cricketfly!

viewtopic.php?t=84073&start=20

Here is my Dodofly thread as well!

viewtopic.php?t=84079
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd be in for this. It would kinda be like a mini Dodo.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Yup. Like a large cricket/mini dodo... I want one. In SE PLEASE! Make it salty.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Tims

Post by Tims »

I’ve been wanting to play with a reverse S for a while now. My preference would be for PE. I feel it has all the benefits of a hawkbill with less of the downsides.

I’ve hovered over ‘add to cart’ on a Matriarch many times but I’m not sure I’d carry it in public. It’s a very aggressive looking knife. If PE was available I think I’d pull the trigger.

So, that’s a yes for me!
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Plain edge seems the sane choice, but if you're going for the hooked tip you might as well have the teeth. I've regretted not having them on PE Crickets and my Spyderhawk.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I was stupid enough not to purchase the SE LIl'Matriarch :eek: . My Dragonfly Hawkbill is good enough ... but I would buy a Dodofly in a heartbeat ! Just bring it !
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I would rather have the Dodofly. That blade is made for a choil.

The the matriarch style reverse S works best on the Delica's handle, but I would love to see an Endela handled one.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:36 pm
I would rather have the Dodofly. That blade is made for a choil.

The the matriarch style reverse S works best on the Delica's handle, but I would love to see an Endela handled one.

You nailed it ! That reverse S edge is perfect paired with the Delica handle.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
TomH

Post by TomH »

Dodofly, please.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Dodoflycket

The more I picture this the more I like it
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
araneae

Post by araneae »

Yes please
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:14 am
I have been carrying my pe Lil Matriarch lately and have been reminded just what an amazingly useful EDC tool that blade shape makes. I prefer those blade shapes in smaller sizes for precision cutting and I think the Dragonfly would make a perfect platform.

Actually, I would be happy if this was just added to the Salt line. H1 is the toughest steel in the Spyderco lineup and would be ideal for a pointy tipped knife that was going to see everyday use. I would buy several, both PE and serrated, for use on the water and on dry land!
Lance and others, may I ask: Do you mean, that blade shape makes for an "amazingly usefull EDC tool" generally, or more as an addition to a "conventional" shaped blade and for special tasks?
I never had a reversed egde (or hakw bill) blade, so I can´t talk from experience at all, but especially that "hook like", very low tip looks like it would be great for SOME tasks, but get in the way in a lot of others (especially when cutting on a surface /cutting board I figure?)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:54 am
Surfingringo wrote:

Lance and others, may I ask: Do you mean, that blade shape makes for an "amazingly usefull EDC tool" generally, or more as an addition to a "conventional" shaped blade and for special tasks?
I never had a reversed egde (or hakw bill) blade, so I can´t talk from experience at all, but especially that "hook like", very low tip looks like it would be great for SOME tasks, but get in the way in a lot of others (especially when cutting on a surface /cutting board I figure?)
Hey Warstein, yes, it really depends on your typical usage. If you tend to use the belly of your blade a lot on flat surfaces like a cutting board then you would not be content carrying just a reverse S. If, however, most of your cutting involves the tip...things like cutting tape, opening boxes and clam shells, etc then the reverse s should serve you very well. I carry mine often and rarely if ever find myself facing any tasks that I can’t handle efficiently with a reverse S. It basically gives you the pull cutting advantages of a hawkbill with “some” of the performance qualities of a conventional blade shape.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:26 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:54 am
Surfingringo wrote:
Hey Warstein, yes, it really depends on your typical usage. If you tend to use the belly of your blade a lot on flat surfaces like a cutting board then you would not be content carrying just a reverse S. If, however, most of your cutting involves the tip...things like cutting tape, opening boxes and clam shells, etc then the reverse s should serve you very well. I carry mine often and rarely if ever find myself facing any tasks that I can’t handle efficiently with a reverse S. It basically gives you the pull cutting advantages of a hawkbill with “some” of the performance qualities of a conventional blade shape.
Thanks, Lance! (that you made me think I´ll perhaps have to try yet another blade shape... :p )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)